Weirs Beach Lobster Pound
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed August 26, 2011

For a lack of enticing selections in the immediate area, we decided on the Pound. The waitress was friendly and attentive but the bus staff left lots of "stuff" on the floor, and the place wwasn't that busy at all.
The food was just OK and I suppose you are paying for the time of year. I wouldn't be too likely to return if I'm in the area again.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

Found this restaurant because we bought a gift certificate from restaurant.com. In my opinion the food is overpriced and we would not have gone without the certificate, which gave us $25 off. Lobster pie was $30 despite what it says on their website; apparently it has not been updated. But that’s all that is served -- lobster swimming in a heavy butter sauce with a few breadcrumbs sprinkled on top, called “lazy lobster” in our neck of the woods. Predominantly claws (some of which were very bitter) and a couple chunks of tail but then many, many tiny pieces sitting at the bottom in the butter that I left because it was too rich. We dine out a lot and have never been to a place where there is no potato or vegetable that comes with a meal and the only thing put in front of you is meat. I had to snag a few french fries from my husband's plate to try to offset the butter. Granted, I expected "lazy lobster" to be in butter, but this was overwhelming and a potato offering would have been a plus, especially when paying $30 for the meat. Fried clam platter very expensive, mid-$20’s, and clams were small and crunchy, not to my husband’s liking. Final cost after tax, drinks (2 beers and 1 soda) and tip for 2 was $60 -- and that's with $25 off! Only plus was our waitress was nice and the food came in a timely manner but would not recommend seeking it out. We went to the Lyons Den in Gilford (rated elsewhere) and had a much better meal, great atmosphere and great views for $18 less.

2  Thank Weezi67
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We were starving and needed food and didn't know the area, so we asked a local for a recommendation. She pointed us to the Lobster Pound. We gave it a shot. I wish I was still starving.

1  Thank JoelHardman
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We went here because I had a Restaurant.com certificate. What a huge disappointment. We had gone for lobster -- since its called the Lobster Pound we thought it'd be a good place. Come to find out when we get there, they are out of lobster - except for the 3 pounder and who can afford that at $57 each! My husband is the only one who ended up getting fish at all - the fisthermans platter. Nothing more than a very overpriced fried platter that tasted like bar food. It was $25, we had gone to several other restaurants during the week and none of them were over $15 for the same exact thing. I had ordered fettuccini alfredo - it was disgusting. My son had the chicken parm which he said was good....but he's 11 and he'll eat anything. :)

Overall this was the biggest disappointment of the week - especially since we spent just about $100 for the 5 of us and it was not at all good. Service was also extremely slow.

1  Thank lisa06468
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Waited an unacceptable amount of time for meal. Food was not great.

A half an hour after waitress took order I went to find her to inquire about the salad and soup. She was no where to be found, so I told the hostess. The waitress finally showed up at our table, but not with our food, rather the order slip and tried to tell us that our order only went in 10 minutes ago. First of all, you don't argue with a customer, second isn't the waitress the one who puts the order in? if it said 10 minutes ago and she took the order 30 minutes ago, wouldn't that mean she didn't put the order in? The entire dining room seemed to be having the same problem. The owner was good...the couple next to us had waited almost an hour and a half for their food and he ripped up the check. However, when the table behind us complained the manager came out with their order slip and tried to say they were being irrational because their order only went in 30 minutes prior. I butted in and told them their computers must be off becuase we had all been waiting much longer than what the slips said. When our food finally did arrive, only one of us could give a good review (for the linguini and clams). My kids had the ravioli (which was sitting in so much butter they couldn't eat them), the lobster roll was dry and my pasta primavera wasn't appetizing at all. Someone other than our waitress brought our food. Our waitress didn't come by once to check on us - and we did need water and ketchup. I've been spending summers in the lakes region for 30 years and my parents never once brought me to this restaurant, now I know why.

Don't waste your time and money. Go into Merideth and eat at one of The Common Man restaurants instead.

1  Thank anorthcott