“B&B Atmosphere at a Motel Price”
Review of Carlson's Lodge

Carlson's Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Twin Mountain
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a family built and operated inn where you get lots of personal attention. The proprietress welcomed us and walked us to our rooms. She was quick to answer any questions and provided directions and advice to help make our stay more enjoyable. The motel is not new, but it is impeccably kept. It is a great value.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is what we think about Carlson's. In October, 1983 my wife and I honeymooned there. (We lived in the NY area at the time.) From that point on, a foliage season visit there became an annual event for us. We also visited a few times in the summer. Now, even though we live in Las Vegas (a bit more distant), we will be spending the night of October 6, 2013 at Carlson's, to celebrate our 30th anniversary!

There is absolutely everything right, and nothing at all wrong, with this lodge. The only thing we will miss this trip is the presence of Carl and Ruth Carlson, our original hosts, who have passed away. But Carol, who has been working there since back in the day, is simply wonderful.

I cannot recommend a place more highly!!

Room Tip: Try for a deluxe corner room, in the 200 wing.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at Carlson's lodge several times throughout several years. The location is great, whether you are there for skiing or snowmobiling! You can snowmobile right from the lodge to the base of Mt Washington at the Cog Railway. Have enjoyed many stays, enjoying the warm atmosphere!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Carlson’s Lodge fills a welcome lodging niche in the NH White Mtns. It is a very affordable traditional lodge with gorgeous location and views, high standard bedroom and bath furniture and fixtures, cozy public area and very helpful owner managers. It’s a bit like being well cared for with the informality of home. This style of accommodation isn’t easy to find. Area lodging tends to be motel style (outside room access) or rustic cottage; or alternatively, ‘Martha Stewart’ style B&B inns at twice the price. Carlson’s isn’t loaded with ‘frills’, but it has cozy public areas with wood stove and upright piano (ping pong and pool tables in the basement) providing interior room access and classic lodge comfort (especially welcome in winter) with exterior summer verandas - but it price competes with less appealing ‘bare bones’ motor lodges. I stayed with a teen son for skiing. Half dozen historic ski areas are within an hour’s drive (Bretton Woods 5 minutes away; Cannon maybe 20 minutes); hiking and back country activity abounds. When a ski injury laid me up, the lodge owner/manager Carol Carlson really stepped up ‘above and beyond’ with offers to drive to hospital/clinic, ice packs, and well informed insight into the injury (Carlsons have deep roots in management of Cannon Mountain’s ski school). This sort of ‘value added’ and extra willingness to help makes any place standout. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and was fortunate to have selected Carlsons for a north-country winter ski stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

cute and quaint lodge in twin mountain. the decor is rustic but the rooms are clean. the walls are very thin so if you had noisy neighbors that might affect your enjoyment but we did not have a problem. the complimentary breakfast was basic but for the best priced hotel in the area i'm not complaining! convenient location to many of the hiking trails off of 3/302. friendly staff and friendly fellow patrons. would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I spent 1 night here on October 16, 2012. It is so nice, very homey!!

You are greeted when you enter the Lodge by the lodge cat & lodge dog. I LOVED it!! Felt right at home, Samantha the dog was there to say HI and wagging her tail. The cat (I never got her name) was happy too, she loved my suitcase! The lobby/foyer looks like your living room at home, complete with a fireplace.

The rooms are spotless, comfy beds, nice tv and a pretty big bathroom. Wish we had more than 1 night there, maybe next time.
I will be back, I fell in love with New Hampshire & the Carlson Lodge.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was totally thrilled with my experience at Carlson's Lodge. The owners were very polite and helpful. Our room was just perfect....it had it's own little kitchenette which was just right for my mom and I. And everything was just as clean as it could be. I would definitely go back in the future!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods

Been to Carlson's Lodge? Share your experiences!