“great surprise”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
massachusetts
“great surprise”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Being that I have travelled extensively in NH, I thought I knew most of the hotels in the White Mountain region. What a wonderful find this place was. I found it on a google search, looking for a place to go that gave us the option to ski but if the weather was not good, to relax and enjoy a spa, pool and good food. Well, I found the place!
We have stayed at the Mt. Washington Hotel many times at this time of the year. We enjoy it very much and spoke about how it compared to this. I would say it is equally as good, and similar but a bit less formal. The hotel was not busy the days we were there, which was nice. The fitness room was very good, looked new, a great number of machines. The yoga and boot camp classes were good. One of us had a massage and really enjoyed it. The view from the top of the spa is amazing. They have a farm, and a walk over there is a must. The woman who works there really made our trip special. She is very friendly and knowledgable, teaching us about the animals they have. We ate our meals in the tavern and the food was above average. Good menu choices. One night we ate in the wine cellar. If you can splurge on a dinner, the ambiance is just fantastic, service and food were up to par.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 108, which had 2 queen beds and a fantastic view.
1 Thank marcia27
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear marcia27,

We appreciate you taking the time to review. Thank you for your kind comments about the resort and its staff. We hope to welcome you and your family back to the resort soon.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
Boston
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I have visited many hotels, and as someone who runs a newspaper, I often will write reviews once I get back home, and see what experience I can pass off to my readers. I have been doing a few up here in the North Woods this year, and specifically came up the the Mountain View for Christmas to see what it was like. Interestingly enough, although I don't normally mention it, I did happen to mention to the desk clerk why I was here, really just in passing, and afterwards I regretted that because i wouldn't want to feel as though I received any different treatment (rest assured, I didn't).

Where to begin? In terms of staff, I have not had the negative experience others have. I have found the staff to be absolutely fantastic. Friendly, attentive, sweet, respectful and welcoming in every respect. Unfortunately, I think the hotel us being seriously mismanaged on many levels, and that the staff is hamstrung by some of the draconian rules they are forced to operate under. I found it bizarre, for example, that the staff is not allowed to eat here, unless they bring their food from home. The front desk staff, each one better than the next, are exemplary, but have absolutely no authority to do anything at all for a guest...unlike the Ritz, where each desk clerk has up to $500 in unquestioned discretion to do whatever might make a guest come back again.

I'm actually writing this from the lobby, so I can speak in "real time" about the experience. The hotel itself is nearly empty. I believe they had 40 rooms sold, out of well over 140, for Christmas Eve, and this is because the rate they were trying to charge was ludicrous for what you get. When I booked last night, I was charged $370+ for a "classic" room, with two double beds. Classic, means small, overlooking the back of the building...but the view is irrelevant in that you can't see out the windows anyway because they are fogged and frozen. In speaking with other guests, most of them were paying closer to $200 for their rooms, so clearly they jacked the price through the roof for Christmas, for those of us who booked later. It would be a reasonable strategy, except the place is EMPTY. As of yesterday, it appeared there were more staff members than guests, and that is certainly no way to run a hotel. Even the desk clerk was a bit stunned at the rate I was paying, but of course, couldn't change it.

I am traveling with my two older sons, and assumed we would get a rollaway, but we couldn't fit one in the teeny room, so we laid out some blankets and one of them set up an area on the floor of the walk in closet, which is where he slept. Since the hotel was nearly empty, and we had a vacant adjoining room, I asked if there was any possible way they might open the door and let my son sleep in there, but of course they "couldn't do that because they loved their job too much." I also asked if they could potentially move us to the room across the hall, which was larger, and, like most of the others, empty....but no. Again...the place is empty. It would have cost them nothing to upgrade each and every guest to the best room they had, and ensure return visits, but no. Bear in mind, that's not because of the fantastic staff, but because that's the rule.

We are on the third floor (which is really the fourth floor), overlooking the rear parking lot, for close to $400/night, and if that's not bad enough, you have to walk up and down because the "elevator" is a manual one that will only function if the bellman is there to drive it up. If you are upstairs and you need to come down, you would "ring the buzzer," and he's supposed to come up and find you. Tried that...it doesn't work. I'm just so tired of carrying stuff up and down, so I'm sitting here in the lobby for a bit. If I'm going to be put in the tiniest room, while paying the highest price, couldn't you at least have put me on the first floor?

For cleanliness and overall condition, I give it a 4 overall. The main lobby is a solid 9, the room cleanliness is a 7, but the "out of sight" areas are a 2 at best. They have a "movie theater" which the kids liked, filled with leather recliners, but many of them are unbelievably smashed up. I'll go take some more photos. You get popcorn with your movie, but they don't have a machine there, you have to order it, and it's just microwave popcorn that the kitchen sends down. The "game room" is a great asset, but has mouse traps set up on the tables, which is disgusting. Someone apparently dropped a pair of used underwear on their way up the stairs from the pool yesterday afternoon. As of 1AM, it was still there, until I told the front desk, and showed them a photo.

