2,236 results
All reviewswine cellaraxe throwingmovie theaterfront porchthe barntavern restaurantgolf coursewhite mountainsmovie roomair hockeyfine dininggrand resortindoor poolice skatingdog sleddingping ponggame rooms
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband has been here on business several times and fell in love with it, so when we saw a Groupon deal, we bought it right away. It was for 2 nights, so we went on January 1-3 with our daughter. We got an historic room with a king bed and a pull-out sofa bed - big room, giant walk-in closet, nice view (if you looked past the top of the building to see the mountains in the background).

We got there 90 minutes before check-in and asked if the room was ready. It wasn't, but they offered to call when it was. We had lunch in the tavern. Turkey club was average, corn & black bean chili (the "special" soup that day) was average. Our daughter's burger was excellent. Beer (Pemi Pale Ale from Woodstock Brewery) was very good.

Front desk called and said our room was ready after only about 20 minutes. We were helped with our bags up the ancient elevator (only operated by hotel staff). I took the stairs the rest of the trip. Even my husband chose to, with a knee that needs surgery. (How do seniors with mobility issues visit? Request a bottom floor maybe?) Our room was really nice, big and spacious. Plenty of room for the three of us. I love firm mattresses, so I was in heaven (and I was out like a light for our nap that day - although the main white pillows were REALLY hard. I had to use the sham pillows, which were a little softer)

The weather was really warm, so my daughter couldn't ice skate (we were told by one employee that the rink was closed, and another said it was NOT closed. Both were making s'mores at the time) The ice wasn't frozen enough for the blades of the skates. We said we'd try again tomorrow. (When we went back, the rink was frozen but the holes throughout weren't fixed from the night before)

My husband loved the theater, especially that they were showing The Shining. My daughter and I went to the pool and hot tub. Mixed reviews - great pool, great hot tub. But the rules up on the wall said no one under 18 should be in the hot tub, but a woman had her 2 or 3 year old in there with a swim diaper on. When 2 employees came to restock towels I asked if those rules were still in effect and one said "They're supposed to be, but ... " and shrugged. I said that it wasn't my concern about the kid's skin being burned (should be her mother's though!) but it WAS my concern about the hygiene factor - swim diapers in a hot tub and the employee didn't say anything? Ick. He said it couldn't really be enforced, but I disagree. He could have told her right then that kids weren't allowed in. That would have been enforcing it, no?

Dinner that night was in the tavern. While waiting for my husband I went to get a drink. One bartender didn't even glance at me while chatting with a couple at the bar. Another was working his butt off and finally took my order when I called to him and waved my room key. (He was rushing around back and forth, behind the bar and into the kitchen, but there was only 2 other couples at the bar ... turned out he ended up being our waiter 15 minutes or so later) For dinner the food was excellent - I got the special, which was Quattro Formaggio ravioli with crabmeat and red peppers (the waiter didn't know what it meant .. he said "There must be four of something in there" which I laughed about.) My husband ordered the stuffed chicken (with brie, apples and chives, etc), which was great. Best thing ordered the whole time there.

Next day I got a massage at the spa. Again, mixed reviews. Pressure in the shower was non-existant. The massage itself started with me on my back (which I LOVED because I like my back being rubbed and wanted to end with that) and she did a great job on my legs and arms, but she hurt me when getting my back. Whenever I went to say something, she'd ease up. Then crush me again, leaning on my with her forearms to the point where I couldn't breathe. Also, I think she was a smoker - when I was on my back and she was above my head working on my shoulders and head, she kept breathing on me and I was really uncomfortable - I used to be a smoker, but didn't know how to say something to her.

Also made a return trip to the pool .. and was welcomed by a dirty diaper on the stairs.

We loved the library with the games, and the game room was a hit with my husband and daughter.

Breakfast in the main dining room was a disaster. Our waiter told us about the buffet and how it included omelets, which swayed us, so we both got that. 40 minutes later, we never got our omelets and hadn't seen our waiter in at least 20 minutes. When another waiter got him for us, he came and dropped the check folder on our table. We mentioned the omelets and he said he'd go get them made. We declined (I gestured to the eggs I got from the buffet) and he said he'd wrap them to go (no microwaves in our rooms, what would we have done with them?) We said no thank you, but I did say that we ordered the buffet because he said omelets were included, or else I would have just ordered an omelet and his response "You know what?" and he grabbed the check folder and banged it on the table and said "I got it." and stormed off, despite my husband and I both saying "No no no!" We both looked at each other (NOT what we were thinking would happen, we thought maybe he'd knock $5 off to make up for no omelets). He never came back either, and we waited another 5 minutes while finishing our coffee.

Dinner that night was room service. Didn't know there was a $10 charge at the time. Not a huge deal, but would have been nice had we known .. it might have said on the menu, but we didn't see it. Burgers were good, but they were really dark (almost black) on the outside and a little too pink on the inside. Still yummy. We also shared an order of the Maple Buffalo chicken which was excellent. A bit spicy, a little sweet. I'd love to know what they do because we grill a lot in the summer and I'd love to try that on other meats. Ordered dessert (maple cheesecake, which is hard to ruin, and English Toffee bread pudding, which was NOT good. Really dry and tasteless.)

First day was warm, next two were frigid, but no snow - so no snowmobiling, no sleigh rides, no sledding. We were really disappointed but we're from here, so we're used to the New England weather.

