“Genuine Home Comfort with Character”

The Lion and the Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Whitefield B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at the Lion and Rose earlier this month and I highly recommend staying there should you be looking to explore the fall leaves in New Hampshire. We arrived late at night but Chris had stayed up to welcome us. The rooms had wonderful character, were very clean and well equipped. It may not be to everyone's taste but for us the very decorative rooms with their unique charm made the place stand out from the very many places we have stayed in over the years. The breakfast was fantastic and Roger and Chris really took care of us. The shared breakfast with the other guests was also a nice treat. With the exception of the rooms which, as i said, may not be to all folks tastes, the hotel was clean, comfortable and the service was great. Certainly makes a welcome change from staying in a hotel chain where you feel like you are in a revolving door with no personal service.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 11, 2008

This place is excellent. We stayed in the Egyption Room, which I recommend a lot more than the other rooms since the other rooms seemed a little more tacky. The owners were VERY nice and accomodating and breakfast was delicious, serving bacon and eggs. Location didn't matter at all to us since we had a car. We just wanted a nice, affordable, clean place to stay and we got more than that. Definitely come here if what you're looking for is a typical, old fashioned bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2008

The Lion and the Rose is AWESOME! My husband and I recently stayed there for our anniversary and we could not have been more pleased. The innkeepers are super nice and the house is gorgeous. We got a tour, and every room had so much character and attention to detail. We stayed in the Egyptian Room, which featured a king bed, a fireplace, a jacuzzi, and a porch overlooking the mountains. It was super comfortable and we felt pampered the whole time. When we came back in the afternoon, Chris had tea and warm chocolate chip cookies for us; when we woke up in the morning, we had delicious breakfasts! The breakfasts were really superb, as one morning we had stuffed french toast with raspberry sauce and the next we had Belgian waffles with strawberries. Although our room was the most expensive (at $149), it was still extremely reasonable considering the accomodations and the breakfasts we received. Plus Chris and Roger were more than willing to give us tips on where to go during the day and where to stop for dinner. It was awesome, awesome, awesome, and I can't wait to go back. Whitefield is pretty far out there though, so make sure you are really going to get away from it all and do some relaxing!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rudechack
Reviewed November 23, 2007

We had a wonderful stay at this charming B and B in the beautiful New Hampshire town of Whitefield. The owners were very friendly, a husband and wife who really loved what they are doing.
The breakfast table setting was the most elaborate I have ever experienced! Beautiful antique china and real silver 'ware' all tastefully set.
The house is a historic Victorian masterpiece, The architecture is stunning. The 'parlor' is furnished in authentic Victorian style.
Each bedroom had it' s own distinct ambiance and design. We had the Oriental Room, an exotic decor of gold and red, creating a romantic atmosphere!!
All the furnishings are authentic period pieces! The owner could have been a successful interior designer for her creative touches Each room is unique and full of surprises!!!

The breakfast itself, apart from the beautifully set Victorian table, was delicious! Homemade blueberry waffles with real blueberries, homemade muffins, delicious fresh fruit, yummy omelettes, orange juice, good coffee. Very nice and served by the friendly and helpfull owners themselves.

My in laws from Holland loved it. Whitefield and the Lion and The Rose B and B serve for a perfect base to explore the White Mountains. Highly Recommended!!

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank Ammasundari
Reviewed July 6, 2007

We spent two nights at The Lion and the Rose. Our room was the new Egyptian Room and the room is very nicely decorated and has many amenities including a big jacuzzi tub. Each morning for breakfast we had a choice of several seating times (8, 9, or 10) and the food was delicious and we never left the table hungry.
The B & B is located in a town that has very little to offer (no fun shops at all) and it takes almost a half hour to drive to a town with any variety of shops and restaurants. We felt so isolated in the area that the second day we decided to drive an hour to get to North Conway and spend the day browsing in town ( the nicer section near the wonderful old railroad station).

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank la404
Reviewed July 16, 2006

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Lion and The Rose as an anniversary celebration. The house is even prettier on the inside than it is on the outside. Roger and Chris make you feel like you are returning home after being gone, they are so welcoming and warm and it is so evident that they love what they do. We stayed in the Lion's Den, that had the most comfortable king sized bed I've ever slept in. The two person jacuzzi tub was great. Everything was so clean and comfortable, I can't say enough about it. The breakfast was the icing on the cake - the stuffed french toast was out of this world. One thing to note is that we had dinner at the Woodburn House down the street which I would NOT recommend. There are several nice restaurants in the neighboring towns of Lancaster and L ittleton, your best bet is to go there instead. Overall, a wonderful night at the Lion and The Rose.

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank SABP
Reviewed March 24, 2006

Staying at B&Bs was not something I had done in the past, but Roger and Chris have completely spoiled me. They are such wonderful people. My family and I stayed there in December of '05 for our annual Christmas Tree weekend. We go to NH, spend a day at Santa's Village, and then get our Christmas Tree at The Rocks estate. Our stay at The Lion and the Rose was so far above my expectations. Chris met us with fresh baked cookies still hot from the oven. She then took us on a tour and very proudly showed off the rooms, each one having a very unique theme. The attention to detail is superior; fresh flowers in the rooms, bath salts for the rooms with tubs, etc. We had 2 rooms. My husband and I stayed in the Lion's Den and my 2 girls stayed in the Far East room. Each room has a key so security is not a concern (not that it was). Roger and Chris then joined us in the living room with more cookies for the girls and wine and appetizers for my husband and me. We had such a nice conversation. They have great stories and also fantastic recommendations for where to eat and shops to check out.
The food was fantastic. Dinner was chicken parm. I'm usually picky about my sauce but Chris' was delicious!! Breakfast was incredible. One day was pancakes any way (plain for my youngest, blueberry for my husband and myself, and chocolate chip for my older daughter). The second day's breakfast was Chris' famous stuffed french toast!!! To DIE FOR! Breakfast was always served with fresh fruit and their special key lime tarts. When Chris found out that key lime is my favorite, she made me extra!
All in all our trip was perfect. Chris and Roger do a wonderful job. Their granddaughter Moriah was great, too, doting on my 2 girls! I highly recommend staying there. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank dnd517
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
Cabot Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#2 of 8 in Bethlehem

Been to The Lion and the Rose Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!