“Incredible beautiful and varied!”

Distant Hill Gardens
Ranked #5 of 12 things to do in Walpole
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed July 17, 2016

I had seen pictures of the gardens and wanted to see for myself. The owners Michael and Kate have created a natural preserve with a incredible variety of habitats from bogs to gardens, to ponds and woods. There is a trail system to explore and terrific opportunities to take pictures. The hosts are knowledgeable and helpful to assist in your visit. With a variety of trails, Distant Hills would be great for a family with young children or hearty hikers looking to explore the diversity of western NH. Highly recommend this as a destination to visit!

1  Thank responsibletravel
"mushrooms"
"trail"
"beauty"

Reviewed July 8, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I heard of the place and drove over to find it. Trip to Walpole is quaint. Lovely private home and ground. Michael has done a great job making a stroll informative and inviting. Many areas to explore. Woods and fields and all plants labeled and well maintained. A great learning place for kids.

1  Thank Bruce B
Reviewed July 5, 2016

What a place. The short 2 hours we had there were not enough. The pieces of artwork throughout the gardens are cute, inspired, eclectic and based on materials found. The pond is serene and calming and best enjoyed in the lobster chair. The owners are great about explaining things all around AND so willing to share that they have educational tours for children, adults and schools. They bring in experts to talk as well. The hikes are easy and beautifully planned. A bit more signage to clarify where and what things are without scientific detail would be nice but I think they are working on that. Can't wait to go back to see the rest.

1  Thank Cherie1971695
Reviewed July 4, 2016

What an amazing place - how I wish I lived closer so I could see every spot in the gardens and enjoy each one for long enough to enjoy fully. Owners are enthusiastic about sharing their work and enjoyment of the gardens they have lovingly cultivated and now share. You have to visit on one of monthly open weekends and allow lots of time to chat with the owners and just enjoy the peace and beauty of the place.

1  Thank Julie T
See more reviews
Reviewed July 3, 2016

Goldilock's choice! No small task finding the fine line where beautiful landscape design respects its surrounding embrace by the New Hampshire woods but they did find it. The elegance of well tended gardens, without the subjugating stuffiness of heavy handed formality. Whimsical sculpture and granite outcrops. Variety, without the dot-dot-dot of a botanical specimen feel. Gracious and hospitable, the vistas throughout have seating for you to linger and enjoy. There were 10 cars in the parking lot, yet we only run into one other group for a few minutes in our wanderings. It takes decades to evolve something this beautiful and I'm grateful they share it with the public. It is a place where your soul can take a deep refreshing breath, watching the sun and wind play musically on the tips of a large swatch of ferns. And after spending half a day there, I do in fact feel refreshed at a deeper level.
ps - I did bring a bear with me, and he says he enjoyed it also. His favorite, the log crossing in the rustic cranberry bog. No surprise there eh? ;)
pps - use the March Hill address in your GPS, suggested donation for entrance, $5.

1  Thank AmeliaAirheadOnTheRd
Management response:Responded August 7, 2017

I'm sorry for the year-long delay in responding to your excellent and thoughtful review of Distant Hill Gardens. I did not know how to negotiate the Trip Advisor website at the time. Better late than never! Thank you so much for spending the time to write the review and I hope you get to visit again someday. BTW - We now offer visits by appointment if you can't make it on an Open Garden weekend. Check our distanthill.org website for specifics.