“Ax Trowing with Ms. Baker Rocks!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa

Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
New Hampshire
“Ax Trowing with Ms. Baker Rocks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had a great time at the Mountain View Grand Resort and Spa this August for a week long doctoral residency! The entire atmosphere of the resort was perfect. The views were incredible. A highlight for sure was ax throwing with Ms. Baker. Great Fun!! We laughed so hard. I will definitely be back for a personal visit.

Room Tip: The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear memorykeeper,

Thank you for your review and your kind words about Ms. Baker. Your comments are appreciated and have been shared. We look forward to welcoming you in the future for a personal visit!

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
natick, ma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I certainly agree that the overall property and views are stunning. This is a great place for rest and relaxation. The front porch is the hotel's greatest asset, but also the great hiking/walking trails, outdoor pool, and mountain setting. The other assets have been documented, so I'm going to focus on areas for improvement.

My number one concern about this property is customer service, or lack thereof. On our first evening at the hotel, we took our 11-month-old daughter to the playground and put her on the baby swing. The swing broke while she was swinging. She fell to the ground, face was bleeding, she was screaming. Fortunately, we got some help from another hotel guest, since the hotel staff did very little for us. Considering this could be a HUGE liability for them, I was surprised that we didn't even get an apology for their defunct equipment. When I told the manager on duty about it at the front desk, she just stood there and looked at me and said, "well, I guess we should fill out an accident report." After filling out the accident report, there was no follow-up by the hotel staff until my wife went to them 24 hours later and asked what was going on. Then, several hours later, we finally got a call saying that the hotel's insurance had been notified, in case we needed to go to the doctor. And that was it.

There were several smaller issues having to do with the dining experience. I also mentioned this to the front desk - as did several other guests - and, again, we received no apology. Just blank looks and then one of the employees said "Yes, we hear that a lot." So, what are you going to do about it? Again, no apology. Apologies go a long way.

The food is tired and bland but, moreover, the service is incredibly slow. If you ask for a condiment or extra napkin, be prepared to wait for a very long time. Also, there needs to be some more informal dining options for families, or even just a place to grab a coffee in the afternoon, or a quick snack, without having to sit down and be waited on (since it takes so long!)

There is also really poor communication among the staff. They overcharged us for something on our room service bill. We called to have it removed and were assured this would be done; however, when I checked out on our final day, the charge was still there. Another example is that I asked if we could check out 30 minutes late (at 11:30), since our baby was napping. The front desk said this was no problem, however, at 11 am, a cleaning person was in our room asking why we were still there, since she didn't have us down for a late check-out.

The staff would all benefit from some significant customer service training. I feel if you solved this issue - and upgraded the food quality and variety - this place would be a homerun.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank meredithd
With all due respect, this situation has not been accurately described and warrants further clarification.

I am very sorry the child was injured during a recent stay. The safety of our guests and employees is our first priority.

The resort playground is located directly adjacent to the children’s activity center. The playground and center are the hub of all family activities. The center is staffed from 7:00AM to 8:00PM. A safety inspection of the playground is conducted and documented daily. Guests use the playground at their own discretion.

The swing set has three swings each a different type – an infant swing with a solid plastic seat and a “T” in the front to prevent small children from falling out, a toddler swing with a strap and clip and a regular flexible plastic swing. The guest placed the 11-month old child in the toddler swing.

At 4:55PM on August 12th, the guest came into the activities center with their small child crying. Joe Cassidy, James Alexander and Matt Cook, our activities counselors, tended to the child’s needs by providing first aid with an ice pack, sterilizing cream and band-aids. The guest claimed that the swing had malfunctioned. Joe Cassidy inspected the swing and found it to be working properly. The connections to the swing were secure, the belt in place and the belt clip working properly. As a safety precaution, he removed the swing until his immediate supervisor inspected it. Later that evening the counselors met the guests and child at our nightly campfire. They inquired how the child was doing. The guest responded by saying the child was doing well and thanked them for their help. The following day the swing was inspected and found to be working properly. It was photographed and reinstalled on the swing set.

At approximately 5:30PM, the father of the child came to the Front Desk and spoke with Sue Valliere, our Guest Relations Manager. She was told of the incident and completed an accident report. She inquired if there was anything additional she could provide. The guest asked for children’s Tylenol. Ms. Valliere sent a staff member to the next town to purchase the medication at a drug store. The Tylenol was then delivered to their guest room.

The following morning, the mother of the child spoke with Shelby Stetson, our Assistant Guest Relations Manager. She asked what she should do if the child needed medical attention. Ms. Stetson told her to attend to the child’s needs and to keep us informed if any additional treatment was needed. The guest departed the resort on the 15th.

Given the guest’s apparent feelings reflected in their review, I wish they had brought it to our attention during their stay. I am sure we would have alleviated their concern.

Medfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We visit the MVG every August on our anniversary. We were married at the MVG in 2009 and all total this is our 8th visit. No doubt we will be back again!!

Reservation Staff
This didn’t go as well as in the past. The lack of a concierge was also a challenge when trying to coordinate wine cellar dining. Despite these challenges, overall experience was EXCEPTIONAL.

Front Desk Staff
Check-in was great. They were awesome. My son was teething (1 year old) and they had advil for him. Amazing.

Bell Staff
We had Curt at check-in. He was the first person to ever offer to valet our car MVG. Great guy and awesome service. Checkout we had an absolutely amazing experience too. He was a younger kid that was bell hopping on 8/9/13. He had short dirty blonde hair. Great service. Great energy. Awesome employee!

Rooms Accommodations
The move from our favorite room was a tough switch but we loved the heritage suite - waterfall suite. The view wasn't as great as we are used to with our normal room but the suite was awesome size and the condition was great. We absolutely loved the size and it worked well for us.

Wine Cellar
This is where I will gush with praise. The food, the location and the service were all truly amazing. Despite the challenges with getting our prix fix menu, Keith and the Chef made our night absolutely amazing. I've raved about Keith in the past and yet again I will sing his praises. He is the type of person that will be successful in any role that you put him into and at any company/profession. Keith would be a loss if he wasn't interacting with customers but I'm sure MVG has big plans for him. The food was great, Keith's wine pairings were perfect and the experience was truly exceptional. I don't want to be too corny with my comments but I feel there is a need to describe how important Keith is to this experience and how great he is at what he does. Maybe something like the Wine Cellar without Keith is like a bunch of Rocks in Franconia Notch without the Old Man. Keith makes the experience go from good/great to exceptional/memorable. Okay, that's probably enough....but I can say more if you'd like.

Tavern/Bar
This was probably the only other area (see reservations comment) where I thought there could be improvements. I asked about the omelets and why it was removed from the buffet and he didn't have a great answer. See prior write-ups about how taking away the omelet station was a disappointment but you could still order with the buffet. This year they took away the omelet option with the buffet entirely.
The other disappointment, see prior raves, was the removal of the Kid's buffet at dinner. This was great and for under 5 year olds it was free. This isn't a huge expense saving but when you have two kids under 5 that eat like birds, it is great to not waste money buying something for 5-8 bucks each. The disappointment is magnified because it was such an amazing addition and was a previous RAVE. Easier to never give something to someone then to give them something they love and then take it away.

Country Club Dining
Service great. Food good. Scallops were awesome. Grilled Cheese wasn’t great. Overall though, the food was good, location amazing and service excellent.

Weddings
I will still give this 5 stars since it was an amazing wedding venue from 4 years ago.

Activities and Kids Club
OMG - we don't have kids that are age-ready for the Kids Camp yet....BUT we were still completely wowed by Ms. Baker and her staff. See my prior comments about Keith and how great he is and how he makes MVG great. Ms. Baker is side-by-side with Keith. I'm sure that Chris sees them as great employees that have great potential. As a customer, I see them as what makes MVG special and what causes people to absolutely RAVE about the MVG. Ms. Baker coordinated a carnival day while we were there. This was FREE. It included face painting, jumpy house, water slides, cotton candy and many other items. This was great. Ms Baker has the most amazing energy level you will ever encounter and she LOVES her job. Ms. Baker epitomizes job satisfaction. Her energy and service is second to none -- well maybe to Keith. We will call it a tie. I believe Ms. Baker, Keith, Ms. Diego and Rachel are the longest tenured employees of MVG. I commend Chris for his ability to retain the absolute stars of MVG and build talent and complementary team members around his core stars.

Farm
Ms. Diego and staff are great. Sad to see the horses gone but I understand and very happy they found nice homes.

Wrap Up
I want to thank Chris and team for their generous welcome gift and also the chocolate covered strawberries on our anniversary. It feels so nice to be welcomed and to feel like we are home again -- even if it is just for a few days each year. This place is home to one of our most special memories and each year you make even more great memories ---- and memories for our children. Sammie (3 year old daughter) sees the big yellow hotel and says "WE got married there."

If you want more information or for me to elaborate on anything just give me a shout. We loved our stay and look forward to returning next year with baby #3 to celebrate anniversary #5.

Pre-trip Review - Posted prior to trip and re-posted with updated trip review.

The annual trip is booked and we are scheduled to arrive next week. This will be our 8th visit overall and our fourth anniversary visit. We were married in here in August of 2009, visited for our anniversary in 2010 with our newborn, 2011 again, 2012 with two year old and newborn and now 2013 with three year old, one year old and baby on board (December 2013 arrival). Next year will be a full-house, figuratively and literally.

