2,234 results
All reviewswine cellaraxe throwingmovie theaterfront porchthe barntavern restaurantgolf coursewhite mountainsmovie roomair hockeyfine dininggrand resortindoor poolice skatingdog sleddingping ponggame rooms
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We just returned from a three-day New Year's family vacation, and we had a spectacular time. It's not easy accommodating all of us, 20 in all, ranging from three to 87. But the staff of Mountain View Grand did an amazing job. The themed dinner nights were particularly popular for the whole family. While the children danced and played games on the dance floor (supervised by the staff), the adults could enjoy the buffet on the sidelines. Maybe not for every family, but for ours, there's nothing better than watching your children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews have the time of their life. There was no snow, which certainly isn't MVG's fault, but there was still plenty to do. Bretton Woods is only 20 minutes away. We skated, swam in the indoor pool, watched a movie in the movie theater, took a ride in the horse-drawn carriage, and enjoyed the fireworks on New Year's Eve. We ate most meals within the resort, and were pleasantly surprised by both the quality of the food and the attentiveness of the staff. Overall, we left Mountain View Grand with nothing but pleasant, irreplaceable memories.

Room Tip: I'd imagine that rooms at the end of the hallway are quieter (but a longer walk). While it's been completely renovated, it's still got old bones that creak.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MikeOfBoston
MVGManager, Guest Relations at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

Happy New Year! We appreciate you writing such a complimentary review. Our hope is that the experiences shared by your family during their New Year's stay with us will leave lasting impressions. We wish you and your family will come back every year to build more family memories.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We had been to the Mountain View Grand in the summer before and had fond memories. It remains a beautiful property with great mountain views. Our experience was very different this time. There was little snow which limited the things to do (no cross country, snow mobiling, ice skating, etc.). Over Christmas we thought they might have extra additional indoor activities. No Santa Claus! The daily camp fire seemed like a nice activity until the attendant informed me "It is not a bonfire. It is a camp fire. That would be irreponsible to have a bonfire." He never offered us a S'more or any hospitality. We had no idea we needed reservations for the Christmas brunch. When we showed up we were chastised and told it was on the sign (it was not) and then on the brochure in our room (it was not) and then on the web site (it was not). They said they could seat us at 1:30. When we arrived, 1/2 of the tables were empty. Why the hassle?? I thought upon check in, it might be helpful to ask guests staying over Christmas if they planned to attend the brunch and that reservations were needed. They might even ask to make them for you! Other guests had this issue also. The strangest thing we encountered was room service. For two days the room was impeccable but on the next day, we returned to our room to find only one bed made and the bathroom barely cleaned but they did not hesitate to take the tip we left! The supervisor came right up and apologized but we thought this was very strange. Did they think we would not notice??? I am not quite sure why the change from what we remembered. The only thing I can say is I hope The Balsam's has reopened for next Christmas!

2  Thank paw1992
MVGManager, Guest Relations at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me about your stay. I have addressed, with our management team, the constructive comments you personally expressed to me during our discussion. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a future stay.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

My vacation to the Mountain View Grand Hotel and Resort was the best I've ever had. There was always an activity to take part in lead by charming staff or a quiet place to read my book surrounded by the beautiful, sprawling landscape. My favorite activity took place at the stables, a must-see for anyone who visits the resort. The Equestrian Director was enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and friendly, as were the horses under her care. I enjoyed a lovely ride through the mountains on a calm, dependable horse. Also enjoyable was meeting the informed farmer, who was all-too pleased to answer any questions about the happy animals. The food was delicious and savory, tended to by nice waiters who truly cared about making my experience pleasant. The room was above average and very comfortable.

Room Tip: First floor is best because you don't have to climb the stairs as high, unless you want to just use the elevator!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank horselover77

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and letting us know how pleased you were with your stay. Spectacular is always a word we love to hear from our guests. Your kind words have been shared with all of our staff, especially our Equestrian Director and farmer. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We've stayed here a few times and have recommended it countless times. It's close to Santa's Village making it ideal for families! The indoor pool makes makes a winter trip to SV even better as does the hot tub. The spa is fantastic, making it a great place for both couples or girls weekends. The views are incredible and it's CLEAN!!!! The customer service is some of the best I've ever had. We had a couple of very minor issues when we've stayed but they more than made up for it. Ideal for all ages

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind review of your recent stay. We appreciate knowing that you feel a stay with us can truly be enjoyed by either a couple, a family, or friends planning a getaway together. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay!

Reviewed December 28, 2011

We came to the MVG for our annual Christmas vacation and were disappointed by what we found. The grounds and the hotel are beautiful yes, but thats about the only good things I can say about this establishment. First of all don't come here if you want peace and quiet as there is always a rowdy group of kids being unattended by their parents, yelling and running around. They like to especially congregate in the dining areas making it difficult to even talk during meals. And while I'm on the topic of meals, I'm sure the food would be fair if it were brought to the table when it was still warm. But the staff seem to have no serving experience and the result was long waits and cold food. (Be leery of the undercooked breakfast potatoes). Luckily, the view from our room was of the beautiful mountains because the room itself was very small. My massage seemed a waste, as any benefit I gained from the relaxing experience was reversed by the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept on. I even overheard another guest with the same complaint at the front desk. I feel this hotel has great potential, but many essential details have been overlooked. Travelers beware.

4  Thank Julie C
MVGManager, Guest Relations at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about our resort. We are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your holiday stay. We have endeavored to contact you to gain more specific information regarding your stay experience; but have received no response from you. Our goal is to continually develop our service skills and staff training, so we may anticipate our guest’s needs appropriately. We have, and are continuing to, enhance our guestrooms. During your stay, the resort was busy with families on school vacation gathered together to celebrate the holiday season.