“Good crash pad”
Review of Black Bear Lodge

Black Bear Lodge
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Let me fist start by saying that I much prefer staying in chain hotels where I know that there is a certain quality standard. However, there a very few chain hotels near ski resorts, so we had to go out of our comfort zone and stay in a non chain hotel in order to be close to waterville valley ski resort. We stayed in a deluxe room, which is a condo-like room with 1 bedroom, and a separate living, kitchen space. In the bedroom was 1 queen bed(we were told king) and 1 twin bed, with a twin trundle (so two twin beds.) there was an accordion room divider (which was broken) between the queen bed and the twin beds. When the trundle is open, the bathroom door is blocked and cannot be accessed from the bedroom, you have to go around through the living room. The living room is spacious, but the furniture is uncomfortable. the couches have hard wooden sides, so definitely not a couch to lay and lounge on, or sleep on. The kitchen had the essentials if you we're planning to dine in, but we did not really use the kitchen except to make coffee ( and you'll need to, because the coffee in the lobby is worse than any gas station coffee you may have had.) They do have a kuerig machine in the lobby and you can buy kcups. The hot tub was broken, we did not use the pool which was small, or the sauna. We did spot a small workout room, but did not use that either. There was a girls hockey tournament nearby, so the hotel was loaded with teenage girls that ran the halls until midnight one night, which was a drag. No daily housekeeping except for a bag of clean towels that is left at your door daily.

Now for the bright side....it is close to the ski resort; within a very short walk to town square which has shopping, restaurants and the skating rink. The price was very reasonable and included free shuttle transportation to the ski resort, and admission to the ice rink. The staff were very friendly. There were ski lockers downstairs to store your stuff, and plenty of storage in the room. The kitchen is small, but the ding table is large enough for 4-6 people to enjoy a meal, play a game or hold all your gear. It was clean.
Friends of ours were staying at a nearby chain hotel and we had a chance to see compare rooms. I have to say, their accommodations were nicer, and less expensive. However, they were not within walking distance of anything and did not have free shuttle service, and they only had double beds.

I don't think I would stay there again, unless I was bringing my kids hockey team. Not horrible, but not wonderful. It's a good place to crash if your not looking for too many creature comforts.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

I am truly sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations. I'm so sorry that you did not receive a room with a king bed as you requested. I have looked into why you did not receive the room you originally requested and have remedied they system. Thank you so much for letting us know. It sounds like unfortunately you stayed in a room which had not been updated yet. I understand your appeal to chain hotels and their consistancy. With our new updates we are working strongly to address those guest concerns. You're review also spurred me to up the priorty of changing our coffee and have recently partnered with a local coffee roaster which should be in place soon. We do offer daily housekeeping service to all units. The only time that we leave a bag of clean towels is if we see a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. We are also in the process of adapting that system too to be more attentive to guest needs. Again, I apologize for your experience here at the Black Bear Lodge and would love the opportunity to discuss it with you further if you wouldn't mind calling me sometime. I would love the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was our second stay at BBL. We brought my mother-in-law up from FL for her 90th birthday the first week of October. She loves the mountains and never gets to see the fall foliage, and Black Bear Lodge was the perfect place to for a quiet getaway. We rented a condo for a week and "Charlie" made sure we had a great view for the special occasion. The lodge is nestled between the mountains, just far enough away from the heart of the resort for peace and quiet, but close enough to the convenience to walk or take the free shuttle. The resort has dining that ranges from take out to white table linens. There is shopping, a spa, and a small lake for kayaking or canoeing and swimming. We spent a rainy day just relaxing in the condo and cooking meals together. The lodge has an indoor/outdoor pool and we used the workout facility. There is no restaurant in the building, but the kitchen is fully equipped, and there is a general store in the resort.
We have already recommended Black Bear Lodge to others. Next visit, we hope to see a moose!

Room Tip: The best views are in the back (north) side, facing the mountains. The higher the floor, the better...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Susanne D
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Susanne,
Thank you so much choosing the Black Bear Lodge for your special weekend and for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our lodge as well as all that Waterville Valley has to offer. It really is a special place.

We'll look forward to your next visit. Be sure to ask for me so I can assist you with a moose adventure next time. They truly are a spectacular site.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We just came back from a wonderful trip to the valley. The Black Bear Lodge was friendly, the room was clean and spacious. I have 3 children under 10 but our 2 bedroom condo had more than enough space for everyone to relax after skiing. The condo owner was well stocked with children's games. My oldest son was thrilled to find the owners had the entire series of Star Wars movies. The pool was great fun. The only thing that could have made it any better is if the dog could have come too!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jenn M
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Jenn,
Thank you for sharing your experience in the Valley with us. I'm so glad to hear your family enjoyed the Black Bear Lodge so much and that your condo met all your needs. I'm sorry we are unable to accommodate pets. Thank you for understanding. We'll look forward to your next visit. Please let me know if we can be of further service for your next trip.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We enjoyed staying at Black Bear Lodge. The room was very spacious and cozy. The lodge is located right next to waterville valley town square. They offer a discount on lift tickets with an option to also use the sports complex. Perfect for a quiet calm weekend away.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CoastieSKKass
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Heather,
I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Black Bear Lodge. It sounds like you were able to get out and enjoy many of the services in Waterville Valley. I hope you are able to come visit us again soon. Please don't hesitate to let us know how we can be of further service to you in the coming future.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

For over 12 years I have been bringing my Special Needs groups to the Black Bear Lodge . I run the Alternative Leisure Company/ ALC/TRIPS out of the Bedford, Massachusetts area. I praise the staff at Black Bear- Charley, Stephanie, Chris, and the Housekeeping staff for always welcoming my groups with open arms, a hearty welcome, and enjoy having us. Because of them my members want to keep on returning. Black Bear and the staff a Black Bear are the best in the world!!!! Drew C. Bililies-President/CEO

Room Tip: Try to request Unit 217.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank drewBedford_Ma_

Drew,
Thank you very much for your feedback. We love your groups and look forward to their arrival every time. It is everyone's goal to make our guests feel at home. I'm glad to hear their efforts are felt. Please let us know how we can be of further service.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I haven't been to Black Bear Lodge in over 6 years however I wanted to plan a three day trip out of the city. The Lodge has done a fantastic job keeping all ammenities up to date. The room that we stayed in was very cozy and clean!! We stayed from Sunday-Tuesday for an early Ski trip at the end of November, there were only a couple trails open but we basically had the mountain all to ourselves. We had a great time and are looking to book again within the next month!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CCAASS
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for returning to the Black Bear Lodge for your escape from the city. The team has been working very hard to provide guests with an updated, cozy and clean environment. It's great to know it shows. The mountain is a great place to find your own space. I'm glad you found yours. We are thrilled that you'll be coming back to join us soon. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to serve you for your next visit.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was our first visit to Black Bear Lodge. We usually stay at another lodge in waterville. We loved how friendly the people were. We also loved how clean and comfortable the rooms were. The kitchen was updated and the furniture was right up our alley. My wife and I both love the rustic feel of the lodge. We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gary O
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Gary,
The staff and I enjoyed meeting you and your wife during you last visit. I'm glad to hear you had such a great experience in Waterville Valley and that the Black Bear Lodge met your accommodation needs. We'll eagerly await your return. Please let us know if you need anything for your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville Valley
The Village Of Loon Mountain
Golden Eagle Lodge
Golden Eagle Lodge
#1 of 5 in Waterville Valley

Been to Black Bear Lodge? Share your experiences!