Reservations are completed and we had to make a switch to a suite due to the space constraints of two toddlers. Very disappointing to leave our favorite rooms with incredible balconies and views and somewhat anxious to see what the Heritage Suite has in store for us. We know there is no balcony and hope the views are somewhat comparable but regardless, we have no other choice but to move to a suite.

Dinner reservations are booked for our anniversary and once again we are in the wine cellar. Due to our delays with finalizing our plans we were unable to get the nook in the cellar (see prior comments about popularity of this dinner venue) but we are still excited nonetheless. Also, looking forward to talking with the Fine Dining Director to plan our Prix Fix meal which has always been AMAZING. And of course, very excited to have our favorite person Keith as our great waiter for the evening (see prior reviews about how awesome he is).

All and all, very excited about the trip and look forward to seeing the hotel which we love and seeing the changes that Chris D and team have made. Somewhat anxious bout the move to the suite from our favorite rooms but I'm sure that will be fine. Hoping that someday we actually bump into Chris and can say hi but we have had the pleasure of meeting his wife many times. She does an amazing job running the farm.

More updates to come but wanted to send along a preview of our upcoming trip!!

Paul

Dear Paul B,

Thank you for another considerate review! We are all happy to hear that your 8th stay with us was enjoyable for all and that you will be back again in the future. Thank you for all your kind remarks about the resort and its staff. Your comments have been shared. We look forward to welcoming you for your 9th visit.

Lancaster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

It was by chance that our MathWorks company outing arranged to have us stay at the Mountain View Grand. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, the friendly helpful staff made the beautiful ammenities even more gracious. We loved having dinner in the wine cellar and took advantage of the amazing 360 panaramic view while in the luxurious spa's sok tub. Lounging by the pool and strolling the lovely gardens was very relaxing. The views are just breathaking and the whole atmosphere rejuvenating. So we came up on this place by chance and now we are planning on returning by choice. We've chosen to spend part of our honeymoon next June at the Mountain View Grand and are in great expectation of a delightful stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Karen K,

Thank you for your review. It's great that you enjoyed your time with us during your conference. We are honored you are choosing the spend part of your honeymoon with us next June. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Cape Cod
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We chose this spot at the last moment because of a Groupon discount; given the special rate, we felt we got a terrific deal. The view was lovely, the staff was attentive, the historic feel was great, and there was lots to enjoy.

We stayed in the "Vista Suite," the largest Groupon option available. We were told up front that this "suite" was really just a big room -- and while it was fine, it was a big tight for a family of four. On the up side, it was very quiet and clean, and while we had just an okay view, even an "okay" view is gorgeous if you look in the right direction.

The resort is, and feels like, a traditional family resort. The history is everywhere, which is very cool. There were LOTS of families with small children, most very well behaved; definitely not a "couples only" kind of feeling. The big verandah is lovely, and it becomes comfortably filled with older adults, younger adults, little kids... cocktail time is gorgeous and very pleasant.

Our kids really enjoyed the pools, which are very nice, and got a boot out of the movie theater and popcorn (we brought our own video, but you can pick one and sign up for the use of the theater). Hubby enjoyed trying out axe throwing, but most particularly enjoyed the quiet of the library which has a lovely view and lots of quiet getaway nooks.

I agree with most reviewers that the restaurants had their flaws. Twice were told we had a long wait, only to then be told 30 seconds later that there was plenty of room... undertrained but enthusiastic wait staff forgot to bring condiments... morning coffee and tea was fine but organized so poorly we kept whacking into people... but to be fair, the food was pretty good -- particularly the breakfast buffet -- and while prices at the Tavern were highish, the Verandah restaurant was pretty much average price.

1 Thank LisaJCapeCod
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear LisaJCapeCod,

Thank you for reviewing. Our Vista Studio room is our largest guest room and a step right before a suite. I apologize that there was confusion and this was not conveyed to you via Groupon. We will certainly make sure we and Groupon are clearer moving forward.

We are glad you and your family enjoyed your time with us and were able to partake in various activities. We hope to welcome you back to the resort at some point in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I will attempt to focus on a specific and point based review...

Overall (except the restaurant), the visit was great. The grounds, room, housekeeping, parking, lack of resort fee, and check-in experience were terrific. The classic elevator, nightly campfire, elegant hallways and décor were a nice touch.

Our first night dining experience was also great, though took a horrible turn for the opposite the night after. The second night was the only time I seriously contemplated walking out of the restaurant after ordering – though before receiving any food. Read below and be the judge for yourself. I understand everyone has an “off night” and am generally open to second chances – however, this was too far beyond the point.

The second night’s dining experience was so horrible, I need to make the overall review a 1 star and have decided our future visits will never include the Mountain View Grand – only Omni going forward. I suspect our close friends planning their trip to upper NH will take our advice and hopefully you will consider it as well.