In terms of activities, there really aren't any of interest this week. They had "axe throwing" this morning at 9, but we slept through it. Then a "historic tour of the hotel," and a bonfire at noon (why you would have it at noon, I don't know.). The pool is nice, but we wanted to do the outdoor skating, and it was unavailable supposedly due to the bad weather they've had. We went over the Mt Washington hotel, which was jam packed, and they had skating there, along with a myriad of other amazing activities, in a much fancier place, and for less money per night. I had already reviewed that one though and wanted to try something new.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a hell hole, or anything like that. The location is awesome, the ambiance is nice, and as I said the staff feels like family to me. I can sit in the lobby and play guitar, which is fun. I'd love to play the piano, but it's locked and nobody is allowed to have a key, other than the pianist who comes during the afternoon to serenade us. He's really good, but it's like having the band playing Nearer My God to Thee, as the Titanic sunk. It's just that on the outside it looks like a Rolls Royce, and that's not what you're getting. I initially was going to stay three nights, but can't afford another $400, and I think two nights of my son sleeping on the floor is all I can handle, so we're just going to check out in the morning, and head home I guess. Honestly, given what I've experienced, I'd love to see them comp me a room, and try and keep me for a third night, but of course that can't possibly happen, because as wonderful as the staff is, they don't have that authority. Instead, I think we'll go over to the White Mountain Hotel and Resort in North Conway, where we can get a bigger room for $150/night, and check it out.

Oh the food in the Tavern is fantastic. Great chef, wonderful bar staff, and some fun patrons as well. The food on their menu is way to fancy for what you might be looking for over lunch or with the kids, but if you ask nicely, they'll make anything you want. I wound up getting a grilled cheese for lunch, and it was yummy just like everything else here.

Anyway...I hope that was a balanced review. I really wish I had a bigger room, because I'd stay another night, but we're just done I think. Perhaps management will make the changes they need before it meets the same fate as the Balsam's. It's really not rocket science. They have an amazing building in a great location, and a staff that is devoutly loyal and loves their jobs...so it's a good start. For me, I doubt I'll be back. For the same money, I'll do the Mount Washington Hotel, or just as likely, I'll spend 1/3rd as much and do something a tad less fancy.

Steve

Room Tip: Note: I rated sleep quality as poor, only because my 16 year old is on the closet floor, and the pil...
7 Thank stevertr
We appreciate all feedback as it serves as a learning tool and makes us a better resort. However, I feel it is important to convey a number of facts that were not included in this review. The guest's disappointment centers on not receiving something for free.

The guest reserved and was confirmed a room with two beds for two adults and one child for two nights - a father and two sons. Late on the night of their arrival and long after he had checked in, the guest approached the Night Auditor at the Front Desk and asked if he would open an adjacent room to allow his son to sleep in the room - for free. His sons did not want to share a bed. The employee told him that he could not approve giving him a free room and asked him to speak with the AM manager for assistance.

The next morning and throughout the remainder of his stay he did not bring his request to a manager. As I have since learned from speaking to all staff members that had contact with him, he repeatedly asked them to get him a free room for his son. The Front Desk staff asked him if he would like to speak to a manager, he declined. They offered to change his room to one that would allow for a rollaway bed or had a sleep sofa, he declined. He also tried to mislead the staff by claiming he reserved a larger room with a mountain view and had spoken with management. Both statements were not true.

The guest spent a considerable amount of time in the lobby drawing attention to himself by playing his guitar. He became known to many managers, including myself, however, he never inquired about a free room.

We do allow line staff to make changes to a guest's accommodations for specific reasons without needing management approval. Offering to change a guest's room to better meet their needs is one of them. Understandability, giving away free rooms is not.

Lastly, I am compelled by my staff to mention the guest’s inappropriate comments towards female staff members. They found his behavior to be uncomfortable to endure.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

My wife, six-year-old daughter and I have been visiting this hotel for the past several years when we have visited Santa's Village. It is a fantastic place to stay. It's huge and beautiful and located in a gorgeous mountainous region of New Hampshire. I love everything about the hotel - it's clean, the customer service is great, and the property itself is just breathtaking. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub and a great restaurant. The food is outstanding and the pastry chef deserves an award. From top to bottom, just a great hotel - I look forward to many more years of wonderful visits.

