“pleasant family ski vacation”
Review of Black Bear Lodge

Black Bear Lodge
Massachusetts
“pleasant family ski vacation”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spent three nights here and felt it was a good value for the money. Nothing new, fancy or upscale about it, but we were comfortable and our room was quite clean. Kitchen had pretty much all the amenities we needed for making breakfast and evening snacks. Furnishings are pretty dated, including the TVs, but perfectly functional. I will say that one issue was that there was not really a "comfortable" chair in the living room to watch TV.....my husband and I tried to strectch out opposite ways on the couch w/some success while my son laid on the floor. It was OK but definitely not a squishy/soft couch. Beds were comfortable. Front desk staff are very friendly and helpful as are the housekeepers. Plenty ot towels and linens provided. Great location in terms of short walk to town center to restaurants and shops, and, shuttle bus to the mountain picked us up just out front. Was great to get our ski passes at the desk and with discount. Nice to have no need to get in our vehicle for the three days we were there. Pool is small....best for younger children it seems. Our only complaint about the pool was that our room, being on the back of the building, picked up a great deal of noise from the outdoor portion of the pool as we watched TV in the evening even with the windows closed.

Room Tip: Stay away from rear of building near the pool if you do not like noise.
1 Thank eileen4422
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Being able to park and play while in Waterville Valley is one of the best reasons to vacation here. The Black Bear Lodge is so close to the pedestrian village that it really helps guests make the most of their vacation, especially for families.

I am so sorry that the furniture in your unit wasn't comfortable. We are still in the middle of updating many of our units and comfortable furniture is a big one for our owners this year. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Next time you visit, if your unit doesn't have the furniture you'd prefer, please don't hesitate to ask if we have another unit available for you. We'd be happy to accommodate you in any way to meet your expectations.

We hope to see you again soon!

Matt Hesser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed a few nights over Feb. vacation. The kids had a blast! The indoor-outdoor pool was nice. Kids went to watch movies each night in the kids theater (which I think was just a big screen tv but good enough!) they also liked the game room. We used the skating rink across the street and big pool at the club. The resort fee was a little pricey but it includes the rink and athletic club so take advantage of this. Skiing was great and the lodge sells discounted lift tickets which is nice.
The condo was pretty dated, it looked like it was furnished with This End Up furniture. But it was clean and comfortable. Perfect for the kids.

Room Tip: we had a 1st floor room which was close to the pool and game room
3 Thank greatescaper5
I'm so glad to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy all our great amenities around the hotel and the resort. Waterville Valley and the Black Bear Lodge are great for kids to stay busy.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your unit's datedness. We are working hard to update every unit. I hope you decide to visit us again soon to experience a new unit.

Please let me know if we can assist you for your next vacation.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 20, 2013

A disconnect between quality and price is apparent in many ways at the resort, and lodging is no exception.
The Black Bear Inn may be ranked #1 in the valley here on Tripadvisor, but our room was filthy when we arrived and I had to do some cleaning on my own before we could settle in. Some of the dishes appear to have been stored away unwashed by the previous occupants. The decor is a matter of taste, but when the only update that the place has seen since its construction in 1986 was paint, I take issue with that at $300 per night. The hallways and public areas reminded me of military baracks.The pool is small and the water was cold and cloudy so that not even the kids wanted to go in. (Btw, the "multi-million Dollar" Athletic Center is no alternative for those seeking basic cleanliness - the majority of the visitors there use the Jaccuzzi in lieu of a shower after a day of skiing. As a result, a layer of body grease floats on the water one the jets shut off. Yuck!)
There was no heated facility for storing ski boots that was secure or locked over night, so we had to bring them into the room.
On a positive note, we had two working TVs (although on of the remotes was not), a spacious apartment, and a mattress that was firm and not sagging - at least no back pain in the morning.
Overall, the Black Bear Lodge appears to be a place that is primarily a money-maker for shareholders and owners, but does not cater much to paying guests. Which is consistent with the resort as a whole.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that our number one priority is our guests and we work hard to right any wrong our guests experience. I am so sorry that our priority was not felt during your experience. I asked around all the staff and no one was aware of a situation where someone checked into a room that was dirty. I wish we had known so that we could have made it up to you. We have been working extremely hard over the past few years to update the building in various ways. We will continue to do so until there is not question of our efforts. I would love to discuss the problems you had during your stay if you wouldn't mind calling me sometime. It would be very helpful to learn more about your experience and perspective. I will pass along your concerns regarding the resort to the appropriate people. Again, I truly apologize for your experience and hope you can give us another chance to exceed your expectations in the future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Everything you need for weekend hockey tourney stay. Pool was cool. Two floor condo on the fifth floor is perfect for knee hockey upstairs, parents downstairs. Tvs could be updated. Haven't seen a Murphy bed since the 3 stooges but worked out great.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Ilovebeinghome
I'm glad to hear that we could meet all your needs. Thank you for your feedback regarding the TVs. We are in the process of continued upgrades and TVs are at the top of the list. I always get a kick out of the Murphy beds too. They're throwback in concept but really comfortable and fun.

