“Enjoyable skiing”

Waterville Valley Resort - Ski Area
More attraction details
Owner description: Year-round recreation area offering skiing and snowboarding in the winter, plus hiking, golfing and biking during the warmer months.
Reviewed February 21, 2012

The skiing here is quite good for the Northeast - there was plenty of snow cover, not too icy, most trails were open. The waits for the lifts were very reasonable. I'm an intermediate skier and had plenty to do.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Just returned from taking a school group skiing in Waterville valley. If your thinking of taking a group - DO IT!! I am a veteran of such trips and never have we had such treatment., from the staff at the snowy owl inn to the mountain staff and transport team. If I tell you that every time we returned from skiing the desk staff came to hold the door open from us and at every meal the owner came to check that every thing was going smoothly that sets the benchmark for the trip.
Every morning a member of the resort staff was at the hotel to get all the school groups out and up to the mountain on time. We were met at the mountain on arrival and on departure by Conrad, for whom nothing was too much trouble. Boot fit and the equipment we received was great and well organised. Lessons were well run and organised, they even put on an extra instructor when part of one group developed faster . Many thanks to Forrest , the Paul's and all the other staff who made the trip avert successful one for pupils and staff. A special thank-you should go to the efficient piste patrol and medical staff, when one of our party broke an ankle she was off the mountain into the medical centre and in plaster within an hour. Both Conrad and the hotel supported us in her care and getting her back home with the minimum of fuss.
I can't stress how impressed we all were with the care we all received...which has not always been the case in some resorts particularly in Europe.
As for the skiing we took a a beginners / intermediate group and there was plenty to for them. There is not much in the way of double blacks but there is plenty for advanced pupils to improve their skills on.
Well done Waterville Valley.

1  Thank Alyson F
Reviewed January 25, 2012

What a story. It starts off with 2 fantastic days of skiing. It was lightly snowing, we had beautiful views of snow capped mountains and great powdery conditions for New England skiing. Lift operators were fantastic and it was so great to see them especially with the young ones learning. For a busy day waits were minimal and so many options for trails and lifts! The staff we encountered were great! From Smitty in the snow board rental store to my son's great instructor from Plymouth State! When we realized that our car key was lost and we were 1 1/2 hours from the nearest dealer to re-create a key, phoneless, feeling homeless and destitute, it was cold and dark... in walks our "SuperMan" Gary Gallant! Gary is the manager at the T-Bar restaurant and bar at the base of the mountain. Of course, I was in a panic, and feeling very guilty as the key was in my possession, Gary assisted us in using his connections with the local AAA tow truck and get his ETA for us. He waited for us while the AAA driver attempted to get into our car, organized a hotel for us and then, even after his very long day at work away from his wife and family, he drove us to the resort safe and sound! By the way, he makes a mean chili and I definitely recommend the Dark and Stormy's at the bar! I cannot express my gratitude towards him enough. His kindness and compassion was so sincere and heartfelt. It was cold and dark and he was our hero! He even called us the next morning to check in and see if we needed a ride any where or if there was anything else that he could do for us. We cannot wait to get back to that amazing, beautiful, mountain, but especially to visit the amazing team and our hero Gary Gallant! We'll be back this year and every year to come! Thank you so much Gary!

1  Thank jennifer l
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Visited last weekend for a day trip up from Boston with friends. There has recently been a dump of snow so the conditions were great! It's quite a compact resort and everything was accessible, so ideal for beginners; if you are an experienced skier/snowboarder then you can easily cover all the trails in a day, so you may get a big bored if you're there for a whole week. I rented a ski set from their rentals place, and the staff were helpful and friendly. I was given some quite worn skis which didn't do well on some of the icy patches, so I took them back to see if I could get sharper ones for the afternoon, and they happily exchanged them for a brand new pair (it made such a difference)! Overall a great compact resort!

Reviewed January 22, 2012

This was my first time back in 25 years. Different experience as we used to bring the kids with a large group of families for a week of skiing and lessons. This time it was just my hubby and me and I don't ski anymore :-( The number of condos and townhouses has grown, but it seems the smaller places to stay have lost some of the individual amenities. As the resort is at the end of a long road 10 miles or so off I93, there is not much closeby. Everything is quite close to the village center, but walking not too good due to snowy and icy roads and no sidewalks. There is a shuttlebus, thankfully, and parking lots! The ski area is up the road and you must drive or shuttle. There is a fitness center with indoor pool, exercise machines and weightlifting room. No fee to those staying in inns. There is a little grocery and gift shops, coffee shop, sandwich shop, a couple nice restaurants, a bead shop, book shop, chocolate shop. Weekend sleigh rides offered and I saw an ad for dog sleds. As for skiing: my husband really enjoyed the downhill and the area saw some new snow while we were here. There were NO lift lines midweek. The area looks very snowboard friendly and bills itself as "birthplace of freestyle skiing". I did cross country. The nordic center in the village center does sales and rentals. I bought a ticket and drove to a popular area near the ski slope and had a true experience in nature. Trails are groomed- I saw tracks and grooming for skate skiing. There are people snowshoeing also. In the summer, it appears the outdoor pools in the lodges open and there is biking and hiking. And just beautiful scenery. The resort has a small full time living population and it seems to be a very closeknit group who appreciate this special place. I would say that if you are coming with children, look carefully at where you are staying and think about bundling everyone up to get to that fitness center after ski or eat. You might need to leave your lodge for whatever else you want to do. Our senior tickets were a real bargain, by the way!