2,264 results
All reviews wine cellar axe throwing movie theater front porch the barn tavern restaurant golf course white mountains movie room air hockey fine dining grand resort indoor pool ice skating dog sledding ping pong game rooms
Reviewed November 6, 2011

The hotel and the surroundings including the view are breathtaking. The welcoming is very courteous. Parking is a little erratic and far from the entrance. The rooms are decent. However the room I got had really bad views, stuck between 2 walls and overlooking the roof and the parking lot, even though it was very low season and the hotel was almost empty. Will it kill them to give me a nice view since no one is there??? That's a philosophy I don't like! The rooms are noisy in a sense that there is a lot of small noises from the heating system, BR, plumbing..it was like Chinese torture all night. It does not help that the hotel is rumored to be haunted and that they shut the 3rd floor because of that! Otherwise the BR is clean and there was plenty of towels.. the toiletry seemed of an "ok" quality. Bedding is nice and confy.

The Breakfast room is nice and has nice views. 20$ for a coffee, oatmeal and a SMALL plate of fruits!!! That's expensive!
The hotel sits on golf course and there are barns and tennis courts around.. again gorgeous! The gym is very well equipped and there is a Sauna and outdoor and an indoor pool..

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
MVGManager, Guest Relations at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Since its reopening 10 years ago, the resort has undergone a total renovation without changing the architectural, historic feel of the resort. Please accept our apology for not upgraded your room during a low occupancy period at the resort. As we have started to again renovate our guest rooms, we will incorporate your suggestions. For resort guests, we do offer complimentary coffee, tea and hot cocoa in our Tavern bar area from 7-11 am each morning, with a la carte options as breakfast choices. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

While I still love the Mountainview Grand, the changes that have been made to the dining area since my last vist two seasons ago were confusing and a bit weird. Gone is the large formal dining room that you enter from the side door. All access is thru the Tavern and the Tavern has grown to include most of the original dining room which has now been divided up to give the casual Tavern more room. The first night we dined in the Tavern, the hostess advised there would be a 45 minute wait. We waited. Shortly after that, I inquired and was told we still needed to wait a bit which I found odd since I could see empty tables. After another 20 minutes, we were seated in the corner of the Tavern near a busy corridor with the bus people running in and out with dirty dishes. There were plenty of emply tables, so when the flustered waitress appeared, I asked if we could move. She took us to another table and told us she hated waiting on people at that table because of the noise - I can see why. What I can't see is why we were put there in the first place?
Anyway, the meal was largely forgettable unlike the last time when I had to most delicious lemon-cured chicken - it wasn't on the menu;. The food was okay - no major complaints.
The staff seemed a bit frazzled.
The following night, while we were chatting in front of the fireplace (adjacent to the hostess) enjoing a casual conversation, an elderly gentleman came out an proceeded to ru\ip into the hostess about something...he went on and on. What struck me is that no one came to the poor woman's rescue. Surely a manager was nearby? It created an embarassing and unsettling scene for everyone in the enormous main lobby.
We enjoyed a bonfire the first night outside near the club house and the service on the front porch was excellent. The view from that veranda is so beautiful and the autumn leaves made it spectacular. I did visit the spa once...it is still lovely though expensive.
Overall, the experience was very good. I disliked the dining changes and would encourage the hotel to smooth out the choppy seating arrangments and train the eager staff to deliver a notch more professional service.

Room Tip: There are so many different types of rooms, if you get one you don't like, ask to change. Some rooms are large and others very small.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MitziMom
MVGManager, Guest Relations at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I appreciate you also taking the time to speak with me on the telephone about your experience. As we discussed, I have brought your constructive comments to our Food & Beverage Director and his staff. We are glad to know you will visit us again in the future and hope it won’t be two more years before you return.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

We had very nice experiences with this hotel from the time I called to book the reservation (very nice and helpful staff) until checkout of the hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful and there were lots of things for the kids to do. The fitness center is impressive with a large variety of cardio and weight equipment. The kids loved the pool with the I spy mural. Everything was exceptionally clean and well taken care of.

Our dining experience was mixed. We dined at the tavern the whole weekend and some of the service was great and attentive and some was not so great. The breakfast buffet was nice and included all of the items from the regular menu, but our server did not tell us this on our first
morning. The food was very good for both lunch and dinner but the portions were surprisingly small for the cost. Most importantly to us, the staff was excellent with our food allergy. I can't say enough good things about this. The chef came out and talked to us each meal, they prepared our meal separately after sterilizing all of the equipment, and checked and double checked to make sure everything was safe. We felt very safe eating here, which is good because there are really not many other places around to eat!

The kids loved the movie theater and popcorn. They picked out their movie from a huge list, reserved a time, and watched the film in their own private theatre. Awesome.

We will definately come here again. The friendly staff, clean hotel, excellent amenities, and careful attention to our food allergy made this a great experience for our family.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Carmk77
MVGManager, Guest Relations at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay. We are happy you and your family were able to enjoy all your meals without concern. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the resort.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

We had our fall company outing at the Mountain View Grand this year. We had 57 people. It was the perfect location for the outing. The setting was stunning, the rooms were good, the staff very friendly. We arranged for group activities on the Saturday and had great fun doing the nature hike, capture the flag, and -- I'm not kidding here -- axe throwing. We had a nice buffet dinner in the club house for grown-ups, while the kids played games in the activity center. I would definitely recommend this hotel for large groups.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Mera99

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing about your recent company outing at the resort. After reading your review, we are pleased to know that your group enjoyed many of the resort’s activities, especially our much sought-after, axe-throwing event. We hope to host your company’s future outings.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

We recently stayed here to see the fall foliage! Absolutely beautiful! We enjoyed staying here and doing all the fun activities they had available for their guests! The kids enjoyed the Horse and buggy ride, and watching them shear goats in the barn. The staff was very nice and helpful. Just being in this historical hotel is a dream! I would come here again just to experience the atmosphere. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: There is only one elevator and if you dont want to walk down the stairs get a room closer to the elevator. If you can get a room in front of hotel the view is wonderful! But the view from the back is just as nice! If you are hot you can request an A/C unit.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Robin G

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review of the resort. We appreciate you taking the time to express your delight at the many fun-filled activities the resort offers. We look forward to having you and your family back again to enjoy more memorable experiences.