“A lovely spot and a great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa

Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
Newbury Park, Ca
“A lovely spot and a great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

stayed here 2 nights. We upgraded to a suite so we could have a view of the mountains from the front rooms. Everything was delightful. Staff was attentive, the food was great and the room comfortable,esp. the beds. Highly recommend the Mountain View if you are planning a stay in the area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

Just returned from another visit to the MVG. This place is awesome. Breathtakingly beautiful. Absolutely immaculate. We have visited several times and each time, there are more improvements. Expanding the front deck, new king mattress that you practically need stairs to climb into, new patio furniture by the pool. Probably the most important improvement is the very recent (within the last few weeks) appointment of their new head chef, Neil Connelly, former chef to the Kennedy family. His cookbook "In the Kennedy Kitchen" is on sale in the giftshop. My mother in law (who was traveling with us) already had his cookbook. The front desk manager, Paula, surprised us and arranged for Mr. Connelly to come out to the lobby and meet my mother in law and then he signed some books for us. It was such a nice touch. My mother in law was thrilled. I have to admit, in the past, the food service has been inconsistent, but the MVG works hard to get things right.
We have stayed at the MVG too many times to count. The staff have always been extremely friendly, courteous and EAGER to PLEASE. Especially Paula and Megan at the front desk. I read some of these other reviews and wonder if they had the wrong resort. Or perhaps, they never spoke up? My experience has been that the staff will always go out of their way to please their guests. My husband and I have told many friends about the MVG and they agree it is fabulous and continue to return. There are so many things to do at this resort, however, my favorite thing is to sit with a good book and a glass of wine on the front porch enjoying the panoramic mountain views. We are hoping to return for New Year's weekend. Can't think of anyplace we would rather be.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank CapalboFamily
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

My husband and I and two kids just got home from a wonderful stay at Mountain View. It was a majestic grand old hotel with breathtaking scenery. We were a little wary with regards to dining after reading other reviews, but our experience in the tavern was great. Good variety, good pricing and good selection served in a timely manner. The activities for the kids (age 10 and 7) were terrific. In fact we had planned to go to Santa's Village but ended up not even going. There was croquet, bingo, scavenger hunts, a farm, lawn chess, tennis courts and the cutest indoor pool with a mural that has hidden objects to find. My husband and I got a chance to relax and we all spent quality time together, not standing in line for rides. In case it rains there is ping pong, air hockey and an indoor movie theater. Great stay, will go again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Gloucester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2009

We booked a king room for a 3 day stay at the Mount Washington Grand Hotel. The photos really do not do the hotel justice - it's very beautiful and, yet, has a homey feel - not easy for a hotel of its size. With all the different things to do and a variety of restaurants, this self-contained resort felt a bit like a cruise ship - in a good way. Our reservation for a king room was changed to a Queen with a Grand View which was not acceptable to us as we don't sleep in a Queen. However, we were stuck for the first night as they had no King rooms. It was not a good nights sleep though the room was nice, but quite small and the queen size bed too small for us. The AC units, which were needed as summer 2009 arrived when we did, were incredibly LOUD. To make up for the room, we were moved to the Governor's suite which had two rooms...very nice,we loved the King bed and the small balcony overlooking the pond. Still the AC was very LOUD. Not a problem most of the time and at least we had AC..so we sucked it up.
Breakfast was included with the room. When we went to Breakfast we were told we could only have the buffet. During the 3 mornings we ate there we heard other people being told they could take $10 off any other breakfast and when we questioned it, the waiter checked, came back and said we could have any breakfast on the menu with our coupon. We already were eating the buffett (which was excellent), so we tried the next day as I wanted the eggs benedict only to be told no...only the Buffett. No one seemed really sure of their answer and it changed depending on who you asked. This basic piece of knowledge should be SPELLED out clearly to all staff and to guests, I am not sure why anyone would care as. Minor...but annoying....
The Tavern was cozy and operated as the bar, lunch, casual dining option and I have to say, the Lemon cured chicken breast is soooo good. I wish I had the recipe! How can a chicken breast taste so dang good?
The tables for two in the tavern are best if you don't like and don't want to see your companion as they make you sit far away! All in all, the Tavern was great and the free coffee in the morning was Excellent and nice and hot. In the main dining room the coffee was barely lukewarm but by then I had my fill from the Tavern.
The grounds are soooo pretty and the view and the veranda are awesome though crowded and to add to the cruise ship feel, guests would deposit a book on a chair to hold it and the go off...leaving people with no place to sit! Also, people felt free to smoke directly in front of the Veranda which made us move repeatedly...so much for non-smoking!
Now, for my highly anticipated spa experience. First, the place is gorgeous and well thought out. However, I arrived at about 5:55 for a 6:00 appointment (we had hit a lot of traffic on the way and I was stressed). The spa likes you to arrive early so you can relax and get into the spa feel. I had my pedicure (my massage and my manicure were scheduled for the next day due to availability). The chair had a gorgeous view, but the whirlpool (the best part) was never turned on! The experience felt rushed ( I guess I am spoiled back home, but the premium prices seemed to whisper of a premium experience!), The toe nail polish, which was applied very thick, got a ding hours later! The next day, I went for my massage and my mani to find that the mani was scheduled first. Now how, I wondered, would they do a massage with my wet hands? Luckily, the manicurist ran interference and had the appointment changed to the following day (to my boyfriends displeasure as he wanted to head north early). The hot stone massage was delicious, but it was so freaking hot in the room, I thought i was going to pass out! Once the AC kicked in, it was okay, but boy was it hot! I loved all the amenities and the showers and surely I am being a bit nit picky, but the services I get at home are better and cost about 1/2 the price. The surroundings are really beautiful, but since all of this is a service based industry, an improvement on some levels would justify the prices better.
Just sitting in the lobby in the evening was great entertainment...if you don't like kids, you probably should not go. This is truly a family friendly place to stay which still manages to be elegant enough for those of us without kids.
Perfection is impossible, but improvements can always be made. My recommendation is nail down the basics: bookings, breakfast, spa services need tweaks. I'd go again in a heartbeat....though I'd probably have my spa treatments at home and save a bundle...still, that tower tub calls......
And then there was poor Chips the barn cat who was desperately seeking a relationship with people. The little chatterbox tried to follow us home. I really hope he gets the good home he or she deserves - he/she is lost being a barn cat.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

