Wedding weekend at the Mountain View Grand Resort. Much like the other Grand Dames of New England Hotels this was like staying in a museum. The difference is that this one looked like it was built yesterday! The restoration was so nicely done that that I felt like I was there for the original grand opening.
The person with the fortune it took to do this masterful restoration must think he is a great hotelier as well. Unfortunately, he / she isn't. The staff was uniformly, eager, young, inexperienced, and inadequately untrained.
The bar was particularly noteworthy. At lunch the bartender left the menu's on the bar expecting us to cross the room to pick them up. Want to order...shout because he isn't coming to the table. While he did bring the meals, it was up to us to scrounge up the salt and pepper.
That night I went to the bar, ordered a soda, and threw $5.00 on the bar. The bartender (a different one) ask if I wanted change! She wasn't being rude and asking for a 100% tip. She just didn't have any change! There was no money in the register! I stood there for 5 - 10 minutes waiting for her to scramble around trying to find a manager.
Lunch was apparently a disaster as well. My Wife reported that they comp'd everyone's lunch because it had taken so long to deliver that some had to leave for other commitments.
Please note that my criticism is fairly minor. Nothing that can't be easily corrected, and nothing that would prevent my returning. On the plus side the staff, though inexperienced, was eager, and attentive. The room attendants were exceptional. The buffet was as complete as you could desire. Fresh fruit, three kind of eggs, pastry, etc. I wasn't dazzled by dinner at the reception. It was OK but a foodie would sneer. About what you would expect from a chef preparing an intimate meal for 160 people.
There were plenty of activities. Golf, pool, sauna, hot tube, bon fire. Really nice spa. Not much in the way of free weights, but every modern machine you could desire
P.S. There is a great guitar shop in Littleton
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Founded in 1865 and set on 1,700 acres with sweeping views of the White Mountains, Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa is New England's premier historic mountain resort. It was the only resort or hotel in the state to earn AAA Four Diamond awards in both Lodging and Dining for since 2008. With stellar dining choices from the gourmet selections in the wine cellar to casual meals in the Tavern or spectacular views at the seasonal Club House and Veranda, guests find a style and price to fit their mood. With a full-time Activities Department and complimentary children's programs, guests enjoy hiking, kayaking, biking, indoor and outdoor pools, a health and wellness center, golf on the resort's historic course, and four Classic Clay tennis courts. In winter, it's time for cross country skiing, snowshoeing, snow tubing, ice skating, snowmobiling, and dog sled adventures. Mountain View also provides the opportunity to choose from over 500 movie selections in the in-house movie theater. Mountain View Farm features friendly animals at the Big Red Barn. Evening activities include marshmallow toasting over an open campfire. Conde Nast Traveler named Mountain View one of North America's top five resort spas for 2008. There are great views high in the landmark Tower Spa, with an infinity-edge Sok tub and side-by-side massages a specialty. The Presidential Suite has spectacular vistas, a private wet bar, fireplace, flat-screen TVs, hand-painted furniture, and a lovely dining area with French doors. The elegant master bedroom has a king-size bed and cozy window nook while the master bath features a luxury whirlpool. Business meetings are served in 20,000 square feet of flexible conference space with built-in AV equipment and reliable internet and cell phone service. Mountain View specializes in storybook weddings in the domed Crystal Ballroom with its famed hand-painted ceiling or the century-old gazebo on Grand Fountain Terrace. Mountain View Grand is 100% wind-powered and has been recognized as an Environmental Champion by the NH Lodging & Restaurant Association. The resort is a proud member of Historic Hotels of America. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mountain View Grand Resort And Spa
- Mountain View Grand Hotel Whitefield
- Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa White Mountains, NH - Whitefield