“Really a place for kids and not for a couples quiet retreat”

Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
Reviewed December 22, 2010

This wasn't a bad hotel to stay in. It is quite out of the way, but not at all quiet. There are many many children. The rooms are not sound proofed well so when the kids were running down the hallway for breakfast at 6:30 I could hear everything. No sleeping in at this hotel. The ballroom is also in the middle of a floor filled with guest rooms. The wedding on Friday night was extremely loud. The front desk told us that the wedding would be over at 10 so we would have no problems sleeping. At 11:30 the wedding was still in full swing. I had to go to a wedding the next day so I had intended on going to bed early. I really couldn't. I ended up going to the tavern for a while because the wedding was far too loud to allow for sleeping. Another couple I knew had a room above the lobby and could hear all the commotion from the lobby all day including the piped in music starting bright and early. The hotel really needs to upgrade the sound proofing of the rooms.

The hotel itself is very pretty. Very turn of the century with fine architectural detail and fireplaces. My room was large, but I was at the hotel for a wedding and there were many with much smaller rooms. All the rooms seem to be different sizes.

The breakfast offered each morning was very good with many choices. There was a little bit of a wait due to three weddings at the hotel that weekend, but the wait was not bad at all. The dinner in the formal dining room was also good. It was much better than the dinner offered in the ballroom for the wedding actually which I found surprising.

The bed in the room was rather hard, but the room was cleanly and neat. It also had a walk in closet. I didn't like that housekeeping was knocking on my door at 8:30 am to clean the room though. That was far too early when I was staying for the entire weekend.

I gave the hotel an average score for cleanliness not because of the room, but because of the room the hotel put the bride and bridesmaids in to get ready. It was filthy. The floor looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. There was stale food ground into the carpet. It was really filthy.

The hotel also has a farm on its grounds. It was very fun to go see the horses, miniature goats, and llamas. I recommend it. The animals are very interesting to see up close.

I also had some treatments at the spa. I have been to many spas all over the country and I would not recommend this one at all. The woman who did my hair couldn't french braid my hair. It took multiple attempts until she finally asked if she could just do a normal braid. For the price I was very disappointed. Also, the massage room and hydrotherapy room in the tower are not private. People kept walking through to see the view from the tower while your treatment was going on. I don't know about you, but I for one don't want people walking through the spa room while I am naked under a sheet or lounging in the bath. Spa treatments should be private.

All in all, its not a bad hotel, but I would recommend it for people with children. It is not a relaxing retreat for a couple. Children are running around the hotel at all hours of the day which is fine, but if you are looking for a quiet retreat, this really isn't the place for you.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa

Reviewed December 14, 2010

My neighbors and I went two weeks ago for a weekend, there were 20 of us, all ages. I was a little worried too after some of the reviews (I would not recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway) it really caters to kids, with that said the kids had a blast!! So much to do, not once did they even want to go swimming and the pool looked beautiful! The barn and animals were beautiful, they are extremely well cared for, Meredith the equestrian director was so wonderful on our horse and carraige ride for my sons birthday, they even brought us hot cocoa and home made cookies (we did pay for them) but a treat well worth it. We stayed in a vista suite which is very roomy for a family of 4, the standard rooms are a bit small but we were never in our rooms. The game room and movie room were great, the most comfy recliners. I really cant say enough about this hotel, the staff, plenty of them and always helpful. And only 15 minutes to santas village!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Booked this hotel through the hotel staff after reading several great reviews. I must have stressed that this was our honeymoon and I wanted to be sure we had a great experience atleast 5 times! Highly dissapointing! We stayed there the long weekend of October 2, 2010 for our mini-honeymoon. The views and hotel itself are beautiful,but that was about the only positive. We requested early check in which did not happen. Once we actually got into our Presidentail Suite there were black flys everywhere, dried rose petals from the people who were their the night before, and broken lights. The fruit and champagne we ordered was not there either. We had to make at least 4 phone calls before that arrived almost 2 hrs later and a maid entered our room upset that we weren't supposed to be in there. The hotel paid for the champagne but we still had to pay for the food. The room itself was beautiful but the service was terrible. That night we stood at the hostess staition for at least 10 minutes before being noticed. Terrible bar staff and waitress at the resturaunt not to mention the food was awful! It was really a bad experience. The flys were all over the resort. The movie room was broken, no elevator, and rude staff. We were so upset given that this was our honeymoon. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! THe mountain view can be seen elsewhere. Not worth the money or headache!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We had a great time celebrating our recent engagement. The hotel is beautiful inside and out and the staff was all so accomodating and friendly and made us feel welcome. Far enough from home to feel like we were "away" but an easy drive up 93 and we were there in like 3 hours.

