“Historic Night's Sleep”

Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Wedding weekend at the Mountain View Grand Resort. Much like the other Grand Dames of New England Hotels this was like staying in a museum. The difference is that this one looked like it was built yesterday! The restoration was so nicely done that that I felt like I was there for the original grand opening.

The person with the fortune it took to do this masterful restoration must think he is a great hotelier as well. Unfortunately, he / she isn't. The staff was uniformly, eager, young, inexperienced, and inadequately untrained.

The bar was particularly noteworthy. At lunch the bartender left the menu's on the bar expecting us to cross the room to pick them up. Want to order...shout because he isn't coming to the table. While he did bring the meals, it was up to us to scrounge up the salt and pepper.

That night I went to the bar, ordered a soda, and threw $5.00 on the bar. The bartender (a different one) ask if I wanted change! She wasn't being rude and asking for a 100% tip. She just didn't have any change! There was no money in the register! I stood there for 5 - 10 minutes waiting for her to scramble around trying to find a manager.

Lunch was apparently a disaster as well. My Wife reported that they comp'd everyone's lunch because it had taken so long to deliver that some had to leave for other commitments.

Please note that my criticism is fairly minor. Nothing that can't be easily corrected, and nothing that would prevent my returning. On the plus side the staff, though inexperienced, was eager, and attentive. The room attendants were exceptional. The buffet was as complete as you could desire. Fresh fruit, three kind of eggs, pastry, etc. I wasn't dazzled by dinner at the reception. It was OK but a foodie would sneer. About what you would expect from a chef preparing an intimate meal for 160 people.

There were plenty of activities. Golf, pool, sauna, hot tube, bon fire. Really nice spa. Not much in the way of free weights, but every modern machine you could desire

P.S. There is a great guitar shop in Littleton

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank rjr4945
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear rjr4945,

Thank you for your comments.

We appreciate your review as we value the feedback of all of our guests. Please accept my deepest apologies for the issues you experienced in the Tavern.

I have addressed your concerns regarding your dining experience with our Food & Beverage Director and the staff you came in contact with. Additional training is being implemented to remedy these issues.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to return. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We arrived on a very rainy day, but the bellman came out to our car and helped us get settled. This was the beginning of a very pleasant stay. The room, the spa, the meals, the activities, everything was very good, but the service was excellent. We would consider this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Vincent D,

Thank you for your review. It's great that your stay was enjoyable and that you are considering a return visit. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

There is too much to write about this amazing hotel and all the amenities offered. We purchased a Groupon coupon for $149 to stay in a beautiful room overlooking the mountains last night. The service was top notch, everyone bent over backward to help you. There is a theater that has recliners and over 500 movies to choose from (they will bring you fresh popcorn too!), a state of the art fitness center (exercise classes are offered), two beautiful pools, a golf course, multiple tours, a farm to visit, hiking trails, tennis courts, cookies and beverages in the afternoon, a bonfire complete with s'mores, and the coolest thing, an axe throwing lesson and competition - all complimentary! We also had dinner in their restaurant in the wine cellar and had lunch in their tavern, both exceptional. We can not wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear NewHampshire3,

Thank you for your review! We are proud of the numerous amenities we have to offer and it's great that you were able to participate in many of our activities. We're glad to hear you are planning a return visit. We look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Truly enjoyed our wonderful 2 night stay. The amenities are top drawer. The special little things they do here are so appreciated. I left our room and told the maid we were out (had to attend a meeting before I actually checked out) and she actually went out of her way hours later to find me and tell me I left my robe on the back of the door in the bathroom. The refreshments on the front porch, turn-down service, etc., were wonderful. I was a little surprised that the room was on the small side (room 17) which I heard from another traveler also. But the bathroom was huge so I'm thinking it may have been a special room for the handicapped (?) Our bike trip (we brought our bikes) was nice but the route they gave us included an incline that only the practiced cyclist could make the return trip. My husband had to drive back and pick me up. The valet was so helpful with our check-in and everyone was very friendly. Lots to do here. You'll enjoy your stay. Oops, forgot the state of the art gym - very impressive! The team that led the ax-throwing activities that my husband took part in were very knowledgeable, enthusiastic and made sure we had a good time!

