“A great place for a business trip with family along”

Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
New Hampshire, USA
“A great place for a business trip with family along”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I brought my family along to a business conference at the Mountain View Grand and truly the hotel had something to offer to every one! From the moment we arrived the staff was friendly and helpful - really helped us all destress. The room was comfortable, the food was very good and the conference facilities were convenient. While I conferenced my family swam in the pool, played games of chess and did puzzles in the lounge and entered the daily axe throwing contest. I made it to the nightly BINGO game and won a free trip to the spa - lucky me! Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to adults and families with kids of all ages, even teens.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Diosa18
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Diosa18,

We're glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your review and kind remarks about the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We've stayed at the Mountain View Grand several times, most recently July 26 and 27, 2013. This refurbished Grand Hotel is a lovely place to spend a long weekend. Staff were so helpful and the food was outstanding! While we were there with friends for the weekend, we toured the surrounding area - visited Cannon Mountain for wonderful views of the White Mountains; Franconia Airfield for an introductory flight with the Franconia Soaring Association; and, rode the Cog Railway to the top of Mount Washington. A wonderful weekend and the Mountain Grand Hotel & Resort was a perfect base location.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel face several of the White Mountains!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CalebBoston,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind remarks about the staff and the food. We hope to welcome you back to the Mountain View Grand in the future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just got married. We went here for our honey moon. First impression of this place was pure amazement. The great views,friendly staff,great food and fun activities make this place a must see and stay. The food was amazing. The staff was very friendly and always there to help you out with whatever you needed. The ax throwing every morning was great fun. I personally enjoyed that a lot. There was also a fire every night, they served up complimentary s'mores which were delicious. The classic environment mixed with modern flare make this place simply great. We will be making this our yearly anniversary vacation destination for many years. In conclusion great place,food,staff and fun activities for all ages.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul M
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Paul M,

Congratulations on your marriage! We are honored you chose the Mountain View Grand to spend your honeymoon. Thank you for taking the time to review. We're glad to hear you're looking to return yearly for your anniversary and we look forward to welcoming you.

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Easy to find, very helpful staff. From check-in to restaurants to services, all helpful and gracious. Extremely comfortable bed, Nicely appointed room. Many activities throughout the day and evening. You totally forget there is a world out there and completely relax.

Room Tip: Front of building may have a beautiful mountain view, but the room gets very warm due to south sun a...
Dear Nonnix2,

Thank you for reviewing and for your kind words about the resort. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Lancaster, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I recently visited the Mountain View Grand for the Annual North Country Chef's Challenge which is a food tasting event for local chef's. I have never stayed the night at the Resort but have been to several business meetings there and have always been impressed with the stunning views, elegance, cleanliness, and professionalism of the staff. This was a great location to hold the Chef's Challenge as the banquet room was plenty big enough, was clean, had great bar service, and the staff were kind, professional, and timely in cleaning up the tables between tastings. The overall presentation of the Challenge was excellent and the food was fabulous! The Mountain View is definitely worth a trip and if you happen to be in the area for the North Country Chef's Challenge, it is an awesome event to attend to enjoy some delicious local foods (you can purchase tickets ahead of time or right at the event).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear LancasterLocal2013,

Thank you for your review. We were honored to be a sponsor for the Annual North Country Chef's Challenge. We appreciate your kind remarks about our staff and the resort. We hope to welcome you for an overnight visit in the future.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed November 4, 2013

reservations for a sunday night after a food tasting event.....found the staff to be very friendly & knowledgeable....the rooms were fine for the price....dinner however left a lot to be desired....when paying over 200.00 for dinner you expect something special....it was special all right (1) they forgot and left us seating in the foyer (2) food in the wine cellar was expensive and over cooked not to mention very small portions..it was susposed to be special it was not....in the morning breakfast in another room was a bit better but still nothing special and over 40.00...all in all nice place if you do not eat have traveled to many resorts here and abroad and this was not the best however it will be remembered

Room Tip: make sure to ask for kingsize bed
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Monique D,

Thank you for your comments.

We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. I am glad that you were able to speak with Mr. Adam Parker, our Food & Beverage Director and that he was able to address and amended your concerns.

We hope to welcome you back to the Mountain View Grand again in the future.

Grafton, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa from November 1st until the 3rd. We were there as a belated 2 year anniversary celebration. We absolutely loved our stay with very few complaints! The views and the area are simply beautiful as is the hotel. I was also very excited to learn that the Spalding Inn is about 1/4 mile up the street (for those Ghost Hunter's fans out there). The staff and service were great! Everyone was very friendly and very helpful. Room service was extremely quick. We ordered dinner through room service on Friday night and received it probably within 15 minutes which was amazing. We also used room service for breakfast both Saturday and Sunday morning by using the cards you hang on the outside of the door. Both mornings our food was right on time! Food was delicious! Saturday we had lunch at the bar at the Tavern with a drink. The bartender on for Saturday's lunch was great with getting us our food and drinks right away! We also ate dinner Saturday night at the restaraunt part of The Tavern and the waiter was great as well and the food was once again delicious!

