“Good but not as good as before”

Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just had a nice weekend away at this spot, our second visit in less than a year.

Positives:

- Staff was always friendly and prompt, not one didn't say hello when you encountered them.

- Had the Bruins playoff game on in the theater so people could watch it on a large screen in leather reclining seats. An employee came in and brought people complimentary popcorn. This is the type of thing that sets this place apart from others and is part of what you pay for, great service and thinking ahead to what their guests will want before they ask.

- Food: Good quality for the price and good service also. Was disappointed that fine dining was not open for the season yet, but I can't fault them for it.

Negatives:

Some of these will seem like nit picky, but I have high expectations for this sort of place based on my last trip here and what I feel is their target of giving people that vintage luxury hotel experience that sells this place as worth the price over your basic cheaper hotel.

- Maid service: A straw in a clear plastic sleeve was on the floor next to the bed when we arrived, despite the room being cleaned twice and at least 1 turn down service, it was still there when we left. I could have picked it up no problem, but I left it there to test how thorough the service would be. Additionally on last day the maid came by well before checkout and didn't knock before opening the door. She was surprised, as I was, that I was in the room and apologized before quickly closing the door. Fortunately I was just lying down waiting for my wife to finish showering, so nothing super embarrassing happened, but next time I will be sure to use the chain on the door.

- Drinks: In general alcohol is to expensive here; beer is not terrible with a 16oz drought at under $7, but many mixed drinks are $10+ Looking at the bar they do have some top shelf choices, but there are normal ones too. Having to spend $40+ (with tip) for two 16oz beers and 2 margaritas is a bit excessive.

- Functions: Ok first I will say I understand events need to occur at the hotel and sometimes they will inconvenience the other guests. This trip it felt a bit to inconvenient and detracted a lot from that "each guest is special" feel the hotel seems to be aiming for. Maybe the hotel was under staved or maybe it just didn't take things into consideration. On day one we had to wait 5min + after arriving to get someone to operate the elevator because a wedding was going on. On day two and three the library and activities rooms where pretty much locked down to support the SNHU activities scheduled into those rooms. Part of the hotels charm is the historic feel of the lobby and side rooms and the SNHU occupied these spaces pretty much the whole time.

- Rooms in general: I don't think the hotel should be up-charging for rooms that face the mountains when they are the only options open, especially when the view is only through 2 normal windows, one of which is partially occupied by an AC unit. This is pretty minor I know, but the view was not worth any price difference as the majority of guests will opt to sit on the porch to get a much better view anyhow. The beds are really comfortable and a big plus for all the rooms, the only thing I would suggest is putting in a step stool for guests as both myself, my wife, and the two people we arrived with felt getting into the beds was a challenge due to their height off the floor. Finally the TV situation is a bit poor for a luxury hotel. Each room still has a tube tv contained in a cabinet and the picture quality is not very good in general. You won't spend much time watching TV in your room mind you, but given the standards of the hotel it seems really out of place.

Summary

We did enjoy ourselves, but this was not AS enjoyable as our first visit. We didn't pay full price for rooms due to a special at the time, though at the normal price combined with the negatives we did have this trip, we might try another hotel next time to see how it compares. If you haven't tried this place though, it might be worth it for some and either way it should not be terrible and may be great.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adam S
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Adam S,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are glad you enjoyed your visit with us and appreciate your insight. We are continuously upgrading our amenities and are in the process of replacing all of our televisions to larger flat screens.

Business such as Southern New Hampshire University is an important part of our success. We would not be able to continue operating without groups, much like all other resorts. The group attendees did use our meeting facilities, but I feel our public space was adequately available for all guests to enjoy. I am sorry you felt their presence detracted from you experience.

We appreciate and value your feedback as it helps us improve our performance.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

The views of the White Mountains from this property are spectacular. Landscaping around the property was impressive. Other high points include a well equipped fitness center, and a fun nine hole golf course. The rooms are relatively large and comfortable. We were very disappointed with our one and only dining experience. After being seated for dinner in the dining room for 10 minutes, we did not get a server, so we went in to town to eat. The dining room was clearly understaffed, as one large party which had been in there longer than us was still waiting for their order to be taken. Additionally, the dining room was warm, and the seats of most of the chairs were shredded or ripped. Not what one would expect from a dining experience that receives high marks in the property's marketing materials. The views are beautiful, but we will not be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear HeloShark,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

Please accept my sincere apology for your experience. Your server should have greeted you within ten minutes of being shown to your table by the hostess. I do wish that you had bought this to our attention at that time or during your stay. I am confident we would have provided you the dining experience you expected.

