“Nice atmosphere, variable food quality, farmed "king" salmon”

Common Man Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 29 Restaurants in Windham
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I recently visited the Common Man with my wife for dinner. I have been there many times with family and friends and have always found it to be a good value. The atmosphere and decor are excellent, set in a very old restored post-and-beam barn, but the service and the quality of the food have been slipping lately. My wife ordered a "King Salmon" special, which the waitress stated was "flown in fresh from Alaska" and I ordered a tofu vegetable stir-fry. I asked about brown rice but it was not available. We also ordered a bottle of wine and a flat-bread appetizer. The waitress came back out with a trainee to serve our wine. Perhaps the Common Man could have taught this server how to open wine for the first time before putting her out in front of a customer. I coached her as she opened the wine and explained the basics. The average customer may not be so understanding. When our meals came, we were underwhelmed. My tofu stir fry was acceptable but uninspired; the vegetables were somewhat overcooked, the seasoning was bland and the rice pilaf tasted like it came from a mix. My wife's "King Salmon" special was a big disappointment. Several chunks of salmon served on a bed of pasta that was saturated with olive oil. Now here is the real issue: the salmon was farm-raised, not King Salmon from Alaska. I know the difference and I was shocked that the CM would substitute farmed salmon for this special. It is for this reason I am rating them only two stars. Shame on the CM for falsely describing the salmon.

3  Thank snowsportsman

Reviewed September 21, 2013

If your looking for a rustic New England, look no further. We have gone for both family events and evening out with friends. Easy on and off Rt 93.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Last night dinner with hubby and friends. We all chose comfort foods for dinner - Pot Roast and Cottage Pie... Each is braised meat - one is more like shepard's pie topped with creamy mashed potatoes - the other sliced braised beef with carrots, celery and onions. I got to taste both - and liked them equally. Very filling - no dessert for any of us... Just great wine, company and food...
We love the Common Man as their meals are consistently delicious - reasonably priced. Service is always attentive. Beautiful New England country barn setting for this one. Roaring fireplace on cooler nights - Tavern feeling Upstairs bar area has beautiful seating - very intimate...

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The barn like building and delicious food make this a definitely stop when in N.H. Cannot say enough about the restaurant that others have not already said. The owner is a genuinely wonderful individual who goes up and beyond for charity.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I visited the upsatirs pub at the Common Man. Rustic atmosphere, nice bar, roomy seats not squashed together. I had a spicy, cold Bloody Mary and my friend a Bueberry Ale. Complimentarty cheese and crackers were a nice touch as well as a couple of spreads. The escargot appetizer was scrumptous! Real butter, fresh garlic, plump tender juicy snails topped with miniature puff pastry pillows and come ciabatta bread cubes strewn around the plate. For a modest price$6.99 you cannot beat it. The lobster rangoons were excellent as well. Take yourlelf for a nice coctail and a snack or a wonderful meal downstairs (I was there for an anniversary in April). An "uncommonly good" experience.