Like I said everyone was accomodating and nice and I see other comments about how great the tavern manager was and she was to some guests. We were there three nights and each night she'd gush over certain diners and ignore others. She did approch our table to tell us she was in charge but that was it. We were okay with that anyway our servers were so attentive and entertaining we didn't need a manager checking up on us or them. In fact it did seem she was scrutinizing her staff and they were sometimes on edge if she was around.

We didn't use the spa or wine cellar or movie theater or farm but we used the pool to unwind and spent time in parlor and library and the tavern bar. Beautiful rooms and your bartender is a funny guy and having all local drafts is a nice touch.

We would definitley come back maybe even for our honeymoon next year.

Reviewed November 16, 2010

After extensive research on the web, we elected to reserve a three day stay at the Mountain View Grand Resort in New Hampshire to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary.
Subsequently, we were very concerned by a few "Over the Top" and extremely negative postings on Trip Advisor. We however decided to abide by our original decision.
When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly and welcoming Doorman who was quick to inquire if we had special needs he could assist us with.
Once inside we were in awe of "La Grande Dame" of the White Mountains with her Old World Charm and Splendor. The beautifully furnished Lobby was artfully decorated and arranged to please the eye and provide an excellent place to relax and appreciate the beauty of the Period furniture and the Historic Value of this magnificent room.
The veranda and grounds were immaculate, impressive and extremely inviting for an afternoon outdoors, enjoying the beautiful sunshine and a pleasant stroll on the beautifully landscaped grounds, admiring the special touches such as the giant chess set in an exceptional setting.
Our room was equally charming and impeccably decorated in the same Old World Tradition, making it extremely inviting and pleasing to the senses. It was very well equipped with all the amenities for comfort and well being.
Our charming and friendly Hostesses were quick to remember our names, our favourite table, and always welcomed us with sparkling smiles and pleasant conversation to start off the evenings.
We were fortunate to have Raoul as our Server and he made our meals in The Tavern extremely pleasant and enjoyable. we enjoyed great service, good conversation. knowledgeable advice on selections of food and wines. He also gave us great suggestions for spectacular day trips affording us the most scenic areas to visit.
Yet best of all, was our Anniversary Dinner in the beautiful and romantic Wine Cellar;candles, fresh flowers and beautiful music! Not to mention the delightful Eliah who helped make this meal so memorable. A Special Thank You to Troy for preparing my perfect Kir Royal! Our many Thanks to the Chef for such a perfectly presented delicious meal as well as the delectable surprise treats offered throughout the meal. Most memorable of all, was the Very Special Anniversary Platter prepared for us by the Pastry Sous Chef, our sincere "Thank You", it was truly beautiful and very touching!
We would also like to thank the entire staff; they were all so friendly and extremely attentive to our every need. We will certainly be back to see them again next summer as we feel we have made lasting friends of them all.
We would therefore like to post our own "Over the Top" Favourable comments on this glorious resort and it's extremely friendly helpful and competent staff!
Our stay at this fabulous resort is Second only to our Wedding Day 50 years ago!
Our most sincere Thanks to all for making our stay aMost Memorable One!

Reviewed November 14, 2010

My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary at Mt. View Grand. What a charming and cozy hotel! Gorgeous views! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were blown away by the outstanding customer service. From Tom who met us upon our arrival, to the conceirge, to Mrs. Baker and her staff in the Tavern...everyone was so pleasant and helpful. The food was OUSTANDING!! They had recently changed the menu in the Tavern....certainly not your ordinary pub-style food. We dined on Prince Edward Island mussels, lobster newburg and swordfish....every bit was a "10"! The second night we were there we dined in "the nook" in the wine cellar by candlelight....absolutely amazing....very romantic!! We will definitely be back!!

Reviewed October 31, 2010

It wasn't perfect because it's old and becaue people are imperfect but everyone who worked there was great to us and the hotel is beautiful. It was nice to sit in the lobby to read and people watch like the bride and groom making their entrance and the porch when it wasn't too windy and cold.

The bar was fun especially with the wedding people and the steak was delicious. The manager was nice but too present and too trying to be part of our group getting us to remember her name "Mrs. Baker". Bute know she meant well.

Our room was okay it was small but we wanted economy anyway since we saved money and really just cared about a clean bed and a hot shower since we wouldn't really be spendnig time in our room anyway. We wanted to enjoy the mountains and the area and are glad we did.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
The Lodge at Bretton Woods
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#2 of 8 in Bethlehem

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!