“a great place”

Snowy Owl Inn
Portland, Maine
“a great place”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed at the Snowy Owl the weekend of 2/8-2/10 and had a wonderful experience. The location was perfect, right near the mountain with the village shopping center and restaurants next to the Inn. Our booking included a deluxe room, ski tickets, and continental breakfast. While the breakfast was very basic and a little underwhelming, the price overall was a very good deal. I agree with the other postings about this place needing updating, however, it is very fair for the price and is more than sufficient if you are looking for a cozy lodge near a mountain. We had a party of 6 people, booked two rooms, and everyone enjoyed their stay. The staff was courteous and thoughtful. I left a watch and some other items in a drawer in my room and received a phone call and email within hours of departure to discuss. They offered to mail the items to me, I offered to pay for the mailing, and they asked if I needed the items express or regular mail. I was very impressed with this and appreciate receiving these items 2 days later.

Overall, it's not the most upscale lodge but it is a great deal and more than sufficient for a great ski trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bryan P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Andover, MA
Reviewed February 7, 2013

this place is nothing short of a frat house. dirty, tired, smells bad.

our room - right off the living room area - was like a shelter room. the beds were HORRIFIC. not entirely sure the sheets were clean. there was a queen bed - bad, twin - really bad, pull out couch - remember the Seinfeld episode? the pull out was so bad my 9 year old woke up with a back ache and barely slept. if a kid can't sleep on you know it's bad.

that brings me to continental breakfast. guy at the front desk was rude. you have to PAY for a tea bag - $1. you have to be kidding!!!!!!!!!! there was coffee and some tasteless muffins (not their fault - shipped in from God knows where). never again...no, seriously. i'd rather sleep in my car with a blanket.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lindsey R

Travelers are raving about these Waterville Valley hotels

york pa
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Checkin was quick. Seemed to be a two man operation. Rooms need updating. Heater was noisy. I was solo so it was ok. Bed was comfortable but soft. Internet was slow. Nice lobby area. I had to check out before the free breakfast was served. Pool area looked clean. One jacuzzi was drained but one was working.

There were two very nice friendly waitresses working Sunday morning who got me a bowl and hot water for my oatmeal. I left them a tip for their trouble.

I was concerned that noise would be an issue because my room was next to the pool area and elevator, but I heard nothing. The heater was constantly turning off and on and you would have to adjust the TV volume each time.

Location is what sells this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
York, Maine
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was the second time we stayed at the Inn so no surprises. I was prepared to handle the Inn Keeper's lack of customer service skills. He really should go visit the manager/owner? of Legends, a local restaurant in walking distance to the Inn, who bends over backwards for his customers. It felt wierd to have a security guard walking around at night but maybe the Inn has had problems at night in the past or is being proactive-- I don't know. Cold pool so the kids only use the hot tub. Breakfast good. Loft room small for seven people but we made it work. Might make sense for the Inn to remove the in room jacuzzi tub which really only fits one person. Wasted space that could possibly be used for more living space in the room. Inn was clean. We enjoyed sitting by the fire place after dinner on our floor visiting with friends. The various sitting areas through-out the Inn and being in walking distance to the Rink and Town Square will maybe send me back for a third visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Arlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This inn had eveything we needed for a winter getaway. We walked in from a day of skiing to the warmth of a fire in a large stone fireplace, a Saturday wine and cheese social and friendly staff. The kids loved the pool and we enjoyed watching them from the jacuzzi. Our room had a winter theme and the best part was looking at the cross country skiers from the window. Don't expect slick and hotel like, think cozy- it was just what we wanted.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back have a nice view of the cross country ski trails by the river.
Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fishee123
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is a great place to host a family reunion and/or work function. I attended a work function and it was very comfortable. We had comfortable living, friendly staff and access to shops and snowboarding. Great location!

I had one tiny issue with the beds; the beds are not comfortable enough for me. This is a point of personal preference; I just hoped to have a more comfortable sleep but the kindness of the staff and location outweighs my bed preference. I would definitely go again to this great location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sandy J
Newton, MA
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This inn is terrific for kids, has a great pool, and offers excellent service, The area is wonderful for cross-country skiing and has great downhill options as well. The feeling is very casual and comfortable -- all in all a great vibe.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
#10 of 20 in Lincoln
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#20 of 20 in Lincoln

Been to Snowy Owl Inn? Share your experiences!