“Beautiful area”

Best Western Silver Fox Inn
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I stayed one night at the Best Western Silver Fox Inn. Beware if you book there, your GPS and Mapquest will be wrong. It is in the area across the street from Coyote Wild, not in development behind it. The lady helped me with getting to right place. The room was clean and safe. Basically no frills type room. They serve homemade breakfast the next day which is great. Checkout was quick. For those who read previous posts, I saw one cat who walked in and sat in the corner tat morning. He was quickly put back out, they were not an issue for me. Great area for walking, skiing, skating and relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank cvandenbraak

Reviewed September 5, 2010

I can not understand some of the negative critisism made about this hotel. It is not a business class hotel, it is located in a beautiful location and can best be described as a home from home where the staff work incredibly hard to make your stay a real pleasure. I am allergic to cats but had no problem with the occasional sighting of the hotel owners pets. The rooms were clean and very comfortable, with the breakfast being a real treat to look forward to. Plenty of home made food both healthy and wholesome (the bread pudding was to die for). This is a comfortable homely affordable hotel in a beautiful part of the world. The hotel owners (Susan and Tor) have bags of ideas to help guests out ensuring you can get the most out of the area. If you are looking for perfection pay 5 star prices and get ripped off at another hotel. This hotel is a real gem and we will be returning.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JackieandDean
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We were travelling as a party of two families on holiday touring North East USA, From the moment we arrived we felt very comfortable, the famlily rooms are quite large and we were given a room just off reception, at first I was concerned it could have been noisy but this was totally wrong as when you were in your room only silence could be heard! This idyllic location is excellent for exploring Waterville Valley & White Mountains and we took advantage of the free mountain bike hire offered by this hotel. The breakfast is something else! All cooked fresh by the owners - Susan & Tor, you can help yourself as much as you like! My husband particulary liked Susan's rhubarb crumble. The owners are very friendly and helped us arrange our activities for the 6 nights that we stayed. We were made very welcome at this hotel and Susan's cooking is awesome! - Fantastic
P.S. Other customer comments re: the cats - Yes they had cats but blink and you'd miss them! - no problems - Thanks Susan & Tor

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I was at professional seminars/trainings with a blind colleague and they had cats that attacked my colleague's guide dog, the hotel new in advance that there would be a guide dog staying there and the worst part of the incident was the hotel empoyee heard what happened and never left the room that is adjoined to the front desk. This hotel was dirty, I got water on the bathroom wall and it left clean marks on the wall in the shape of my hand, the shower/tub walls had mold and mildew all over the grout. The walls and the ceiling had large cracks in them, and the ceiling also had brown water stains on it. You could also hear the people in the room above and below my room and they were not being loud either. My job requires extensive off site training seminars so I stay in a lot of hotels and this is by far one of the 2 worst hotels I have ever stayed in in my life. Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2010

This hotel came recommended and yes, was clean and quaint and a great location. The continental breakfast was more than that and the afternoon wine and cheese was very good. However, I hate cats and they were everywhere from the front door to the hallway and sitting in the chair next to the wine and cheese display! There was animal hair in our room. I did not realize (or read anywhere) that it was a pet friendly inn and would not go back because of that! I agree with the reviewers referring to the personality-less host and hostess! I excused it the first time but watched for a change and one never came. I'm not sure how people in service can not be friendly! So if you like cats and don't need friendly hosts.....its great place to stay for the very reasonable pricing!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2010

The Silver Fox truly earns the title "Inn". The place has the coziness and good food that make it feel like a Bed and Breakfast. We are talking warm and fresh goodies, not pre-made stuff from boxes. The broccoli quiche in the morning was superb, not to mention the double chocolate cookies and sandwich spread from the "wine and cheese toasting" the evening prior. I got far more out of staying at the Silver Fox than what I paid.

As far as the other comments about how the staff is not friendly, I don't think that is true. I think they keep to themselves to maintain the quiet and solitude that makes the Silver Fox so relaxing. We spoke with the owner, and she was calm, quite friendly and helpful. We talked with her for at least 15 minutes about the area. I mean the staff doesn't want to bombard you, they want you to enjoy your vacation. Their actions show they care for their customers. They are happy to help if you have any questions.

And the view from the kitchen/eating area, wow! A mountain right there!

Once again, for the price, the Silver Fox is fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Totchos
Reviewed January 24, 2010

My family of 4 stayed at the Silver Fox for a weekend in January. We arrived around 5:00 pm and went to check in. There was a woman in the office just off the check in area, she acted as though we were a huge bother. A disappointing start to our weekend. She gave us no information on the hotel such as times for breakfast, shuttle location or a local map even though we told her we had just arrived in town and had never been to the area.

The location of the inn is convenient to the mountain and Town Square. The rooms were on the smaller side but clean. The bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was very good, as were the afternoon hot appetizers they provided.

We were surprised by the fact that all of the staff we encountered were NOT friendly at all. This was surprising to me as the prior reviews I had read talked about how friendly the innkeepers were. As mentioned in the last review, the gentleman that took care of the breakfast in the mornings never said hello or good morning to anyone during the 2 mornings we were there. Perhaps it was an off weekend.

In any case, we would still stay at the Silver Fox Inn again because of the location, the cost and the cleanliness of the hotel. The included breakfast was a great benefit and the fact that the hotel is very quiet was a bonus.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Black Bear Lodge
Black Bear Lodge
#2 of 5 in Waterville Valley
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Plymouth

Been to Best Western Silver Fox Inn? Share your experiences!