Our only bad experience with The Tavern was Saturday night when we went down at 7:45. The bartender acknowledged us but due to a particular set of difficult people taking up a great deal of time it took her 30 minutes to even come over and ask us what we would like to drink. It took another 15 minutes from then for us to get our drinks due to the again difficult customers she was waiting on. While I understand the need to make every customer happy it is quite an oversight to spend 45 minutes pleasing some customers while completely overlooking everyone else. I assume these people were very important as they had the bartender, chef, and I assume the hotel manager on duty (as well as a few other people) assisting them and bending over backwards for them. I believe this was a huge oversight on our part as well as the other people who had to wait and be ignored for someone else. The least they could have done was send the bartender or someone else over to assist us and the others who were waiting instead of focusing 45 minutes on this particular group of people. We found this to be a huge inconvenience to us and very poor customer service. I have gotten up and walked out of restaraunts for much less but seeing as this was the only option and place to go we were stuck. We had heard the lunch time bartender talking about how there was only 1 bartender on for the night since there was only about 150 guests. I think regardless of how "slow" a night is a back up plan should be in place for events such as this when you have demanding and difficult customers who cause everyone else to be forgotten about.

So when all is said in done though the food was still fantastic! My boyfriend and I enjoyed the campfire s'mores on Friday night after arriving! It was delightful! On Friday night we were able to "reserve" the movie theater for a midnight showing of "The Bourne Identity". We chose this time as we figured no one else would come join us so we could have the theater to ourselves. Which we did and that was lovely! Everything was nice about the movie theater except the reclining leather seats. Most of them were broken or falling apart which I didn't mind as much as my boyfriend did. He thought the the theater seats should have at least been replaced or kept up with. Overall I thought it was just a nice touch that they had a theater we could use and enjoy a movie with some free popcorn!

We also used the pool, hot tub and sauna several times and enjoyed that! We walked the grounds for a bit and took a walk down to the farm on Saturday around 3pm. The farmer happened to be down there and she was very nice and pretty much gave us a private tour and talked to us about every animal and their different personalities and answered all our questions. I am a huge animal lover so I loved that part! I got to pet some of the goats who came up to me and my boyfriend attempted the "nosing" technique with the alpacas. The farmer also directed us down back to where the Scottish Cows were! When we got back from checking out the farm animals we were freezing and pleasantly surprised to find hot cider and cookies available in the lounge which was perfect to warm us up! We enjoyed the views of the mountains from the lounge and warmed up with our cider.

Saturday my boyfriend and I both enjoyed manicures. I loved mine! He was slightly disappointed with his as he did not have everything that was described in the description done to him. Haley did my nails and was very nice. I was quite sick the whole weekend and while I'm sure she wasn't thrilled to be sitting across from me she never let anything on and was very polite and friendly and professional. We also enjoyed a couple aromatherpay massage. I wish I remembered the name of the gentleman who did my massage. I had told him it was my first massage ever and he took the time to explain everything to me beforehand so I felt much better about it as I was nervous! The massage was very relaxing and both myself and my boyfriend loved them! It was a great experience!

They also have classic games around that are fun and a game room! My boyfriend and I enjoyed a game of mancala and we played some air hockey and ping pong which we both loved! We missed the axe throwing competition on Saturday morning which we were sad about as we had wanted to try but it was our own faults for getting up late and missing it! We were able to watch other people participate in it which was nice.

The room - ah yes, can't forget the room. We stayed in room 255! We loved the room! It was big and so was the bathroom. We had 4 windows. The 2 to the left weren't worth looking out as we had a lovely view of the water tower and a fenced in area. But the 2 windows to the right had a great view of the mountains and a little pond that was right outside the windows which we both loved that view! I thought that for the price of the stay the TV was quite outdated. I've stayed at Holiday Inns that have nice flat screen TV's for 1/4 of the cost of the room! Here we had a big old dinosaur TV but nevertheless we really didn't spend much time watching any TV. The bed was absolutely fabulous! It was like laying on a cloud and being wrapped in it. We both slept great! Wish we could have taken the bed home! We found it to be a nice surprise that house keepers would comein at night and fold back the sheets and leave some chocolates on the bed as well as close the blinds! We both found that to be a nice little touch.

A few other things we loved was the pianist that they had play every night in the lounge! It was really nice. We also enjoyed the oldest working elevator in NH. The elevator operator was kind enough to let my boyfriend take a picture of the inside of the elevator. We also loved the book shelves that were in all the hallways. From what we gathered they were there for people to read during their stay or for a book exchange possible. Another thing that I personally liked (since I'm a kid at heart) is the mural in the pool room where there was actually a list of hidden items and animals in the mural that you could search for. I spend Friday night circling the pool and the room searching for everything while my boyfriend was swimming.

Overall, despite a few things that could be worked on or imporived, it was a great experience and we loved it! We would definitely go back and recommend it others! I walked away with almost 200 pictures of memories! We are hoping to be able to go back next fall as well! Maybe even stay for an extra night!

P.s. - One last note on our room. When the electric heat kicks on it makes a very loud banging noise. Thankfully I was so sick that I was able to sleep through it as it made the nosie every 10-15 minutes. Otherwise the room was quiet and great!

Room Tip: Room 255 is not bad! Just don't bother looking out the 2 left windows unless you want to look at...
1 Thank Brittany G
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Brittany G,

Thank you for your considerate and in-depth review. We're glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your anniversary with us. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced in the Tavern on Saturday night. I have shared your comments with Mr. Adam Parker, our Director of Food & Beverage and several steps have been implemented to address your concerns.

I am happy to hear that your Tavern experience did not mar your stay and that you were able to take advantage of the many amenities we have to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort next fall!

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
Hampton Inn Littleton
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#2 of 8 in Bethlehem
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!