“Nothing fancy, but a nice, clean place to stay.”
Review of Black Bear Lodge

Black Bear Lodge
“Nothing fancy, but a nice, clean place to stay.”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My two boys and I stayed two nights while up with other families from our youth hockey team attending a tournament.

The Black Bear was clean, if a bit worn. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It is well-located and just a short walk from the Town Square where there are many restaurants, shops and services. Our room was pleasant, in a rustic sort of way. Had we stayed longer, we would have more fully utilized the kitchenette.

I did feel that the prices were on the high side for the level of property, but, hey, it is ski season.

Overall, The Black Bear was perfect for our purposes on this trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room/suite on the 6th floor overlooking the mountain. You'll get the nice view, while...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CoachBrez
LForbes, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
I'm glad you had an enjoyable time at the Black Bear Lodge and our staff was helpful and friendly. We pride ourselves on good customer service and I'm happy that we hit that mark.
We are also making strides in the upgrades and renovations in the lodge as a whole and the individual guest rooms. Come back and visit us again and I'm sure you will see more improvements. Thank you for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Peabody, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 13, 2011

My family & I stayed for one night here & had a very mixed experience.

The Pros:

-The friendliest front desk staff I have ever encountered. Extremely kind & accommodating.

-Free Wi-Fi

-Location on the resort is pretty central.

-The view from the room.

The Cons:

- The units are owned by someone else & as such have never had a complete makeover like a traditional hotel would have. Our unit was OK, dated but recently painted to be presentable. We did run out of hot water for the bat for my kids as well as my Wife's shower (the next day).

-My card was completely charged when I made the reservation. I never saw this mentioned on the website. I called & was told that if I made my reservation by phone I would have been told this.

-Email confirmation of stay was extremely delayed, as opposed to the typical 30 sec. or less it takes everywhere else to send you one.

-Overall dated feel to the property (though it is in nice shape so it's like a museum to the late '70s/early '80s)

It wasn't a terrible stay, but I think I'll probably try somewhere else before staying here again.

Room Tip: Room in the back facing the mountain.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank DanS66
LForbes, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Thank you for your candor regarding your stay at the Black Bear Lodge. We always strive for excellent customer service and see that we at least achieved that aspect of your stay.
You are absolutely correct that our units are individually owed. While we have made great strides in encouraging our owners to upgrade, we still have a few units that fall short on expectations.
I would appreciate it if you could let me know which unit you stayed in so that I may meet with the individual owner to discuss further upgrades.
Again, thank you for your candor, it always helps to have constructive criticism.
Sincerley,
Lisa C. Forbes
West Virginia
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed at this location for two nights in early October. The outside of the building and the lobby look very nice. The room I stayed in was a condo that the owners leased out to a management company. If you recall a 1980's store called "This End Up" you will immediately recognize the furniture ... dated and dirty. The beds were absolutely horrible... the blankets had cigarette burns in them.. the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling and the tub was dirty. Housekeeping visited the the second day - cleaned nothing - emptied trash and brought fresh towels. I would definitely not recommend this location. We ate at the Coyotte Grill - also on property - the food and service were about as bad as the room in which we stayed.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank WVguy
LForbes, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
I am sorry for your unfortunate experience. All of our units are individually owned and we are working with each of them to upgrade their units. If you wouldn't mind, could you let me know what unit number you stayed in so that I can get in touch with that owner regarding the issues you experienced.
I would also like the opportunity to send you a gift certificate to try us again in the future. If you want, please contact me directly at info@blackbearlodgenh.com.
Again, my apologies. I do wish you had a better experience with us. -Lisa
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed for a weekend in July and coming back again in August! Family had a great time. Lots of outdoor activities nearby, very convenient location, very relaxing and a lot of fun. Room was spacious, clean and quiet. Staff was courteous. Planning to and would stay again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We absolutely loved the suite we were in. Clearly the owners were just "letting us stay as a guest" . We peeked in other suites during housecleaning times and were convinced that the suite we were in was the best one there. The kitchen had everything that we needed and the couches were so comfortable.

This is an older property, and I do feel that the hallways and common areas could use some updating. Additionally the pools at the lodge were quite small.

We were there for summer activities and the summer pass allowed us to do all that. We were able to use the pool(indoor and outdoor) at the Waterville Valley Athletic Club. Take the lift to the top of Snowy Mountain and ride bikes.

The goal was to spend time with my daughter away from home and our hetic lives and we accomplished, just that. We spent time together on our own time. And enjoyed the beautiful mountains of NH.

The only downfall was that the bed was a little uncomfortable for me.

The front desk service, just seemed like a college kid waiting to get out of work.I asked her a couple of questions, and she didn't really know the answer. The owners of the suite we were in provided a note with the details that we needed though.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pb201146172
NYC
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We simply can't consider another summer vacation spot - our kids won't allow it! Over the past 16 years, we strayed twice to lovely locations, but our kids made it clear - no more summer vacations anywhere but the Black Bear Lodge. As they've grown, we've moved up to larger accomodations but even the smallest suites will easily fit a family with 3 kids like ours (when they're little). Warm & inviting, friendly & helpful staff and the wonders of Summer in Waterville Valley, NH. Things to do all over the area and plenty of down time for all of us. Great family lodge - not fancy but homey. You get a living room, a kitchen/dining area and beds enough for all.

Room Tip: Suites are individually owned, so if you don't like the room you get - ask at the desk if there...
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BusyMomNYC
s.forida
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed at the Black Bear Lodge. The rooms were very clean but really need to be redone furniture wise. The bed was comfortable but had plastic coverings which made them hot. The resort itself has evrything you could want but is very pricey to purchase items such as laundry soap and food. If you are heading that way for a ski week bring supplies.
The recreation center was awesome. the pool beautiful. The pool at the Lodge was tolerable at best. very old..
so I will go back there for a confernece but would be dissappointed if I was spending a week expecting a posh resort..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Village Of Loon Mountain
Village Of Loon Mountain
#10 of 20 in Lincoln

Been to Black Bear Lodge? Share your experiences!