A few of the chairs in the Traven restaurant have served us well. As the final element of our restaurant and pubic space renovations, new Tavern chairs are shipping next week.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I planned a roadtrip there last weekend. Upon Check-In we used a groupon for a one night stay, and planned to explore the area on Sunday. At the front desk they told us they required a debit card to be on hold, but when he tried using his card, they told us "sometimes it won't take certain cards on some days, but it would the next." ... Whatever that means. I agreed to use my card, after she explained that we could switch to his the next day and put the hold on his. I assumed they just wanted someone's card on file. They also told us that the hold would be no more than $50 because it was just a one night stay. Needless to say I was broke the next morning and only found out when my card was declined for a $14 t-shirt at the gift shop. Turns out, the hold was applied to my card and not for $50 but for $530! I am mother in my 20's making less than $30,000 a year and that happened to have been the remaining balance in my account which I was told I wouldn't be able to access for 7-10 days. Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

The front desk manager took my number and said she would try to have it taken care of sooner, but living 4 hours away and being COMPLETELY BROKE, even that was disappointing. Kind of sad when you have to run through e-z passes on your way home and barely make it on gas.

Otherwise the view was beautiful, the room was clean. The pool and hot tub were nice. The stairs were a bit much, could use more elevators. There were a lot of activities provided that we unfortunately didn't get to do. It seems like a nice place for wealthy families. I would stay there again despite the debit card issue- Maybe when my week's paycheck is more than one room's value. ;-)

• Stayed: June 2013
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear CarleyC401,

Thank you for your review.

Please accept our sincere apologies for inconvenience this matter has caused. The reason for the excessive hold on your debit card was due to a misstep on our part. Mrs. Sue Valliere, our Guest Relations Manager, has taken immediate action and implemented additional training to ensure this type of situation does not reoccur.

We have attempted to contact you to amend this inconvenience. We hope to speak with you soon to find a positive outcome to your experience.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We just booked our return trip for this coming September after our initial Sept 2012 visit. We had a 1 and 3 year old at the time and Mrs. Baker was the best at keeping us informed of great activities. The farm staff was also amazing (Mrs. Diego, I believe) as my children collected eggs and interacted with the animals each day. The views were stunning, we were there just as the leaves started turning. We had a great time having tea and snacks on the porch, exploring Littleton, and feeling very welcome. The staff went out of their way to ensure that we were having a good time (my daughter's first time seeing Cinderella was a private showing in the movie room - so magical for her!), and the spa is lovely. We loved it so much we are bringing friends with us this year!

• Stayed: September 2012
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear AlyssaK611,

Thank you for reviewing! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in September and that you are looking to return this year. Your remarks are appreciated and have been shared. We look forward to welcoming you soon!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was our first stay at MVG and we had a wonderful time. We were there in early June for two nights with two older teenagers. The staff is very accomodating. Don't miss the axe throwing competition! There is plenty to do even if it rains. The movie theater has a wide selection of movies, and the staff even provides popcorn. Check out the farm and animals as well. The room was spacious and clean, the sauna and pool and work out room very inviting. The tavern restaurant had a nice choice of food. We would definitely return for a visit in the future. I have never commented on trip advisor before, and travel quite a bit, but was so pleased with this visit that I could not resist.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear BlainedLancaster,

Thank you for your review! We are honored to be your first Trip Advisor review. Your kind remarks have been shared and it's great that you are looking to return. We would be more than happy to welcome you again!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

My two adult daughters and myself spend one night (wish we had a second) at the MVG. It was everything we hoped for and more.
The staff was friendly and welcoming, from the bell boy to the activity directors. The room was clean and inviting. We were thrilled there were no hidden charges for, barnyard tour, ax throwing, historic tour (which is a must) and coffee to name a few.

Both my daughters have made a reservation to return with their families. Lucky me, I'm less than an hour away and can return for an overnight or another great meal in the Tavern.

Dear PemiNH,

We appreciate your review and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your review and we will be happy to welcome you back!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at MVG in August with my sisters and thoroughly enjoyed my stay so this time I brought my husband there. We spent 2 nights and I am still talking about how relaxing it was and showing friends pictures of the great views from the veranda. Our room was clean, the staff was very pleasant, and we enjoyed our dining experiences at The Tavern. The Country Club was not open at the time of our visit. We were able to see the animals on the farm and participate in the Axe Throwing. The instructor for the axe throwing was fantastic! We also ventured out of the resort to Littleton and some other nearby towns. This resort is a great place to visit. I will definitely be going back there!

Dear Leslie C,

Thank you for reviewing. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and are looking to return. We look forward to welcoming you for your third visit.

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
Hampton Inn Littleton
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#2 of 8 in Bethlehem
RiverWalk Resort at Loon Mountain

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!