“Positive Experience”

Swanzey Lake Camping Area
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Swanzey
Swanzey Lake Camping Area
Boston, MA
“Positive Experience”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My friends and I had a great experience here. We rented a tent site. It has electricity hook ups, which were a bonus. Yes, you have to walk a little ways for the bathroom, but it is CAMPING. I'm amazed at the reviews complaining about bathroom facilities being far (took me all of two minutes to walk there). I mean, what do you expect on a campground? Perhaps these very people should stay at a hotel instead.

The owners were super friendly. They do take a spin around at night to check on things, but seems to be for safety reasons. It was really no bother. They were quite nice. We enjoyed our stay, the scenery was beautiful, and they have a little shop with everything you need.

Bathroom has two showers and two stalls. The shower takes a quarter to run. I suggest you go at an offbeat time to ensure hot water is not depleted during the morning frenzy. It lasted plenty of time, however.

If you are looking for privacy, the sites are somewhat close together, so this may not be for you, but if you want a pleasant experience, responsible owners, and a fun weekend by the fire, then this is a great choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank deanabee

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Uxbridge, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I chose this campground due to its proximity to Keene, New Hampshire and the Pumpkin Festival that we would attend there. We arrived a little after 9:00 pm and they were kind enough to stay open to allow us to check in. It's a good thing that I called beforehand because Janet informed me NOT to follow the GPS directions as I would get stuck on the class 6 road that the GPS would've taken me over!! It was impassable.
When we finally did check in and got squared away Vichi, the security lady, was kind enough to escort us to our site. It's a good thing because it is like driving through the woods and I wasn't sure if we could find our site or not. :-(. But, she guided us there and helped me back in with her fine guidance. She truly was Heaven Sent, as her license plate said.
The site was level and clean. The camp store was accommodating. I was able to buy the AA batteries that I needed for my flashlight.
I wish we could have spent more time in that peaceful place but we more or less used it as a base camp so that we could be close to Keene. I wish I could have spent some time on the back deck of the camp store sipping coffee in the morning and looking at Lake Swanzey that the regulars seem to enjoy so much! Oh well, maybe next time. :-))

• Stayed October 2013
New Hampshire
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My boyfriend and our parents stayed at this campground for the weekend. Our parents have campers and we were in a tent. The sites are very nice and private enough. We did have a hard time fitting our tent on the site with the camper (we have a 6 person tent). There are no open field type campsites. This campground must have been the quietest campground I have ever been too! Usually we are woken up early to the sound of children playing but in this case we were not. Also we never saw the camp owners checking on the sites or telling people when the campfires need to be put out (which was nice). There is only one bathroom facility that is near the camp store (which is across a dirt road from the camp sites) since we were tenting this was very inconvenient. They did have out houses but that is not something you would want to visit in the middle of the night. They do have full hook-up so if you are in a camper I’m sure you would love this place. The lake is small but very nice and clean. We were able to take our dog on the canoe with us no problem which was nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Liane M
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Last weekend I had the pleasure of staying with six of my college friends at Swanzey Lake Camping Area. I am not much of a camper but I have to say, what a great find!

What I'd really like to talk about was the sense of community. The owners as well as the seasonable campers treated each other like family. It was very apparent, in fact, it was infectious. They welcomed us with open arms and made sure we had a good time.

It's not the largest camp site around (does one even want that?) but it sure felt like the greatest. I highly recommend this place. Even if it's just for the people. You can tell that everyone there had a vested interest in the site. They considered it a second home and the people family. I can't say a negative thing.

Room Tip: The sites are a little smaller. If you're looking to party, this may not be the site for you. No...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dan F
Spofford, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had the pleasure of camping at Swanzey Lake Campground for several months last summer. Unlike some of the other reviewers, we had a great experience. We were a rare breed at the campground--most seasonal campers were in rv's, whereas we spent the summer in tents with no electricity. We were not treated like second-class citizens as another reviewer said...in fact, people were very friendly and curious about us. We survived a ten-day stretch of torrential rains, and people checked in on us and were very supportive. The tent sites are spacious, have great fire rings, and good, cold running water is right in front of the sites. It is a pleasant little walk down a wooded trail to the outhouses, but nothing to complain about. And the walk to the real bathrooms with showers was only a few minutes longer. This is camping--If one wants all the amenities of home, perhaps one should stay home!

We found the staff very friendly and helpful, and having "security" drive around at night was not intrusive. It was nice knowing that someone was watching out for the campers. One night they drove by just to let us know that really bad weather was coming, and several families in tents took the opportunity to pack up before the storm

As with all reviews, I take the negative with a grain of salt. Swanzey Lake Campground is a good, old-fashioned camp with a beautiful lake in an amazing location in the Mondadnock region. Our experience was so positive, we are planning to return for another summer!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NancyS390
Methuen
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Both my son and I have been seasonal campers at Swanzey Lake form many years. We (and our wives) occupy two sites which are across the road from each other. The lake is pristine with water so clear that you can see the bottom while standing chest deep. The fishing is good (the lake is stocked) but you will need a NH fishing license as this is not a private lake. The campground is rugged and heavily wooded which makes it somewhat inconvenient for really big campers to maneuver (our 40' unit fits nicely on our site).

To comment on the other reviews that I see for Swanzey Lake:

The staff at the campground are wonderful and caring. The campground is full of children doing what children normally do and (contrary to one review) they are not harassed.
Breaking of small trees and uprooting of foleage is not allowed and security will stop anybody doing that. Security does partol (drive through) the campground until late at night and I (for one) find this to be very reassuring.
The height of fires (knee high) is set upon the campground by the Swanzey Fire Marshall. This is NOT a campground set on a large open field, but one that is deep in the woods. If the Fire Marshall decides that this rule is being ignored, he can revoke the campgrounds fire permit and the nobody will have camp fires.
Separated from your cash for things normally gratis? What!! There is boat and canoe rental and a very nice camp store. Please let me know where these things are free ...
A couple of times a year, the campground throws a large party (often partly pot-luck) but there is not fee for this. On the 4th of July weekend they have a massive fire works display.

The sites are wooded, not paved and therefore there are trees, branches, roots, sand, and leaves. This is camping ... not the Marriott.
I wonder what the reviewer who wrote: "And there (their ... sic) sites are very small" and "I had site 14 - 25 feet from the road which people did at least 50 mph down." is smoking. S/he also wrote that the roads are "SO NARROW!"
That reviewer also wrote that his/her children "got yelled at for playing WITH (caps mine) the trees." Yes ... they are very protective of their small forest.

In short, our family loves Swanzey Lake Camping. I have camped from Maine to Georgia to Wisconsin (tent, popup, hard-side) and this is the first place that I've liked enough to become seasonal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Edward T
New Hartford, CT
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The lake is across the road. It's not a long walk, and it is absolutely beautiful. Photographic opportunities abound. Foliage was beautiful around the lake. We had two sites, our daughter's family on one, we were next door. Our granddaughter couldn't stay away from the lake. She is five and loved "fishing." Somebody was walking to the lake with her at least three times a day. We had full hookups and cable, if watching TV is important to you. We watched the Patriots game Sunday night, but that was it. The sites are rustic and wooded and we are new to hauling, but had no trouble navigating to our site. The sites are clean and have really nice stone-ringed fireplaces. There are permit limitations because of the forested area, and a fire as high as your knees is plenty of fire for us. The owners are friendly and go out of their way to accomodate. It's a great camping experience, and we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharon W

Been to Swanzey Lake Camping Area? Share your experiences!