Room Tip: Some rooms are smaller than others - like room 17.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear va2vt,

We appreciate you taking the time to review. Thank you for your kind remarks about the resort and its staff. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back at a another time!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay very much. Try the axe throwing and the mountaineering club for the children. The activities director and staff were very kind and full of energy. They packed us a snack bag for our ride home!

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear 1us,

Thank you for your review and considerate words about our staff. We hope to see you around the resort again soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Mountain View Grand, and we will never go back.

Let me start with the punch line -- after experiencing horrendous service at a dinner that last nearly 3 hours (with 2 young children), we went back to our room to discover one of the chocolates left on my daughter's pillow by the turn down service had been eaten by a mouse! The chocolate was completely gone and the wrapper was on the rug next to the bed shredded into tiny pieces by a tiny rodent. Needless to say my 6 and 7 year old daughters were horrified. When we notified the front desk they said they had never experienced such a situation before, and they were less than sympathetic (I later asked one of the housekeeping staff the same question and she said admitted that it happens all the time). We asked for a new room, and we were told that the hotel was full and they couldn't do anything about it. By this point in the night it was nearly 11pm (did I mention the awful and slow service at dinner?) so we didn't have a lot of options. The manager at the front desk offered to give us $50 off the room for the night. Seriously?? I am spending about $450 a night for a room that mice are free to climb up on the bed and walk across my daughter's pillow. Disgusted, we refused to pay, cancelled the rest of our reservation, and left first thing the next morning.

In addition to the mouse problem this hotel has, the service was even worse. We were encouraged to make reservations for dinner when we checked into the hotel -- which we did. When we went to the restaurant for our 7pm reservation, the young man at the hostess station told us he had no record of a reservation and that we would need to wait at least 30 minutes. We originally thought he was joking as he said it without any remorse and with a completely strait face. He was completely unapologetic and didn't waste 15 seconds thinking about a way to resolve the situation. We were eventually seated (in a nearly half empty dining room) at 7:20. Unbelievably, no one even looked our way for 30 minutes after being seated – no water, no drinks, no bread, etc. I finally tracked down the unapologetic host to let him know, and he seemed surprised the we had been completely ignored (still no apologies). The unapologetic waitress came by shortly thereafter and took our orders. After ordering, the food took another 50 minutes to arrive at the table. So now it was nearly 9pm, and we are finally eating our meal. The baffling thing about the whole situation was the fact that the restaurant was half empty.

This is supposedly a high end hotel, however my family and I would completely disagree. The service was awful. The room we originally checked into smelled like cigarettes. There were mice in the room. These are not what I would categorize as luxury. Go elsewhere.

We will never be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank KOBBoston
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear KOBBoston,

Thank you for your comments. I have attempted to contact you in the hope of amending you concerns, but have not heard from you. Please accept my sincere apology for the situation with your guest room and dining service.

I have meet with Sue Valliere and Shelby Stetson, our Guest Relations Managers, as they attended to your concerns during your stay. While I learned that they made your stay complimentary, I am sorry that we could not have been more accommodating. We do have an extensive professional pest control program in place and additional measures have been taken specific to your experience. I have also addressed your comments with our restaurant and housekeeping departments. We have provided supplementary training with all associates.

If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail or you have further concerns, please contact me at your convenience.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We found a deal on Groupon, and planned our 3 night visit to avoid the summer / holiday traffic - and the hotel / golf course exceeded all expectations. Our room was on the first floor with a balcony over a babbling brook and exquisite view of the Presidential Range. It was clean (with a large walk-in closet) and the shower was hot with strong water pressure. Coffee is served in the lobby (there's no pot in the room), and wifi was free. The golf course was deserted and we played all 3 days of our visit - with unlimited golf (including a cart) for $25 - and we especially enjoyed lunch in the club house. We took advantage of the indoor pool, hot tub and sauna - and mostly had it to ourselves. The spa was lovely (I enjoyed a pedicure), and we'd like to return for other spa treatments. Breakfast and dinner at the Tavern were fine, but Grandma's Kitchen (about a mile towards Whitefield) was delicious and an excellent value. We plan to return to the hotel - and will again arrange a visit to miss the tourist season.

Room Tip: Guests who booked via Groupon stayed in the most desirable rooms - with balconies.
1  Thank LuckyLobsters

Dear LuckyLobsters,

Thank you for taking the time to review. We're glad you enjoyed the time you spent at the resort and that you are looking to return. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
The Lodge at Bretton Woods
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#1 of 8 in Bethlehem

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!