We hope you see here up here again soon. Please let me know if we can assist you in the future.

Duxbury, Ma
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Fantastic, Friendly service. Comfortable, Clean and Courteous. Great for young teen and pre-teens. We arrived mid week and the desk was very accommodating. Use to dealing with lots of kids. Fireplace was warm and inviting. Lots of extra sitting space outside of your room to sit, relax and read or chat with family and friends. Fully serviced kitchen with dishwasher, made feeding the 7 children I had with me a snap! Great for traveling on a budget. Rooms were not fancy but comfortable and clean.

2 Thank duhadley
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I'm thrilled to hear everyone had such a great time and that we were able to meet so many of your needs. We love having families at the Black Bear Lodge. It's a great place to unwind and have fun.

I hope we soon again soon. Summer is also an amazing time to get out and play up here in the Valley!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The indoor outdoor pool was fantastic, it kept my teenagers as well as my young kids entertained. The staff was more than accommodating when the hockey team met in the lobby for a meeting, I highly recommend it to anyone with or without kids. Ill be sure to be back! :)

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank NJKelly1
I'm so glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your experience at the Black Bear Lodge and that the kids had fun. Waterville Valley as a whole is a great family destination. We'll look forward to your return!

Waterford, Connecticut
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Let me fist start by saying that I much prefer staying in chain hotels where I know that there is a certain quality standard. However, there a very few chain hotels near ski resorts, so we had to go out of our comfort zone and stay in a non chain hotel in order to be close to waterville valley ski resort. We stayed in a deluxe room, which is a condo-like room with 1 bedroom, and a separate living, kitchen space. In the bedroom was 1 queen bed(we were told king) and 1 twin bed, with a twin trundle (so two twin beds.) there was an accordion room divider (which was broken) between the queen bed and the twin beds. When the trundle is open, the bathroom door is blocked and cannot be accessed from the bedroom, you have to go around through the living room. The living room is spacious, but the furniture is uncomfortable. the couches have hard wooden sides, so definitely not a couch to lay and lounge on, or sleep on. The kitchen had the essentials if you we're planning to dine in, but we did not really use the kitchen except to make coffee ( and you'll need to, because the coffee in the lobby is worse than any gas station coffee you may have had.) They do have a kuerig machine in the lobby and you can buy kcups. The hot tub was broken, we did not use the pool which was small, or the sauna. We did spot a small workout room, but did not use that either. There was a girls hockey tournament nearby, so the hotel was loaded with teenage girls that ran the halls until midnight one night, which was a drag. No daily housekeeping except for a bag of clean towels that is left at your door daily.

Now for the bright side....it is close to the ski resort; within a very short walk to town square which has shopping, restaurants and the skating rink. The price was very reasonable and included free shuttle transportation to the ski resort, and admission to the ice rink. The staff were very friendly. There were ski lockers downstairs to store your stuff, and plenty of storage in the room. The kitchen is small, but the ding table is large enough for 4-6 people to enjoy a meal, play a game or hold all your gear. It was clean.
Friends of ours were staying at a nearby chain hotel and we had a chance to see compare rooms. I have to say, their accommodations were nicer, and less expensive. However, they were not within walking distance of anything and did not have free shuttle service, and they only had double beds.

I don't think I would stay there again, unless I was bringing my kids hockey team. Not horrible, but not wonderful. It's a good place to crash if your not looking for too many creature comforts.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I am truly sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations. I'm so sorry that you did not receive a room with a king bed as you requested. I have looked into why you did not receive the room you originally requested and have remedied they system. Thank you so much for letting us know. It sounds like unfortunately you stayed in a room which had not been updated yet. I understand your appeal to chain hotels and their consistancy. With our new updates we are working strongly to address those guest concerns. You're review also spurred me to up the priorty of changing our coffee and have recently partnered with a local coffee roaster which should be in place soon. We do offer daily housekeeping service to all units. The only time that we leave a bag of clean towels is if we see a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. We are also in the process of adapting that system too to be more attentive to guest needs. Again, I apologize for your experience here at the Black Bear Lodge and would love the opportunity to discuss it with you further if you wouldn't mind calling me sometime. I would love the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville Valley
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Woodwards Resort & Inn
Woodwards Resort & Inn
#11 of 20 in Lincoln

Been to Black Bear Lodge? Share your experiences!