“Superb”

Chesterfield Inn
Annapolis, MD
“Superb”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Just spent the night at Chesterfield Inn in NH....absolutely fabulous Inn. Rooms were spacious and charming...food fabulous, and lovely little terraces tucked everywhere. Most importantly, dogs (two black labs) were welcomed with open arms. We will be going back for sure. Every single employee that we met was friendly, thoughtful, and well versed in everything....yes, yes, and yes!!!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We booked this place only as a stopover on the way home from vacation, but it could easily be a destination. The room was lovely; the owners cleverly designed the new building so each room feels very private, with its own access to outdoors -- either a little courtyard or porch or terrace, separated from the others by thick yew hedges. Bed was luxurious, furniture attractive, bathroom deluxe. Loved the gas fireplace. It rained a cool rain during our stay, so we were able to switch it on and have a cozy New England fireside feel in August. The staff was uniformly charming and helpful. They brought us breakfast in the room and let us check out late. It made our overnight stop seem like a continuation of the vacation, not a just a way station. We visited on a Sunday, and the restaurant was closed, but the staff gave us restaurant recommendations for Keene and Brattleboro and for the closest option, the lovely Putney Inn just one exit up I-91. (That Inn is probably a competitor to the Chesterfield, but I must recommend it for the dining -- wonderful porch seating, good food, nice folk. No idea about the rooms at the Putney, but the food is definitely worth recommending.) The Chesterfield has rooms that allow pets, and there was nothing second-class about ours. Our dachshund loved it (particularly the direct access to the sloping lawn out back). My one quibble is so minor as to be embarrassing -- with all the lovely touches (plush robes, refrigerator, CD player complete with soothing music), the powdered Coffemate with the coffemaker seemed beneath the Inn's standards. Why not milk in the fridge, or at least UHT half-and-half? But you know you're spoiled when that's the only fault you can find.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Wiscasset, Maine
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I just experienced the most delightful stay at the Chesterfield Inn. Despite making a later-than-planned arrival, after being warmly greeted by Leslie at the desk, I still was able to enjoy a divine supper in their beautiful dining room receiving excellent attention from my server! The lobster stuffed ravioli and Malbec were particularly fine! I slept very well in a magnificent suite. I love the charming tasteful decor and a got the added bonus of enjoying a visit from Tux, the new inn kitten! I so wish I could have stayed longer, but had other travels to make. After a sumptuous breakfast, again with outstanding food and service, I left. But, I WILL most certainly be returning to Chesterfield Inn! Particular thanks to Innkeeper, Judy Hueber, who took time out of her busy multi-tasking, to visit with me, and make me feel right at home!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Haverford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This inn is one of the very best I have visited. The staff is warm and considerate. The service is excellent without being overbearing. The breakfasts are almost too much. The setting is very beautiful, and it is close to Brattleboro, VT which was an important consideration. I've already reserved a room for next summer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2010

**You've arrived**. Kathy, the manager and receptionist is warm, friendly, delightfully welcoming, and intuitively calming - entirely representative of the Chesterfield Inn experience.

I arrived at the Chesterfield Inn after a most horrific experience elsewhere (Echo Lake Inn, Ludlow Vt - do not go there). Kathy saw how distraught I was and did everything possible to make my experience with the Chesterfield Inn enjoyable and exceed expectations.

The room was nicely appointed, very clean, comfortable, and welcoming. Everything works as intended - Keurig coffee maker, stocked fridge, delightful porch overlooking the rolling hills. The people are very personable - exactly what New England Inns aspire to be yet so many fail to deliver. Character and charm to spare.

I cannot wait to arrange business meetings here. I am so glad to learn that dogs are welcome - we will return in earnest in the Autumn and Winter. Truly, a hidden gem. Shhh.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank vcj1977
Boston
Reviewed July 13, 2010

***Good*** Very Clean. Luxurious, well appointed. Charming. Lively. Handy mini sized refrigerator in our room. Dinner at the restaurant was a spectacular experience rivaling any of the finest restaurants we have patronized. A must for serious gourmands.
***Bad*** Two women worked the front desk. One was really nice. First impression on the tall one was stoney and cold. Then on our first morning we got up late and didn't know where breakfast was. She was visibly annoyed. She would be more well suited to the gestapo, not this place. I consider friendly, cheerful staff to be THE most important thing. On the other hand we met the owner, who was the opposite: very thoughtful and friendly.

We stayed in one of the rooms depicted on their website. We found the window treatments and decor were 'dumbed down' from the photographs presented online. This was a disappointment.

Problem in the bath. The tub was at one time a fiberglass jacuzzi. All of the orifices had black mildew in them from disuse, and my wife would shower only, and refuse to bath until I cleaned them out, and proved that the 'water was clear'. Also, the controls for the jacuzzi were covered with a panel. This lent a sort of eerie feel to the bath vs. an 'everything is modern and functioning properly' feeling, which is quite obviously what you want in a place this expensive.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigfastcar
BettyNewHampshire, Owner at Chesterfield Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Thank you for the "almost perfect" rating. We're glad that you were comfortable and enjoyed your dinner. Of course, like all inns, we want to be "just perfect" so we appreciate your taking the time to give us feedback on our shortcomings. We will certainly do our best to rectify all of the criticisms that you had.
Clinton, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 30, 2010

There I was and it was my birthday. What a lovely place to spend a special day and overnight. At dinner time I chose to dine on the outdoor terrace over looking nothing but green meadows and the faraway hills of NH. There was a sunset that couldn't be ordered from the menu! Perfect! I want to express that there is some serious work going on in this kitchen. The entire meal was a 'trip'. It began with light-as-a feather herbed muffins (I had to eat one before it floated off the plate) followed by a salad topped with a tangle of freesia and just the right touch of maple vinaigrette dressing. My entree: seared diver scallops on fresh rosemary papardelle with tomato, saffron, and fennel broth. Knowledgable wait staff informed me that papardelle is a wide pasta...very wide. This mixture of flavors was beyond memorable. I can count on one hand the number of chefs that can properly sear a scallop. One is at The Chesterfield Inn. A number of men arrived for dinner and I thought, "here is my birthday present". It was a Porsche club...how fitting!
My room was spacious and beautifully appointed. I slept well and awoke to birds chirping..not another sound. I couldn't wait for breakfast and was not disappointed. I am a coffee lover and the coffee was superb. Small matter, but very important to me. The inn is nicely situated near tax free shopping and all of NH and nearby VT. Generally, as a senior I don't look forward to another birthday....in this case I can't wait. My next birthday will most likely include a return visit to this very lovely country house inn.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank content01510
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Chesterfield
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Colonial Motel & Spa
Colonial Motel & Spa
#4 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Chesterfield Inn? Share your experiences!