“Outdated” 2 of 5 bubbles

Snowy Owl Inn
PA
“Outdated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

The place is full of beautiful wood but really needs updated and cleaned up. They have two gas (!) fireplaces - not wood burning.
Food is mediocre at best and guests are expected to take their own tray and dishes from the table. There is no "service".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JanPPa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Sparta, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I booked this hotel online a week in advance. I specifically chose this place because it was "pet friendly" and we were traveling with our 4 month old Jack Russell. After traveling 9 hours from Jersey with heavy traffic and arriving at 10:00 in the evening, I was told that there was not a "pet friendly" room available! No where on the website did it say only specific room or advance request for dogs. Upon questioning I was told that the website was in the process of being changed but they still would not accommodate my pet or give me any type of compensation. I ended up sleeping in the car with my puppy while my two older daughters slept in the hotel. I was told to speak to a manager in the morning and was hopeful to get a full refund but instead he accused me of bringing the pet in anyway. He told me housecleaning saw me leaving with the dog in the morning which was an outright lie! This place needs to get their act together. What was supposed to be an enjoyable stay ended up being a nightmare.

Room Tip: Stay at Black Bear instead!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ebart2013

Travelers are raving about these Waterville Valley hotels

Cocoa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Our rooms were clean, beds very comfy, the service commendable! The staff accommodated our special request for a large screen and DVD player and a room to have our private family viewing. We highly recommend this inn in the White Mountains. Easy to get to all the viewing sites. Town Square right next door for food and entertainment too!

Stayed October 2013
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

I'll start by mentioning that the rather old jacuzzi has two suction intakes without covers, which is astonishing. That's very unsafe and is unpleasant when you discover this by accident. As for the room, it had a very strong odor that was similar to aftershave. But worse was that the bathroom floor had a fair amount of hair on it from the previous guest(s). The rugs were poorly vacuumed, and the window had blinds but no curtains which made the room very bright in the morning. Finally, the fact that the hot water handle in the sink had a cold water stem (i.e. the handled turned in the wrong direction) confirmed a lack of concern for basic, inexpensive details. There are low-cost solutions to everything I just mentioned which makes their being overlooked very telling about the inn. I admit that I didn't inform hotel staff of any of these issues while at the hotel (but did provide survey feedback), so I didn't give them the chance to clean the floors etc. But I don't think I should ever have to ask to have a bathroom without hair on the floor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

The service was great at the Inn. The area of Waterville Valley is so beautiful. If you have the chance to go then go, you will not be sorry. We were there for a wedding and it was one on the most beautiful weddings I have ever been to. The staff was more than willing to handle any request with a smile.

• Stayed October 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I made the mistake of booking online for a weekend. Come to find out I needed a special room for my dog. Even though online said pet friendly. I paid $169 per night. The pet friendly rooms were $142 plus $15 for the pet. I tried to cancel and rebook directly with the hotel but I would of been charged a night. Now the hotel wants to charge me $15 more when I get there. Shouldn't they be crediting me back $12 a night. They are a bunch of crooks!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Harold1029
Steve H, General Manager at Snowy Owl Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
We were sorry to hear this guests opinion of our customer service, but felt it was important to clarify the situation for other readers. The original reservation was booked, not with the hotel, but with a third party on-line travel agent. With these types of bookings, the contractual relationship is between the guest and the on-line agent. The guest is subject to the terms, conditions, and price and fee structure of the agent. While we try to advocate for what will in the end become our guest and customer, we often have no leverage to change the policies of the on-line agent, especially in terms of the cancellation penalties.

The hotel has six pet-friendly rooms. Pets are not allowed in other rooms of the hotel. Our pet-friendly rooms are not allowed to be booked through on-line travel agents, and must be booked directly with the front desk of the hotel. In the case of this reservation, we did accommodate the guest by making a pet-friendly room available to them. That room, as all of our pet rooms was subject to a $15 non-refundable pet fee in addition to the room rate.
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Its been quite sometime since I was at the Hotel. However it was a great fun place to stay. I will definitely go there again. Perfect location for skiing or hiking in the beautifully visual state of New Hampshire. When we first got there the room we had was right new to the elevator and it was quite noisy. When we asked them to change it the next room was not cleaned ready to go and they quickly apologized and then reassigned us to another suite which was wonderful. It was quite a spacious room and a great view outside. Staff was attentive and willing to help with any requests. A great place to go in the middle of a cold winter with the large fireplace in the lobby. Very cozy and warm.

Room Tip: The town nearby had lots of services and was with in walking distance as well.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
#10 of 20 in Lincoln
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#20 of 20 in Lincoln

Been to Snowy Owl Inn? Share your experiences!