“A Phone Museum...Really!”

New Hampshire Telephone Museum
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Warner
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The New Hampshire Telephone Museum houses a tangible history of telecommunications which can be viewed via guided or self-guided tours. Our knowledgeable staff provides engaging commentary highlighting important moments in telephone history, such as the race to the patent office, the undertaker who invented the dial system, and much more. Our enthusiastic staff and our collection of over 1000 artifacts, have made the New Hampshire Telephone Museum one of the must-see attractions in the state, as well as an important educational resource. Stop by and see why people say “WOW!” when they walk through the door!
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I must say I entered with apprehension...I mean what is there to learn or see about phones! You use them to call! Well let me tell you there is a lot to learn and see about phones. What a nostalgic fun way to see how history has passed right in front of you. Laughter at the thought of getting the first "princess" phone...or not having to listen for the "other party on the line"...and kids have such a delight in realizing that you actually had to stand in one place and talk. Fun for the whole family and in a charming town in wonderful New Hampshire.

1  Thank Hallie46
There are newer reviews for New Hampshire Telephone Museum

Reviewed May 8, 2014

How often does one tour a museum and see signs that say Please DO Touch! The New Hampshire Telephone Museum has several displays that offer this opportunity. (Of course there are other displays featuring fragile items which ask one not to touch).
The staff welcomed our group, and gave a brief over view of the museum, how it was started, what to look for, etc. We were then free to explore on our own. The displays had clear explanations, so that one could tour independently. I had several retired telephone employees with me, and they were thrilled to see equipment that they use to use on a daily basis. The museum inspired many fond memories. As a non telephone employee, I also found plenty of interest to see at this museum.
The museum is handicap accessible.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank Jill R
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a great museum. So much to look at, so much history. Staff are knowledgeable and make the tour very interesting. Fun for current and retired telephone workers (several in our family!) and for anyone who has used a phone! I highly recommend this museum.

NHTM05, Manager at New Hampshire Telephone Museum, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thanks for your review!! We are glad you enjoyed your visit!!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

While in the Warner NH area be sure to stop at the New Hampshire Telephone Museum! As you would expect from the name, there are items from all aspects of telephony covering the period back to its invention. The telephones from different eras help you understand both how the technology has changed as well as how our use of the phone has changed. Plus you will see several examples of early telephone switchboards from back in the "number please" era of the telephone. One section is devoted to tools used by telephone linemen and another to testing equipment.

Plus, there is also an exhibit about the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) presence in Warner back in the 1930s and an exhibit about the USS Kearsarge, a US Navy ship, in its many incarnations.

(As a disclaimer, the Museum was started with my Dad's collection and is headed up by my brother.)

1  Thank David V
Reviewed December 16, 2013

To be honest I wasn't expecting much, but my wife wanted to go. When we arrived we found out they were closed that day, but they graciously opened up and gave us the tour. They walked us through the years showing the development of phones over time - an eye opener. The collection is comprehensive and not just limited to phones. By the end of the visit I was duly impressed and considered it one of the best stops of our trip. "Thanks honey, great idea!"

Just across the street is a wonderful public library built in 1892 - also worth a visit.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction