“Fine food on the 4th of July”
Review of The Restaurant - CLOSED

The Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We decided to get a quick lunch at The Restaurant following the annual 4th of July Parade in Wolfeboro..."the largest Parade in NH". It was a sweltering hot day and the parade was REALLY long. Stepping in to the pleasantly cool main dining room was a great treat as was our lunch...oysters, crab cake and lobster roll. Everything was delicious! The service was excellent! Bravo!!!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I guess that I ate at this restaurant on a different night than the other TA reviewers. My wife and I ate here on July 2nd. Now this is at the start of the July weekend that all tourist towns plan the whole year for. Not this one. This property is divided into a main seating room and a porch. The main seating room can probably handle about 50 people and the porch about 20. It would seem to me that if one were going to fill both areas for dinners they should make sure that the kitchen is large enough to handle all of the folks. Didn't happen. After we were seated it took about 15 minutes to get the wine we ordered....not good , but not a deal breaker. Our first course arrived about 15 minutes later and we thought we were doing well. The food was good and all was going well. We noticed that a few of the people at the tables around us seemed to be having problems with the quality of their food in terms of how well it was cooked. Not to worry....maybe they are just too fussy about their food. After our first course was cleared we waited about 40 minutes until we got our next food. Our waitress felt soooo bad that she kept coming over to let us know that our food was coming up really soon. It didn't. Finally we were just about to ask for our bill and leave , and our food arrived. My wife's seafood was undercooked. Her French fries were mush and cold. My crab cake was as soft as mashed potatoes. Not good. The problem is that the kitchen is so undersized that they can not possibly keep up with the volume of dinners. It is not the fault of the servers. They are doing damage control.the owner should close the porch and produce food of a good quality.Maybe in the middle of winter this place is a really cute restaurant,but not in July.

2  Thank JdogRossCa.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband are on a long road trip. Wolfboro is an adorable town in New Hampshire that we happened upon. We of course checked Trip advisor on where to eat. "The Restaurant" was highly recommended. We went there for dinner with great excitement. The first night we tried to go there but it was closed so we went the next night. It looked closed,again. What? Well we discovered that the front door was not the front door at all. we needed to go around to a side door to get in. It was in fact open. Not good for diners to have to search to find out how to get in. There was a good crowd waiting for tables but we got a table and were seated. The server took our order for the wine. It took a very long time to arrive. When she brought our wine she then took our dinner orders. The starters, oysters and a salad arrived quite quickly. And then it began. We waited for more than 30 minutes for the main course. At one point we were told that our dinners would be out shortly. Another 10 minutes. We had finished the entire bottle of wine before the dinners arrived and needed to order more just to have something to do. The meals finally came and were absolutely horrible. I had fried scallops that were soggy and the accompanying fries were limp and greasy. I told the server that the entire experience was just awful.....the wait and then the food. She offered to get us something else but we said no. She did in fact not charge us for the food which was good. But we had just spent two hours being pretty miserable. The kitchen could not handle the business and, in my opinion, the owner should figure this out. Take in only as many diners as the staff can handle. Get better food out and get the food out in a timely manner.

2  Thank Susie M
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I recently moved to Wolfeboro and we are trying to sample all the restaurants. Excellent food, friendly staff.it seemed everyone (patrons included) had a smile. Everyone seemed to know everybody. We were lucky enough to have Gary as our waiter. We chatted with the couple at the next table. They said they were regulars and to look for them on most Fridays, so we could continue our chat. Drinks were excellent and didn't skimp on the alcohol. The clam chowder was delicious and our entrees of local grown marinated steak tips was excellent. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank Janet A C
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I recently moved to Wolfeboro, so we are sampling the restaurants in town. Very friendly staff. A lot of locals. Everyone seems to know everyone else. We were lucky and was seated on the patio. We were also lucky to have Gary as our waiter. He was great. Knew everyone there and was a joy. We started talking to the couple next to us and had a great conversation. They said they were there most Friday evenings, and said come back and we'll chat again. Drinks were excellent and didn't skimp on the alcohol. Clam chowder was delicious and our entree of local grown marinated steak tips was very good. Will definitely go back. Only take reservations for parties of 6 or more. But we went early enough to be seated immediately.