“Ludicrously overpriced. It's a duckling that has delusions of swanhood”

Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
MA
“Ludicrously overpriced. It's a duckling that has delusions of swanhood”
Reviewed November 5, 2006

Not worth it at all.

Goods:

1) Staff was *very* friendly
2) Room was big (It should be. Cost me over $450 a night). Room was clean.
3) Dinner was excellent - at Juliets and at Nicky's tavern
4) Roger the Concierge was excellent
5) The bartender was excellent. The drinks he made were great, and I had a good time hanging out at the bar with my husband. We met some neat people.
6) The horse-riding kids were very good - amiable, etc.

Bads:

1) $500 a night for what? A room with a jacuzzi in it? This is NOT a resort, at least not in November. They should have lowered the price at least by half - and waived the resort fee. Exactly what did that cover?

2) Fitness room isn't much to write home about at all. There were NO yoga classes at all, and after seeing the total lack of amenities, there should have been yoga and it should have been free.

3) The waiters and waitresses were mostly untutored and in desperate need of mentoring. Breakfast was cold. Our bill was wrong. The kid didn't know if he should bring out our juice ahead of time - little things like that that add up. After our bill was wrong, took another 10 minutes to get the right one. Not only our breakfast was cold - the neighboring table had the same problem.

Dinner the first night at Juliets was great. Great food. The waiter didn't talk much but he did a great job.

Dinner the second night at the tavern was also DELICIOUS. But the very nice, friendly and earnest waitress needs mentoring badly. Friendliness she has in droves, but our food took forever getting out to us, and she seemed 'single threaded' in that she would do the rounds beofre going to get the meal. She brought the wrong drink and then took another 10 to get the right one. She was friendly and I *liked her*, but I want to see more polish at a place that cost $500 a night. In fct, I'm shaking my head in shock that we paid that much. Insanely overpriced. Worth no more than $100 a night and that's because of location at the base of the whites.

The kid who ran the elevator, the bellhops - all friendly and di their jobs as one might expect teenagers/young adults to do their job, but this place doesn't have the muscle to hold up their purported resort image.

In the end, this is a hotel with a spa attached to it. The spa services cost what you would pay at ay spa, so what benefit do you get for $500 a night plus $30 resort fee?

HUGE ripoff.

There were no spare blankets the second night, only the first, so if you wanted to go in the other room to watch TV while spouse was sleeping, one couldn't huddle cozily under a blanket.

The toilet paper spare roll was hiding in the closet on the other side of where the bathroom was (?)

There was nothing in the room to tell you about the amenities

It's VERY amateur.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ellkay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
New Hampshire
Reviewed October 30, 2006

We loved staying here. We went horse back riding, had couples massages, and then had drinks on the porch what a wonderful place! It's worth the money. The spa is excellent, the tub overlooking everything has the best views....view romantic.

Everything was very clean and our room was large with a good view.

Some of the young staff members are just ok but the older staff members know what they are doing. The piano player was a fun guy.

We would stay here again for sure. Breakfast is wonderful too.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Food was a little expensive
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat at the bar for dinner
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bec_2322000
Richmond
Reviewed October 16, 2006

This resort has so much potential but as some have described it leaves alot to be desired. Upon check in nobody gave us any kind of run down on the hotel and its amenities. The resort was certainly understaffed. We hardly ever had someone opening the door for us, or asking us what they could do for us. When you spend this kind of money you expect to be catered to.

The rooms were gorgeous but lacked proper amenities like a coffee maker and an iron.

Room service was something of a mistery. The menu which they thru on your pillow everyday when they turned down the bedding showed a small pot of Starbucks coffee for $7.00. The first morning we paid $14.00 and the second morning we paid $11.00.

The rooms have a great view of the White Mountains and Mount Washington. The Spa was top notch, and the menu was excellent.

The older bartender certainly new how to take care of his patrons.

When management gets a manger in there that knows how to run a 4 or 5 star resort, the place will be a true getaway.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maineman44
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 9, 2006

My husband and I absolutely loved this place. The views of the White Mountains are absolutely spectatular. The resort is extremely clean and immaculately maintained. The indoor pool was the cleanest pool I have ever seen and the gym is first rate. At check in they upgraded our room w/o asking. Our room and bathroom was huge and decorated in tasteful decor. We had huge windows that overlooked the mountains so it was hard to ever close the blinds!

The staff was extrememly friendly and helpful. All were working very hard to please the guests. I loved getting the turn down service with the rose. We also had a tour with Roger (the concierge) and enjoyed the stories of the area and hotel. We enjoyed chatting with Bob and the other staff (especially at the bar), I wish I could remember all their names. It was so nice to be remembered by name everytime we entered the lobby.

Food is excellent .. highly recommend the filet (beef tenderloin) and unique soups at Maples.

We also thoroughly enjoyed our treatments at the spa and ofero tub.

Even though we were busy traveling throughout the area on a daily basis (covered bridges and waterfalls) we could not wait to come back to hotel just to sit on the porch and have a drink to enjoy the pristine scenery. We felt that we were back in time in the era of the grand hotels!!

This resort was worth the long drive, there is just not a lot of places with this type of charm left. We will be back!