2 Thank Cwscwscws
Dear Cwscwscws,

Thank you for your review and your continued patronage. We're glad you and your family enjoyed your previous visits to the resort and we appreciate your kind remarks about the pastry staff. We look forward to welcoming you back for many visits in the future.

BostonMA
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The Good..... The hotel has a great location with beautiful views. There was an excess of staff on hand (it seemed) which meant there were always several people within eyeshot to be able to help out or at least give a hello! Each staff we passed- from housekeeping to bellboys made sure to say hello to us. We also enjoyed the Christmas themed activities they had- a visit from Santa, arts and crafts for kids, and other things that the staff went out of their way to prepare. At breakfast the "elves" came around to sing Christmas carols and give out rubber bracelets to the kids. Also good was the farm tour, which added a fun touch for our kids. We ate at the Tavern for dinner once, and were very pleased that they had a free (kids 5 and under) kids buffet included with our meals! Made it much more cost effective to eat there, and the kids got to nibble on their favorites. We also had breakfast twice at tavern for our included buffet. Good food.

The Bad.... The rooms were very small. We stayed in a classic. I did ask for a free bump-up but it was a no-go. We had a king bed with a small sitting area next to the bed and that's it. No fridge, like others mentioned, and no view, only of the rooftops. We had a packnplay in the corner after we moved some furniture around, and our 5 yo slept in the king with us. It was a bit squishy, but I was also not willing to pay more than $350/noc for a larger sq ft room so I guess I was glad to have the option to squish into a "classic" sized room for $210/noc. The worst thing about the room was the NOISE! I am sad that they chose to put guests in rooms side by side knowing their walls are paper thin. And I mean, thin! I am a light sleeper, and I am pregnant. I finally got my two kids to sleep at 8:30pm and was left lying awake until nearly 11pm with the couple next door as we could literally hear their entire conversation. And they were not speaking loud. They ordered room service and we literally heard everything in their order, could tell when it came to their door, etc. It was uncomfortable to be feeling such a part of another couple's private time in their room. The hallway noise was also quite loud- but luckily it was passing.

The Ugly....... the only "ugly" thing I could think of was some of the service was frustrating in the dining room. One of our servers for breakfast- Samantha- was not helpful at all. We had the buffet breakfast and my husband got a coffee. She did not offer anything to the kids or I and left. Another wait staff brought him the coffee and we never saw her again. There were no spoons on the table, nor at the buffet, and my 1 yo was attempting to eat her yogurt with a fork. If I knew where to get a dang spoon I woulda got the thing myself! When I asked her for a spoon and drinks for the kids and I (included with breakfast I found out from another waitress!) we did not see her for 15 min again, and when she returned it was only to charge us for breakfast. I again asked for the spoon and drinks and she returned about 5 min later with them (it should have been seconds), and no apology. It's hard to dine out with young kids, especially when you do not even have basic things like silverware and a drink-- which, I believe would be the only job of the waitress, aside from clearing plates (was not done) and billing (which she charged one of my children for breakfast.... when I confirmed she was indeed 5 she blamed me and told me that I had said my child was a different age earlier... no. Not possible). Other than that one hiccup, service was good.

Overall: We would return again. I would have lowered expectations for the rooms, and would be sure to ask for a room away from other guests if possible for sound control. I would love to check out some of the summer activities too. I am hoping the hotel can clean up just a bit of the service aspects that are lacking and possibly work on the soundproofing or at least spreading guests out when possible. Loved the itinerary on the bed each night for the next day- helped not to feel so lost in such a grand hotel.

Room Tip: Elevator is old fashioned and runs manually with a bell boy. Ask for a lower level floor if you do...
4 Thank hughkona
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear hughkona,

Thank you for corresponding with me about your recent stay. Your feedback is appreciated and has provided an important learning tool for our staff.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with your accommodations and dining service at the resort.

I am sorry that we could not accommodate your request for an upgrade at the time of check-in.

When your reservation was made a Classic room with a king-sized bed for one adult was chosen. Our Classic rooms do not have the front-facing mountain view and I apologize if this was not clear on our website. The Grand View rooms, which was the room type offered when you spoke to the Front Desk, does have a mountain view. It is not guaranteed to be larger than the Classic room type.

However, considering your family size, a Classic room with two double beds would not have had a mountain view, but would have been more than large enough to accommodate your family and should have been offered to you upon check-in. I have spoken with Mrs. Sue Valliere, our Guest Relations Manager and we have implemented additional training and procedures to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

Your comments about your dining service are appreciated as well. The young woman who served you no longer works with us. Her leaving our employment was related to your comments.

I am glad that your experience has not deterred you from returning for another visit. We’re happy you are considering returning and we look forward to welcoming you back to try some of our summer activities.

Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Beautiful location and hotel, fun activities, nice clean rooms, but hugely lacking professional staff, especially in the dining areas and front desk which may make the stay not worth the money.

Unfortunately, the disappointment started with the reservations. The online system wasn't working, so we had to make reservations by telephone. Although the representatives were helpful and courteous, we ended up paying and receiving confirmation for a room (for four plus a crib for an infant) that was not actually available. We received a call from the hotel the next day apologizing saying there was only one room with double beds left for the weekend. Understanding that it was the system’s fault not human error, we booked the last room assuming they still had all the details of our reservation. We had to ask for compensation for the inconvenience, something we thought they would offer on their own but didn’t. They also told us to check at the front desk upon arrival for any cancellations- that they would be aware of our situation.

We drove over three hours to get to Whitefield and were very impressed by the beauty of the location when we arrived. However, we quickly realized there is nothing except the hotel in the area, including restaurants. We checked in and found that the front desk had no idea about our situation nor did they have the correct reservation details. The room was entirely too small for our family with no room for a crib. With no other place to go, we ended up putting the crib and our littlest in the closet to sleep in order to allow us to move around the nicely appointed room. We spoke to the manager about our family situation, but there was nothing that they could do. Everyone we dealt with was respectful and nice, but the lack of communication between reservation office and front desk and even shift to shift really made it much harder to deal with the situation.

The amenities were great with things to do for kids. We were impressed with the barn and its staff. The spa was very nice with a variety of services offered. However, three out of the four dining experiences we had were pretty bad. The staff was inattentive and poorly trained. They rarely cleared the plates or followed up after the kitchen brought out the food, and, at times, the silverware was missing. At one lunch, we asked our waitress what there was to do in the area and she responded after some thought, “There’s skiing, snowmobiling”, which would have been great if there were snow on the ground. We reformed the question to be more specific to the day and much to our astonishment, she directed us to local the Walmart and TJMaxx for entertainment. That was the icing on our dining experience. Our one regret was that we didn’t thank the young dining room manager on our last day at the hotel. We had the breakfast we had expected for the price- great food and wonderful service only because the manager kept on top of the wait staff and was personally going around to the tables to ensure everyone was getting what they needed. He singularly salvaged our dining experience.

Overall, we did not feel like the stay was worth the cost. We filled out their requested survey after our stay being nice but direct. We never received any response. In our opinion, definitely not the four star hotel they hope to be and expectations need to be weighed before you choose to stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room away from the stairways- the older hotel walls are thin and sounds from pe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DayDreamer365
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear DayDreamer365,

Thank you for corresponding with us about your stay in October.

We are constantly striving to improve our performance and view all feedback as a learning experience.

I am glad you were able to correspond with Savannah Mitton, our Reservations Manager, and she was able to amend your concerns. We hope to welcome you back to the Mountain View Grand in the future.

Bedford
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We stayed at the Mountain View Grand for Thanksgiving. The location is exceptionally beautiful. We were there as a large party of extended family, and the service and amenities were great. The resort was able to accommodate our many needs, and my children (ages 10 and 11) had the time of their lives with the freedom to swim, play in the game room and watch movies in the theater, all on their own accord. This was not our first time at this resort, and it will not be our last.

• Stayed November 2013
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Mussmo,

Thank you for your review. We're glad that you and your family enjoyed your return visit to the resort. We look forward to welcoming you once again in the future.

Hinesburg, Vermont
Reviewed December 19, 2013

The buffet was set in the second floor ballroom, nice setting, good variety of food. With the buffet I expected to self serve. I did not expect to bus our table.
Plenty of staff just not observant. One event was when someone picked up one of three used soup bowls. I had to interrupt a staff conversion to point out the other two. Three of our party were selecting the main portion of the meal.
Eventually I got the bill, but the presenter disappeared. We finally move on to the 2.5 hour drive home. A letter to the Inn got a quick phone response and emails of thanks for the input, we'll be better next time. I am not sure i want to try another long drive and $250 to see if they are improved. Perhaps they should have two options for the buffet: one price for the buffet and a second price for the self busing option.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leon1946
MVGManager, Director of Food & Beverage at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Leon1946,

Thank you for taking the time to correspond with me about your recent stay in November. I am sorry that you felt you did not receive the appropriate attention from your server during our Thanksgiving Buffet. As Nick Stanton, our Banquet Captain, explained to you on the night of the event and in my subsequent correspondence, your server stepped away from her station to arrange a birthday cake and candle for a young girl. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you.

I am happy that we were able to amend your concerns in the end. Your feedback is appreciated.

Chef Adam Parker
Director of Food & Beverage
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
Hampton Inn Littleton
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#1 of 8 in Bethlehem

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!