Tuesday 5pm – We knew it was short notice, though stopped by hostess stand to check on availability for the night and was told limited for the night (understandable). We made a reservation for 3 at 6:30 as didn’t want to eat too late since we had our 2 year old son with us.

Tuesday 6:30pm – Arrived a few minutes early and was seated at a nice table. Had friendly waitress, timely services, great experience, etc. – so much that wanted to come back the next night.

Tuesday 8pm – Attempted to make reservations for next night, though told they don’t take them the day more – though to do so tomorrow.

Wednesday Afternoon – Called to make a reservation as we were off property for the day, and told have never accepted reservations for less a party of 5 (despite what occurred for us previously just the night before). We were told come anytime around 7pm would not be an issue.

Wednesday 6:45pm – Told the kitchen was behind and needed to catch-up before seating anyone else.

Wednesday 7:15pm - We are seated off to a corner with dirty floor and abandoned tray of dirty dished our whole meal (see pictures).

Wednesday 7:25pm – Waitress apologized and would be over soon.

Wednesday 7:45pm – Waitress stopped by and took order (at this point, we ensured had our drinks and meal requests all lined up).

Wednesday 7:55pm – Water filled, sodas brought, and bread brought over.

Wednesday 8:30pm – Appetizer (cold) arrived and son’s meal (however, was pretty much asleep at this point so didn’t eat much).

Wednesday 8:45pm – Adult meals arrived – burger (thankfully piping hot) and wife’s pasta dish.

Wednesday 9:15pm – Wife hunted down the hostess person for a copy of our check since waitress never stopped by to check-in on meal, drink refills, or if wanted dessert - let alone ready for bill.

Thursday 9am – Scheduled morning to check out and asked the question “How was your stay?” I answered – “Everything was okay up until last night’s dinner here at the hotel which was a disaster and our great experience fell apart”. Her reaction – none, just proceeded onto next question of her checklist – related to if we wanted a copy of the bill.

Since there wasn’t an interest by the hotel’s management at checkout, perhaps people here are interested.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank tjwillia007
Dear tjwillia007,

Thank you for your review.

In an effort to better understand your experience and amend your concern, I have attempted to contact you, but you have not replied. I am sorry your stay was diminished by your dining experience on the second night of your stay.

To learn from your comments, I have researched our computer system to find the sequence and timing of your meal. I have found a ticket for three guests with the menu items and table you described.

The timing you describe confuses me because the check was created and sent to the kitchen by your server at 8:37PM. According to your comments, you had already received your appetizer of chips and salsa by 8:30PM. I have spoken with the Director of Food & Beverage, David Roberts, who was on duty that evening and your server, Mellissa Gooden. Both were disappointed to learn of your feelings and wish you had expressed your concern to them at the time. I am confident they would have been responsive to your needs.

I am still hopeful to speak with you. Regardless of the details, I am sorry you feel the way you do and have remunerated you for your meal.

Cranston, Rhode Island, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

(8/11/13-8/14/13)
Stayed here as a family of four (kids 8 & 5) while visiting Santa's Village in nearby Jefferson, NH (3-day stay). We enjoyed the pools and meeting the farmer and s'mores around the campfire. The views from the Veranda deck were amazing (enjoy complimentary coffee at sunrise and have a cocktail at sunset while enjoying the views). I would have liked the family to do more like the mountaineering club or hiking around the farm but we didn’t get a chance.

Disappointments with the hotel:
*The dirty windows in our (spoiled the views).
*No room in the movie theater or game room (Nice idea but these areas need to be scaled up to service this large hotel).
*No wifi connection in my room (260), staff blamed it on the weather or something other than the connection. The wifi worked on the first floor (one level down).
*No elevator
*Long wait for dinner service even though they had lots of empty tables?
*Window AC units

Tips:
*Put reservations in early for dinner or a movie.
*If you like a big breakfast get the buffet it’s worth it.
*If you want a cheaper dinner go to Littleton (20 minute drive). The family and I enjoyed the Chang Thai Café they had great Pad Thai and the kids loved the Thai styled chicken fingers. Also, check out Chutter’s candy store home of the worlds longest candy counter.

Overall, this is a great hotel for the family but I may try another in future (since this was my first stay in the area).

Room Tip: South side rooms have an excellent view. If you want a good wifi connection get a room close to the...
Dear GIDA816,

Thank you for your review. At the Mountain View Grand we are committed to enhancing our performance. We appreciate the feedback of all of guests and your comments have been shared with our staff. We are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay. We are sorry to hear that you are unsure of your return. We hope to welcome you back to the resort in the future.

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
The Lodge at Bretton Woods
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,244 reviews

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!