SERVICE: Front desk staff excellent and informative. Bell services extremely helpful. First waitress we had for lunch before check-in was good. Room service was fast.

VALUE: For us with the Groupon, it was very good. If we paid full price and paid for all the activities we had planned on, I think I'd put it at average.

ROOM: We heard our neighbor's water turn on in their shower, their toilet flush. There were kids running amok up and down the hallway (to the point where I was up and had my hand at the door to scream at them to cut it out, had they not stopped just then) The hallway floors are old and crickety. Add 2-8 feet banging down them and it's a headache. We also had a weird tapping on the glass of our window twice (and we were on the second floor!)

We'll go back in the summer maybe. Winter isn't my season.

Room Tip: Room 231 has a king bed and a pull-out sofa bed, a nice walk-in closet. However, it's right next to the stairs, so it's noisy. Around dinnertime, you hear everyone coming and going!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mchelle77
MVGManager, Guest Relations at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to express the details of your recent stay. As we are concerned about your experience, I have left a telephone message for you, but without reply. We have met with the various departments you mentioned and reviewed all of your comments. We are actively making changes to the key points you highlighted. I do hope you will contact me at 603-837-0037, so we may further address your comments. We look forward to seeing you and your family again in warmer weather.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Once again MVG didn't disappoint us, we have become regulars in such a short time we feel very much at home here. From the Rocking Christmas Gala the day after Thanksgiving where you go to bed and wake up and the hotel takes on a special glow of Christmas. The Christmas Gala was wonderful my girls ages 12 and 13 had a ball. With a special visit from Santa, his Elfs, Frosty the Snowman and a very special rocking Christmas tree. We sang and danced it was a nice way to start the Christmas season off. A few inches of snow had fallen and we were able to go tubing. We had so much that weekend that we returned this past weekend to celebrate the New Year! My husband and I danced the night away at the New Years Eve Gala, while our girls were attending their own gala in the Presidental ballroom. They had a buffet, watched movies. played games, danced and then at midnight we joined them and the other hotel guests to watch a spectacular display of fireworks. It was a New Years to remember. Mrs. Baker the activities director and her staff truly do an outstanding job at the hotel. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. Can't wait to return again to the MVG.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
MVGManager, Guest Relations at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

It is always our pleasure to open our doors and welcome back regular Mountain View Grand guests. Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. As a resort, initiating the holiday spirit for our guests is something we look forward to each and every year. Thank you for sharing part of your holiday with us; we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Perched on a hilltop with a spectacular view of the mountain range. Close enough to good skiing but not so close that you feel you're in a ski-town. Very elegant, grand old hotel that has been beautifully restored. We went on a romantic long weekend, but will return with kids and grandkids.

Room Tip: Overlooking the mountains
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you reviewing the resort on Trip Advisor. Thank you for recognizing the resort for its historic, New England charm. We will look forward to welcoming you back for another stay.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Booked hotel based on TA reviews and website. Sadly the hotel needs a major renovation. Our room was noisy beyond reason. Dirty worn carpet and old cheap furniture made for a pittiful room. Restaurant (tavern) was decent. Service in general was amateurish at best and lacking. Rate for room ($500) is probably double what it's worth. Would not return.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank spinesrgn

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you expressing your comments about the resort on Trip Advisor. I have attempted to contact you to discuss your experience, but have not received a reply. We are truly sorry that we did not provide you with the stay experience you were anticipating. We have made, over the past 10 years, over $28 million dollars of improvements to the property and have an aggressive plan for future enhancements. We hope you will consider returning for a stay with us in the future.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Our family spent 5 days over New Years at MVG. We especially enjoyed the indoor pool, the movie theater, and the breakfast buffet in the morning. We found most of the staff friendly and accommodating. Jessica was particularly nice when checking in, even though she was busy. Both Tom and Troy spent extra time talking with our son and us about the area.

Our room had a good view (although the windows were too frosted to see much most of the time). The beds were firm (perhaps too firm for some). The housekeeping was inconsistent (nonexistent one day). The turndown service was lack-luster. Perhaps the cleaning staff was overworked due to the high occupancy.

In the mornings they offered complimentary coffee, cocoa, and cookies until 11 AM. Their coffee is excellent. The workout facility was clean, had great equipment, and wonderful views.

There was no snow the weekend we were there. The hotel did not add additional activities to compensate. It would have been nice to have extended campfire hours and bigger campfires with natural wood (vs. pre-treated lumber and waste wood).

The theme night was fun for the family. The buffet dinner was nothing special, but we appreciated having a dining option that was kid friendly.

The candy canes at the front desk were a nice touch for the kids. The kids especially enjoyed the game room and the movie theater.

Overall, we would recommend the hotel, assuming the service level improves at lower occupancy rates.

Room Tip: Facing the mountain (some rooms look at the parking lot). There is one ancient elevator so most people use the stairs. Higher rooms offer better views, but require more stair climbing.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
MVGManager, Guest Relations at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your family’s New Year’s Eve stay. We appreciate the specific acknowledgement of several of our staff members. Our activities department added additional staff for all the indoor and outdoor activities scheduled over the holiday vacation week. We are pleased that you were able to visit and enjoy the resort together. We look forward to your return visit in the future.