“Depends on your Expectations”

Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
Philadelphia
“Depends on your Expectations”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at the Mountain View Grand for four nights in October with our 3 and 4-year-old boys. We had spent the three nights prior at a Marriott so I knew there would be some adjusting. The beds were smaller (fulls rather than queens), the amenities older (dated TV with nearly-broken remote, and the room considerably smaller.
We were on the second floor on the front side of the inn, which meant great views of the property and the mountains. Unfortunately, there were three dead flies on the window I was looking through and the window itself was pretty dirty.
Overall I would give the room a B-. Bathroom, which was spacious, gets a B-plus. Too bad the fan was deafening.
We enjoyed the property and our boys loved the farm and looked forward to visiting with the goats, llamas and horses each morning. On two mornings, they visited the chicken coop and retrieved the eggs (which are taken to the inn's kitchen). They went on a short $10 horse ride and purchased a few rusty horseshoes ($5 each). They also enjoyed the cider-making exhibition and had fun working the press.
We took advantage of the campfires and smores each night. The staff lays out everything for you and are all very nice. All appeared to be in their late teens to mid 20s. It was a little uncomfortable when one of the staffers, a reservist I believe, started talking to a guest about various automatic weapons and the record distance for a sniper kill shot. Then he told a joke about the military rescuing Obama and how the soldier's dad would kill him.
It made for an awkward vibe with the kids sitting around the campfire.
I went around the 9-hole course a couple times. The conditions were pretty good and there were a few nice holes. Course was a little short but with the views who cares? I think I paid $25 for unlimited play and a cart, which was a great bargain.
Because we spent so much time at the farm we almost missed out completely on the battle ax tossing. Thankfully I got to try this on our getaway day. You take the ax back with two hands straight over the head and let it fly. I went directly over the target on my first few throws and then hit the target on my next three and went 50% from there. It was a good time.
We can't speak to the food at the Inn because we did not eat in the restaurants. We did try the Italian Oasis Restaurant & Brewery in Littleton (about 15 minute drive) and Grandma's Kitchen, a little diner on Lancaster Road in Whitefield. Oasis was a good meal with a nice staff. The main drag in Littleton is quaint and offers pizza, movie, seafood and a few other options.
We could have arranged babysitting through the hotel - and tried to one night but we were too late - but we decided to call it a night with our kids.
Fitness center and pool (and whirlpool tub) are great. Very relaxing. Game room is so-so but who would even expect one in a country inn? I must say the air hockey table was top notch. Movie theater was also great. We told the front desk we wanted to watch Cars at 3 p.m. and they set it up and gave popcorn to the boys.
There is also complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate available at the bar each morning, which was a nice touch. It was great to fill up the travel mug and walk the grounds or head to the barn.
We spent one day driving through the mountains, starting down the Daniel Webster Highway, then to the Kancamagus out to Conway before looping back toward Whitfield. Lots of gulches and various vistas to take in. Unfortunately the Canon Mountain tram was closed when we stopped there.
All in all, it was a very good trip. I'm not sure whether it would have been better or worse without the kids. Seeing them light up every morning on the way to see the animals was probably the highlight of the trip. Wish we could have done the horse-drawn carriage ride as a family.
The staff was great and did their best, which we appreciated. Down at the farm, Mrs. Diego was a dynamo and kept our kids entertained every day.
If you expect Vegas-like housekeeping and a spotless room, you might be disappointed.
Our rate, through Travelzoo, was $109 per night and included a bottle of wine, cheese plate (which we did not locate for 36 hours) and a resort credit for $30.
If there were a 3.5 star option, that's what I would have chosen for this review. A cleaner room would have made it a 4.

Room Tip: Any room on the front side of the hotel will offer spectacular views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WorldwalkerCA, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear TimmySwaggart,
Thank you for the information you have provided during your recent stay at the Resort. It is nice to know that your family found the abundance our of Farm activities enjoying as it certainly is a highlighted feature of the property. We have addressed the awkward situation created during your campfire experience and I can assure you that this is not a circumstance that will be repeated. Should you choose to return to the property for a future visit, which I hope you do, you will find a number of accommodations receiving upgrades as our renovation project has begun to the enjoyment of our guests. Thank you again for the details you have graciously provided us with.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
Fremont, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 12, 2012

After a very taxing few weeks of not seeing much of my wife I took her on a weekend trip to Whitefield. What an amazing place! The weekend was rainy so we didn't get the full view this trip but from previous experience I can tell you, they are breath taking. The decor is what I expect from a Grand Hotel with nice (though repetitive) paintings and beautiful craftsmanship. Our room overlooked the golf course and the north side of the Presidential range of the White Mountains. We relaxed in the very nice lobby and enjoyed wine in the tavern. Then we enjoyed a delicious dinner in the tavern dining area (not fine dining so you don't need reservations). Breakfast (part of the $250 package) was a buffet with made to order omelets or waffles. I can't say breakfast was spectacular but certainly sufficient. The service was excellent!