• Liked — the beautiful hotel and views
  • Tips/Secrets — This resort is in a quiet town so enjoy the facilities or travel a bit to the Mt. Washington COG, N. Conway and White Mountain National Forrest
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank swiftlysaid38
Somerville, MA
Reviewed July 6, 2006

Boy, I should have listened to the other reviews about this place being understaffed. First of all, there were no more than 50 cars in the lot the whole weekend. They have no excuse for being understaffed. They certainly were not fully booked. Far from it. Food and drink took an eternity to be served in the bar area which had no more than 20 customers... I counted! And there were only 15 people in the main dining room!
Resort? Hardly! No activities planned except those planned for kids. No activity director. Heck, when we asked the desk staff about the local Lilac Festival we read was planned for that weekend, they had no clue about it! It was local! Complete shock for us. We had to find it on our own, although that festival was nothing to write home about, it seems someone at the hotel should know about local activities.
No yoga classes. No exercise classes. Nothing. We were bored silly the entire weekend. Thank god I brought games. We made our own good time by playing board games in the bar.
Now the kicker....I left 3 shirts hanging in the closet. Nothing expensive and nothing designer. Just 3 shirts that I didn't want to get wrinkled. I realized when I got home to the Boston area and unpacked that I forgot my 3 shirts left hanging in the closet. I know, my mistake for not going through the room completely before we left. I called the MVG immediately and reported my room number and that I had checked out that day and left my shirts. They said they'd have the manager call me back. A day goes by, and no call. I call again and this time they put me through to housekeeping. I get a machine and leave another message. Another day goes by and no call. Soooooo, I call a 3rd time and finally get through to the head of housekeeping. Wouldn't you know her response???? She says, and I quote, "Sorry, but no shirts were left in your closet." Excuse me? YES, 3 shirts were left in that closet! I suppose she should have said "Sorry, but our staff obviously stole them and there's nothing I can do about that." I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Given the lack of professionalism and responsiveness I observed from the rest of the staff, I can only imagine what the cleaning staff is like. I shudder to think about it.
Funny thing is....my mother once went on a cruise and left her expensive gown in her room. She thought for sure it was no use to call, someone would definitely take it. A few days later, her gown was delivered via FedEx, packed nicely with a personal hand written note from the cruise line. Maybe the Mountain View should look to the cruise line industry for help with hiring their staff. Lord knows, they need a lot of help. Immense help. Or they'll soon find themselves out of business.
And please, for heaven's sakes, remove the word "Resort" from your name! It's a glorified hotel at best! It's certainly not worth $350 a night. Boy, what a rip-off!

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank WendLBurger
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We just returned from a vacation at the mountain view grand resort and spa and loved every second of it. The food and spa were amazing. My wife is already making plans to return with her girlfriends. The staff were very pleasant and went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. This is definitley the place to go if you need a little R&R and a wonderful atmosphere. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Hampshire
Reviewed June 25, 2006

Initially they should be ordered to change their name. "Grand"? Nonsense! This was simply the worst hotel, let alone "resort" I have ever seen or heard of.

We have stayed in meager surrounding in Paris, and been perfectly happy, we have stayed in the Fairmonts, and been dazzled, we enjoy the quaint bed and breakfasts, but when it comes to a grand resort . . . they should be exceptional. THIS IS ANYTHING BUT!!!!

Here’s a brief list of what we encountered when we stayed for a recent convention of about 200 guests:

1.Dinner service approximately 2 ½ hours – though they cleared the tables in about half an hour VERY LOUDLY during our keynote speaker’s address, (mind you he is the State’s Supreme Court Chief Justice)

2.The Golf Course, disgraceful! Sand traps missing sand and filled with weeds, fairways with clumps of 8 inch tall weeds, greens with dandelions growing in them . . . oh yeah, the golf was NOT included in the $350.00 per night charge either . . . our convention was in fact charged $5.00 more for our carts and $14.00 more for the 9 holes than non convention guests.

3.The staff . . . WHAT STAFF? The “Resort” was horribly understaffed, and the staff that they did have were for the most part VERY rude, especially the management to whom complaints were made by several attendees. They were completely untrained and very uncouth. -- The bell boys stood outside the front door and spoke aloud about how they were not likely to make any money as our group were pretty bad tippers, but went on to share suggestions of how “pretending to care about how their stay was” can result in a better tip.

4.During our gold scramble we were served boxed lunches that had been sitting un-refrigerated for longer than I was comfortable with, very wise choice of the chef to include potato salad and yogurt in the lunch.

5.Some of the ladies went horse back riding, an amenity not common, but quite welcome at the resort, only problem here was, there were no working bathrooms in the stables and at least two were told to squat in a stall next to the horse if they “had to go”, (which to my shock, they actually did), very sorry ladies.

6.The kicker was, the several members of the conference and the staff hosting the conference complained, as a result the hotel asked everyone to stay for late checkout and offered a free lunch to those who stayed . . . only problem here was that they did not have the “full” (totally understaffed) staff working for the lunch. The bellboys became waiters (not even changing their clothes) they did not know the job let alone the menu, they failed to provide silverware, coasters under drinks and, oh yeah, they had a 16 year old behind the bar.

Needless to say . . . the Mountain View Grand, is anything but grand . . . wholly unqualified to handle a large party, understaffed, untrained, and unwilling to see their own faults.

I was in short, embarrassed to be a guest.

We have a rich tradition of Grand Resorts in New Hampshire, The Balsams, and The Mount Washington Resort at Bretton Woods, the Mountain View SHOULD NOT be considered in that class. If you are looking for a different venue and the same amenities and services, PLEASE LOOK ELSEWHERE!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank NHFloatFly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
The Lodge at Bretton Woods
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,362 reviews
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!