“Lovely Rooms but the Walls Were Too Thin”

Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
krichard9479
“Lovely Rooms but the Walls Were Too Thin”
Reviewed November 4, 2009

This hotel had very nice rooms. Spacious and very clean. We did have a couple of issues with room though. The first issue was the water pressure. It was very low and not very warm. The second issue was our biggest. Our room was located right off the lobby. The walls between our room and the lobby were so thin that we could hear the phone ringing and the lobby staff talking. It was so loud that they seemed to be right in our room. Needless to say my family and I had a mostly sleepless night. I would stay here again but not in a room next to the lobby.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
White Mountains NH
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Nice place, spacious clean comfortable rooms. My experience with the staff was great but it was very confusing... It appeared as though the "discount" promised to a group was the same rate offered on the internet to everyone and anyone. The owner claims to not remember what he previously offered this group and apparently never writes anything down. Is he a people pleaser/bad manager or a rip off artist with intent to mislead? Eventulally he was somewhat accomodating.. but not without a hassle. Left a bad feeling about the place in general. In my opinion, very nice place but mismanaged. I would suggest he hire a hotel manager that understands the business.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
pierresaba, owner at Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, October 2, 2009
As the owner of the Riverside Hotel, I do not remember speaking to you and the staff does not remember seeing you here. According to you, you booked 10 rooms and we gave you the discounted rate. Originally you booked 10 rooms, but canceled 5 rooms a few days before you were suppose to check in. According to the Riverside Hotel Policy, we should have charged you for those 5 rooms that you canceled. When you complained to us about the price of your room, we did upgrade you to a better room for the same price. Your acquisations about me are out of line since we went out of our way to make you happy. The same message goes to the statement below since they are from the same family.
VT
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We booked rooms at the Riverside Hotel for a group after our wedding. I met with the owner on two occasions to discuss details, but was provided no written contract. The day before our wedding we realized that none of what we discussed with the owner was known to the hotel staff. Poor communication and lack of professionalism, they did make it right in the end, but it was a hassle. A beautiful hotel in a great location, but I would strongly recommend getting any details IN WRITING if you are thinking of using this hotel. We also had a few issues with the breakfast buffet being stocked, and the staff not being helpful regarding help with phone / hot tub problems. Seems to be understaffed at this time. Hopefully in time this will be a great place to stay, but get ALL conversations with management in writing. Beautiful rooms with fantastic TVs, beds and balconies. A great view, very picturesque.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
north attleboro, MA
Reviewed July 19, 2009

The rooms are oversized and beautifully furnished. Sitting on my balcony with a cup of coffee, overlooking the CT River is a relaxing treat. If you wanted to "get away from it all" this is the place. The sleep numbered bed is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. I've stayed at some beautiful hotels and resorts. This place rates with the best.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
quechhee
Reviewed March 13, 2009

I must say the Riverside Hotel is a excellent place to stay in the entire area including Brattleboro VT, Keene NH, and Greenfield MA!. I highly recomend this small luxury hotel to anyone traveling in the area. I love the sleep number beds that they have in every room, also the fact that every room is facing the conneticut river is amazing! I didn't realize that if you stay more than 1 night they have an breakfast coupon for you to eat free at bickfords which deffinitly makes up for the cold breakfast. All of the staff was great too. I wish them much success and luck.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Norwalk, CT
Reviewed March 8, 2009

A longtime friend booked this motel for 4 couples celebrating a 50th birthday. Two couples drove up from CT, one from VT and one from right nearby Keene, NH. We knew it was a bit on the expensive side and even when we drove up to this brand new non-descript three story motel structure we still were curious what was going to justify the cost. All I can say is we were instantly impressed with a beautiful foyer and check in desk. With ceiling to floor glass windows looking out on the CT River-- much more of a bare view in March but I can only imagine fall foliage or summer. This property is brand new with the largest hotel rooms I can ever remember staying in--even in a suite situation. Gorgeous hardwood floors in every room--large screen TV's mounted on the walls. An incredibly spacious sitting area with coffee table, refrigerator and coffee maker. A most incredibly modern and HUGE bathroom with granite countertop and upscale tile flooring. We spent most of our time partying in a suite one couple rented complete with jacuzzi tub and kitchen. No expense spared in the motel. The breakfast room downstairs was amazing and delicious. Nothing hot but the variety of cold offerings made up for it. Located a stones throw off I-91 Brattleboro, VT but just one mile over the line into NH. Nice fitness room. Oversized decks off almost every room which I can only imagine will be most welcome in the summer and fall. My only criticisms are that we stayed on the first floor and I could hear alot in the rooms above us. The rooms don't seem to be well insulated. And the shower was a little weak in pressure. You would have to travel by car anywhere to eat or go out--its not the easiest walk anywhere. Other than that--I highly recommend this hidden little gem and don't let the price scare you--it is definitely not a typical New Hampshire motel!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Latchis Hotel
Latchis Hotel
#3 of 10 in Brattleboro
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

Been to Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!