I am a carpenter so I am not accustomed to the super lavish life. My expectations were not only met but well exceeded. I look forward to taking my wife to the Mountain View Grand Resort and Spa again.

Room Tip: A room facing south will offer spectacular views of our beautiful White Mountains.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeffrey1072
Dear Jeffrey1072,
We are glad you and your wife were able to enjoy a relaxing weekend away! Thank you for your review and sharing your experience with us. It was our pleasure to exceed your expectations! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mountain View Grand soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Resort and grounds were beautiful. Food was excellent. Spa was clean and relaxing. However there was no spa "smell" which I always look forward to. The linens on the massage tables smelled like old oils they couldn't get out. I asked for a deep tissue massage but don't feel that's what I got. Too bad!
There are plenty of activities for adults and kids which is a good thing because other than hiking there isn't anything to do in the area. North Conway is an hour away and we spent one of the days there. We stayed here because we got a good deal from Groupon. I don't think I would stay here for full price. I would probably stay in North Conway. Overall we had a nice time and I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear TerraceSnob,
Thank you for taking the time to review. We appreciate your feedback about the Spa and have shared your comments with our Spa Manager. Several steps are being taken in order to ensure your inconvenience with our linens is not repeated. We are happy to know you enjoyed the time you spent with us and we hope to welcome you back to the Resort at some point in the future!

Belmont, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed there in August with my boyfriend for a wedding. The hotel was gorgeous but I would think twice about the spa. The nail polish was right down to the bottom and gummy and the nail files were used! How many people had they used that on? I was hoping to buy skin care products and make-up (hard to find brands), but they had almost nothing on the shelf. You can't cut corners or compromise sanitary conditions and expect to keep customers. Have to say I found the staff who waited on us to be professional and very pleasant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MShep1
Dear MShep1,
Thank you for the details you have provided regarding our August stay at the Resort. I have reviewed the sanitation procedures at our Spa and can assure you that all steps are taken to provide sanitary and clean products for our guests to enjoy. I do apologize for the quantity of our skin care products being low, they were appreciated by our guests in excess of our expectations this summer and we have certainly rectified the situation. I do hope that you will be returning to the Resort in the future to enjoy the improvements we have made.

Beaconsfield, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful wedding for our daughter and her husband. We had only about six weeks to plan, and with the help of Susannah Powel, the resort's catering manager/planner, everything went off without a hitch. We are very thankful for her imput and help. It truly was magical,with gorgeous views of the White Mountians, from the horse and carriage we arranged to pick up the Bride and Groom at the entrance of the resort following the ceremony in Lancaster, to the beautifully prepared Presidential Ballroom for cocktail hour and reception. All our guests had a wonderful time. Most importantly our daughter and son-in-law will have beautiful memories of their special day to look back on.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mountains916
Dear Mountain 916,
Congratulations to your daughter and new son-in-law! Thank you for your considerate review! Your glowing remarks about Susannah are appreciated and have been shared. It was our pleasure to spend such a special day with you and your family. We hope to welcome you all back to the Resort at some point in the future!
Masachusetts
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was a beautiful resort. My wife and I spent a weekend at this resort at the end of October. Although the foliage was past peak, there was still enough to make for breathtaking views. The location of this resort is perfect. The only issue we had was with the person that checked us in. She did not seem to be as personable as I would expect of the first point of contact.

All in all a beautiful place. I would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sconepup,
Thank you for your constructive feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. It is great to learn that you and your wife enjoyed your time with us. We hope to welcome you back to the Resort in the future!

Lynnfield, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We just stayed there this weekend and I can't say enough good things. The food was fabulous, service above and beyond, property inside and out spectacular, spa facilities top-notch(had 2 services). Went hiking and visited there on-site farm. Can't wait to return there!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donna S
Dear Donna S,
Thank you for your review! We were happy to make your stay with us enjoyable and we anticipate welcoming you back to the Resort soon!

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
The Lodge at Bretton Woods
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,353 reviews
Omni Bretton Arms Inn at Mount Washington Resort

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!