“Cozy, friendly, and affordable”

The Lion and the Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Whitefield B&B and Inns
Nashville
“Cozy, friendly, and affordable”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

The Lion and the Rose is a charming, renovated (and creatively decorated) Victorian home-turned B&B Roger and Chris were delightful and engaging hosts who went out of their way to make everyone feel welcomed, including making helpful recommendations for sightseeing and dining and offering a glass of wine in the late afternoon. They prepared a delicious, hearty breakfast each morning as well. Our room was one of two on the bottom floor. It was a smaller (and more inexpensive) room and thus felt a little cluttered once all our stuff was out, but it suited our purposes just fine and we were able to use the porch for extra space. Whitefield is a quiet little town without much going on, but there are many shopping, dining, and recreation options a short drive away. Overall, we highly recommend the Lion and the Rose as a comfortable, affordable, and hospitable option for couples or small groups looking to relax and explore the White Mountains area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We booked the French Quarter room at the Lion and the Rose B&B and couldn't wait to head up for the weekend. Hurricane Irene had other plans. Luckily for us, the Lion and the Rose is managed by two of the most accommodating, friendly, and kind people we've ever encountered in our many years of traveling the world. Chris and Roger wasted no time in making sure they moved our reservation to the following weekend. "As long as you both make it through the hurricane all right, that's what matters," said Chris. I knew her kindness was a wonderful sign that this was no ordinary B&B.

We arrived in Whitefield the following week, exhausted after hiking up Mount Washington. Chris and Roger immediately put us at ease, showing us to our lovely, cozy room and asking us what time we'd prefer to have breakfast in the morning. We relaxed the rest of the evening and looked forward to breakfast the next morning. We weren't disappointed. The table setting was absolutely charming, and breakfast was delicious: cream cheese, maple syrup, and berry French toast coupled with fresh, sweet fruit and muffins. Our coffee cups were never empty, and the company was sublime.

After a day of exploring the area, we returned to find that Chris has baked a fresh batch of piping hot chocolate chip cookies. She had also laid out a cheese platter and offered us some wine to go with it. After picking up some dinner at a local restaurant, we returned to soak in the hot tub, which is located in its own private room with a hammock and comfortable rattan couches. Roger kindly prepared the hot tub for us, making sure the temperature was to our liking and that there were jasmine-scented salts to add to the water, along with extra towels to help us dry off.

The next morning, we had another delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs, ham, and perfectly toasted English muffins. We felt so much at home that it was difficult to leave. Chris and Roger even gave us a couple of bottles of chilled water for the drive back home to Connecticut.

I truly look forward to many more weekends and trips up to New Hampshire, and there's no question that we'll stay at the Lion and the Rose again. How could we not? Aside from how wonderful Chris and Roger are, the rooms are utterly charming, and each one has its own theme and decorations. There are lovely portraits of family members and friends adorning the walls, adding to the house's warmth and charm, and there are enough antique artifacts and knick-knacks to pique your interest––and Chris and Roger are more than happy to tell you the stories behind them.

Please stay at this wonderful B&B––you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank NinaBambina
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I planned a very spur of the moment trip to New Hampshire in July. I found this B&B on the internet and gave them a call. The owners were very personable and accomodating. We were greeted with a afternoon wine reception on the porch where we met the other guests and learned about the area. I have a wicked wheat allergy, but Roger and Chris made sure I had a safe and delicious breakfast. Our room was relaxing with a wonderful bed. We will be going back this fall for a foilage ride. Accomodating to motorcyles as well.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The couple running the place were warm and hospitable.
The service was great, the rooms and common areas are beautiful. They are very friendly to vegan and vegetarians and will accommodate any special need or request.
I recommend it strongly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My flight out of Edmonton, Canada was delayed by 4 hours which created all sorts of problems with my connections. I had mechanical problems with my rental car and had to turn back and get a different one. I was travelling alone which compounded the problems. Chris and Roger were only worried about one thing when I finally arrived a day late. Was I safe and OK?
They serve lovely breakfasts, the rooms are spotless and have all the same amenities (plus more) as any hotel and they are dedicated to making your trip a good experience.
It was my first time at a B&B so I was uncertain as to what to expect. It was great! My sincere thanks to Roger and Chris

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jcpent
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 29, 2011

My parents and I stayed here while visiting with family in the area and we found Chris and Roger to be warm, friendly and welcoming! The food was superb and the accommodations were perfect for us. I love Victorian antiques and I loved looking at all of the treasures that were carefully arranged and the stories that Chris told us about them. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Northwood, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I have visited the Lion and the Rose B&B a number of times since 2007 and have always found quality, value and consistency that now-a-days seems rare in a vacation destination. Owners Chris and Roger Croteau have restored the Victorian home with love and ingenuity that is always a treat to simply enjoy. The well maintained clean rooms, with private baths, are a treat to experience as each is delightfully themed. One can’t go wrong selecting any room from the charm of the French Quarter to the breathtaking luxury of the Egyptian room. Breakfast, seated at the fancy dining room table, is guaranteed to satisfy. I highly recommend the Lion and the Rose to all weary travelers looking to experience a welcome home smile given by simply the nicest people in the business. Enjoy!

Room Tip: All rooms are unique, select by location and tubs