“Hope to return soon”
Review of Golden Eagle Lodge

Golden Eagle Lodge
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We would definately return to the lodge. Our kids had a wonderful time. They really enjoyed the pool and the hot chocolate in the lobby! Only thing we could've asked for was a DVD playing in out suite, but other than that, no complaints. Makes our family wish we were more into winter sports!

• Stayed: January 2014
Buzz M, Guest Relations Manager at Golden Eagle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay!

There are newer reviews for Golden Eagle Lodge

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We had a great time, although there was a little confusion on our ski tickets. One clerk told us they were to be redeemed at the mountain, in reality we had to redeem them at the hotels front desk which delayed our time on the mountain because we had to end up driving back to the hotel for the passes. It was very frustrating, but the hotel itself was very clean and nice!

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your review. We're so sorry for the mix-up. We endeavor to make each of our guest's visits pleasant and your reviews help alert us to issues we need to address. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We were attending a hockey tournament and were trying to stay where majority of the team did. When I called to book the reservation 6 weeks in advance, I was told the hotel was pretty much sold out and the only accommodation available was a two bedroom condo pricing at $500 a night.
Not to carve my son out of what we thought would be a great team experience, I booked it.
We arrived late friday night to a lobby of bathing suit clad kids and a lot of energy. You could smell the pool chemicals in the lobby. I said to the clerk at check in, " I hope we have a quiet room", she said " you should be fine you are in the basement..." My son and I gather our gear and headed down a level. It was a basement with indoor outdoor carpet, dim lighting and utilitarian at best.
On a positive note while entering the two bedroom unit, we found it very clean and a good layout, although way too much space for just the two of us. I resented the "up sell". The unit was very basic.

I got my son settled in with a shower and to bed and then went to call my husband to let him know we arrived safely after a 4 hour drive... No cell service, no internet. I called the front desk and told them the internet code they gave me did not work and could I get some help and I was told, " sorry there is not cell coverage or Wifi in your unit- " WHAT? And if you have ATT it is not a carrier with good coverage here at all - He then told me I could use a charge card to make a call. So I hang up and pull out my charge card tried to make the call 4 times- No luck so I called the front desk getting a new person, a young gal and I say; " forgive me I really am a nice person but this situation is TOTALLY unacceptable" I can't use my cell phone, or iPad and the credit card call does not work either- She proceeds to tell me the phone in our unit is not equipped to make credit card calls- ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I lost it. She said "hold a minute and I will be right down... "An angel- She knocks on the door and hands me her red cell phone , " Here use mine, I have unlimited calls and coverage- " What a doll. I told her I simply had to call my husband and teen age daughter and would not be more than a minute- She left- I made the two, 3 minute calls and she came back to collect her phone. This gal is going places, what great judgement . I tipped her a $20 and was glad to learn this was her PT job.

I set a wake up call on the unit phone, heard the confirmation for 6:00am. We slept well the beds were clean and comfortable until the wake up call rang at 4:30 AM! not surprised the place is terrible.

My son and I get up, move slowly since we had an extra 1 1/2 , get dressed for our early game- we head out because we are told the night before at checkin "its easy, just walk out back and down the hill to the rink" No mention of weather- concern for possible ice- We head out and hit ice that I have NEVER seen before. I am born and raised in New England, I get ice- It is a sheet of ice- we can't walk, let along move... I see a fellow on the hill and ask, what should we do? He yells " the best thing to do would be walk in the snow" I ask "are you sanding should we wait" He tells me no, he is simply trying to make his way up the hill. - Its 6:15 am- pitch black out and pouring, we are trailing a hockey bag- I am like are you kidding me? No sand or salt- its 6:15 am- there were games earlier- where is the maintenance crew? Where were the signs- "watch your step" etc- Ok so its mother nature, I get it and I try to turn this nightmare into an adventure for my son- lets head back in , be careful and we"ll drive there. We shuffle our way back- again not a lick of sand or salt to be seen , it is now 7am.

I could go on- but will let it go I check out Saturday not spending the second night- not a word from the staff, - The venue for a hockey tournament is nice, low key, the restaurants good. I think the other accommodations pricing at $200 get a bad wrap because there is NOTHING golden about this eagle. Buyer be ware.

Room Tip: Lower rooms quieter but gutter run makes you feel like pipes are running all night long.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank L C
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed in room 528 very clean and modern. Plenty of sleeping accommodation for family of 5. Great location. Lobby area was clean with fireplace to hang out and relax. Complementary coffee and hot chocolate which kids enjoyed.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed during the last week of 2013 at the Golden Eagle. The rooms are privately owned condos, with a full kitchen. We had Room 321, highly recommend it! Very spacious, fully equipped kitchen. Everything was very clean, and there is maid service as well. The room has a queen size bed, twin bed with a trundle and a Murphy Bed. Perfect to go skiing at Waterville, as there is a shuttle that picks you up every 10 minutes at the hotel entrance and takes you to the ski area. The hotel is walking distance (2 minute walk) to the shopping area with several places to eat, a convenience store and gift shops. You can also rent cross country and snowshoeing equipment.

Room Tip: Since these are privately owned condos, they are all different. I would inquire about the room cond...
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We spent 3 days at the Golden Eagle with some other families - 4 rooms in total, 21 people. 11 kids from elementary through high school age.

Pro's:
Location, location, location: Easy to drive to, fly via Manchester, walk to town square, ice skating, x-country skiing, restuarants, you name it. The only thing a couple miles away was the ski area but the shuttle was easy, efficient, and better than driving there.
Amenties - we loved having the pool, hot tubs, skaing, and health club access included. This was especially great for the less avid or people in our group that did not ski. Everyone had plenty of options.
Sking was very good, not Utah or Colorado but great New England skiing and more reasonable than many mountains of comparable size
Dinner options were good not great
Some of the rooms were very nice - newly renovated, fireplaces, the works.
The price was reasonable and fair given the time of the and all considered

Cons:
There is really only one and that is our rooms and in particular heat. Our room was a furnace and even though it was 0 degrees out, we had to keep 2-3 windows open and it was still warm! The maintence crew was very nice and responsive but couldn't fix the problem - they had to get someone else and it didn't get fixed. Our friends room was warm but for one bedroom that was freezing cold. I would not stay in room 624 again unless the heat gets fixed!

Bottom line: We will definately go back but will scope the rooms out carefully.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2013

My wife and I started visiting Waterville Valley over 10 years ago, and we stayed at the GEL on one of our first trips. We've been going back ever since, with our last visit just last weekend. This amazing Lodge offers hotel-type benefits (daily cleaning, front desk service, indoor pool) with condo-style stays. We're frugal, but the one-bedroom condos are incredibly spacious and allow room for us and our 6 year old son. The location is prime - a short walk to the Town Square and all it's activities, shops, dining, events, etc. Also a playground and soccer field right outside the door. Not only great for skiers, but we love to visit in the summer too. The rooms are clean and modern, the staff is friendly, and we consider the GEL a home away from home!

Room Tip: Some condos are bigger than others - ask!
1  Thank Tim C
#4 of 20 in Lincoln
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods

Been to Golden Eagle Lodge? Share your experiences!