The view from the front porch is outstanding, but that's one of the very few positive things we can say about this hotel. Our "suite" was two 100 sq ft rooms joined by a bathroom and closet. The couch and two chairs were undersized to fit one of the small rooms and very uncomfortable. Wireless internet service came and went every few minutes, making it useless. As for the service, I wish I could say something positive, but there's simply nothing positive to say. There is no food available except through the restaurants -- no small sundries shop, which one would expect at a resort hotel -- and the service at the restaurants is horrendous. Making things worse, there are very few healthy options for children; a distinct lack of green vegetables, for example. We finally resorted to doing "take out" from the limited menu Tavern so that we could minimize the wait time. You'll die of thirst waiting for service on the veranda or at the pool. In summary, its a great property being very poorly managed. Its a shame.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
eehlert, managing director at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 15, 2009
In the hope of learning the specifics of FearlessNick's experience and improving any shortcomings in our service, we attempted to contact the guest to no avail. We are dismayed that he feels the way he described and that we did not have the opportunity during his stay or afterward to offer additional service or amend his view of the resort.
As a point of clarification, sundry items are available at the Front Desk 24 hours a day along with our gift shop and Room Service is offered from 7:00 a.m. to 10 p.m. Our children's menus offer a variety of entrees including pizza, grilled salmon and pasta to order. We also offer sides of fries, mashed potatoes, rice, fresh fruit cups, and garden salads. Although it is noted in our guest directory and printed on our menus, we are sorry we did not have the opportunity to make this known.
As to our complimentary wireless internet, we have checked the reception throughout the hotel and will continue to monitor it for any variation in signal strength.
Providenciales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

Beautiful old hotel, GORGEOUS views! Absolutely love the property and best of all.....the breakfasts! WOW, amazing! We actually ordered 4 things off of the menu b/c we couldn't decide and the very nice waitress brought us extra berries! It was amazing! She was so kind as well and very knowledgable! Unfortunately we did miss seeing a moose at the end of the road that everyone was talking about...but we loved it there anyway! The bed was a little firm and the room small......but we were outside mostly and loved everything else, including the spa!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brookline, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

We stayed at Mountain View Grand for the first time this past week. It was hypnotically relaxing, to the point where we cancelled appointments and stayed an extra night! Management gave us a fabulous room in the front of the hotel, top floor, with spectacular views. There is a lot to do in the area, but we spent most of our time at the hotel because it was so relaxing to sit on the veranda, read, and gaze at the 57 mountain peaks you can see from there. The hotel is situated on a high mountain plain right in the middle of the White Mountains, so the view is panoramic and not like anything we had ever seen before. We found to staff to be very friendly and accomodating. The food service was fine, not exceptional. We often did takeout from the tavern--and took it to the veranda (you could get appetizers served there but not full meals). One day I did have fish that wasn't as fresh as it should have been. i did not complain about it, because I was so relaxed I couldn't muster up the energy! The farm was a lot of fun, they have miniature donkeys and goats.. Basically this is a beautiful resort and a very good value. I do think they have a few small wrinkles to work out, but the tradeoff is a very friendly staff that goes out of their way to accomodate, with none of the snooty, aloof behavior one often finds at fine hotels. We are already trying to figure out when we can go back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
The Lodge at Bretton Woods
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,237 reviews

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!