“It's even fun in the rain!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warren
Moose Hillock Campground
“It's even fun in the rain!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We are repeat customers, but have never been caught in a rainy weekend here until now ...it snowed Sat/Sun! The staff remained upbeat, the activities were fun, and everyone who braved the Memorial Day weekend weather got a complimentary late checkout. Nice!

• Stayed May 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at Moose Hillock on 3 different occasions during the summer of 2012 - in late June, late July, and Labor Day Weekend (with another family)

Ist Trip - CABIN SUITE:
One word - awesome! Lovely, and just rustic enough for someone like me to get excited about the camping experience. Heat and A/C, and full bath (though the shower stall is pretty tiny). Full size fridge inside the cabin, cooktop and microwave on the covered porch. Also a stationary charcoal grill a few feet off the porch. And of course, the firepit - the firepits at this place are amazing, all natural stone - just gorgeous. Plenty of privacy between neighboring sites, thanks to little man-made mesas between each cabin site.

2nd & 3rd trips - CAMPSIGHTS
Both times, I requested sites as far from the pool as possible, because there is always music playing at the pool and while it's enjoyable, I don't want to hear it all day long. Both times we were very pleased with our site - very spacious and adequate distance between neighboring sites. Sites were 'flat enough', but we struggled quite a bit with backing into our sites because the roads are fairly windy and more often than not, you're heading up or coming down an incline and we had just purchased our pop-up, so we are fairly unskilled. And I have to say it again...those firepits...just amazing! I brought a grate to put over it for cooking, as there are no grills on the campsites.

BATHROOMS/SHOWERS:
My only complaint. They are probably clean, but are old, so they don't ever look or smell clean. I never noticed 'filth', and there was always adequate paper, soap, and water pressure. But I would NEVER be able to camp for more than 3 days with these bathrooms - I felt dirtier AFTER a shower than I did before.

POOL/CAFE/STORE
My kids love the pool - they are both under 10. I think once kids start flirting with the teen years, they won't be terribly jazzed. There are no lifeguards, so it's swim at your own risk. Sometimes kids can get out of control, because the adult who is supposed to be supervising is snoozing on a lounge chair, but said adult perks up pretty quick when you start loudly saying "HEY, KID IN THE YELLOW AND RED BATHING SUIT - DON'T YOU HAVE ANY MANNERS?!?!?!"

The cafe service is consistently terrible and food is consistently mediocre. We've never waited less than 30 minutes for anything. The last time, we waiting almost an hour for fried dough, which was cold when finally served. We no longer buy things from the cafe.

The store is well stocked and generally overpriced (as any gift shop anywhere in America will be). Wood bundles are also, overpriced and the wood is cut fairly thin, so expect to spend a lot of money on wood if you enjoy a decent fire. Tedeschi's market, about 5-7 minutes from the campground, by car, is basically a scaled down supermarket - and worth the drive.

Finally, I've seen a lot of mention of the 'religious' slant. I'm someone who is VERY put-off by religiously aggressive people. I found it odd to have a pamphlet handed to me at check-in the first time, but thought nothing of it as it didn't come up again. We did receive the same pamphlet each successive visit, so I guess it's just part of their welcome paperwork. I also noticed a couple of religious references in the 'history of Moose Hillock' displays on the wall of the rec hall, but nothing overt or preachy.

Overall, we find Moose Hillock to be thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing. It is a family campground, so if you are looking to sit around your fire until midnight or later, chatting and laughing, then yes, you'll be shushed by security. And people like me, with two young kids who are wiped out and sleeping within earshot of your campsight, will be thankful. If you are the former, you should probably look elsewhere for your camping needs.

We plan to return to Moose Hillock for many years to come.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Michelle N
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We usually stay at Provicinial/State Parks because we love the natural feel they offer. However, they generally lack pools and high end amentities. Moose Hillock on the other hand, has the best campground pool I've ever seen, cable, sewer, etc. dropped right into a gorgeous natural setting. So I guess I'd say best of both worlds

1 Thank jason1975
Boston
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have been seasonals for two years now at Moosehillock and we love it! Our two families are four adults and three kids, ages five and four(s). The kids absolutely love the pirate ship pool and the real pirate who visits the pool. The sites are big, spaced apart and offers nice privacy. Our neighborhood loop is fantastic. The campground is hilly, so it does entail a good walking workout depending on where your site is. My favorite spot is the nature trail, walking along the river with small falls and pools for the dog to play in is so serene. There are other nice walking trails going off the back of the campground as well. The campground is well maintained, even after big storms and the bathrooms are extremely clean. The pool bathrooms are comparable to an upscale hotel. I highly recommend Moosehillock its one of a kind in the NH area!

Room Tip: Sites to left of pool area are less hilly but offers a little less privacy.
1 Thank traylo
USA
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This has to be the best and fun place for family camping. If you have children of all ages, this is the place to go. There are always activities for all ages, including adults.

From the moment you drive in this place is organized and impressive. Once you enter the park the Pirate Ship Pool just gets everyone excited!

The campground is huge and almost every site is large and private. We stayed in a 5th wheel and had no problems getting in and out of our site. The fire pits are big and made with rocks. Bring a grill to put over if you are cooking on the fire.

They have a wonderful store that has everything that you need and more. The bath houses are clean and serviced several times a day.

You are close to many attractions that NH has to offer - another bonus about staying here.

You will become a regular at this place for a very long time.

The only Negative thing is if you are pulling a large trailer or 5th wheel - be prepared for the road to the campground. It doesn't look that steep but oh my it is!! Made for an interesting drive in and lots of laughs.

Make sure you book all your dates early as this park fills up quickly but you can always find a site or two at the last minute.

1 Thank AmeribritUSUK
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We now camp here every Memorial Day weekend, to start off the camping season. We take sites that connect through the woods...a cabin (for one sister) and two trailers. It is clean, quiet at night, and very family oriented. The pool is a plus and a great source of entertainment for the children. Candybar bingo is a huge hit, as well as magic shows and other entertainment. The campsites are very spacious and the firepits are actually made of stone and very well situated for evening gatherings. I have nothing bad to say about Moose Hillock other than...if you got a rainy week, you are pretty far from other attractions/things to do; that might be a consideration.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank imbigd13
Middleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We just got back from our visit with Bruce the Moose and we LOVED it. I have read all the negative reviews for this campground and I have to say my experience was all together different. I mean really...you are going to write a negative review because you had bad weather?? How is that the campgrounds fault?? You are going to complain because quiet time starts at 10 pm and they actually enforce that...if you want to party all night go to a bar, this is a FAMILY CAMPGROUND... you know with people with young kids!!! We camped with kids ranging in age from 9 months old to 8 years old. There is lots to do for the kids...The pool is EXCELLENT!! they had a interactive show with Bruce the Moose and Candy Bar Bingo and a great Ice cream social...there is a good size playground and nature trails. Polar Caves and Clarks Trading Post are 30 min. away...There are many other attractions in the area too. You do need to have a car however as you are in the mountains and the camp store does have limited supplies. The owner is a very nice man and his wife is nice too!! My only suggestions for change would be...a little more supervision in the pool area during the busy times and that the activities be printed out and handed to you when you arrive so you know when and where they are going to take place...other than that I would not change a thing!! We are going back I can promise you that!!

2 Thank mamabug67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lincoln East - White Mountains
#7 of 20 in Lincoln
Jack O'Lantern Resort
Jack O'Lantern Resort
#3 of 3 in Woodstock

Been to Moose Hillock Campground? Share your experiences!