“Family get-together” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Econolodge Inn & Suites

You added Econolodge Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Econolodge Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   650 Laconia Rd, Tilton, NH 03276 (Formerly Shalimar Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Tilton
Wakefield, Massachusetts
“Family get-together”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Had a family get-together weekend at Shalimar Resort. It was a good place to be able to hang around, drink, utilize the pool and game room. At night we headed to Funspot; awesome times! Free waffles in the morning! (yummy) For a cheap weekend getaway with family, I would definitely go again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

I was a pool member at this hotel three years ago, popped on to see the bad reviews I knew would be here. Appalling to see managers reply to guests in such a rude manner, saying that they're lying? I used 1/3 of my year membership because of a continually cold , cloudy , disgusting pool.

I wanted this pool to be nice , SO BAD! It's right on my way home, a great place to exercise after work. The hot tub is lukewarm at best. Most big the time it was slimy on the bottom. The foam would be crazy , specks of black on the top.

The pool has tons of beetles in it. It almost looks like they open the skylights but there's no screen. I couldn't believe it , but my wife and I both saw it. The bottom is covered with crap, again slimy. Good luck seeing the bottom. Most days it was cloudy, and if by chance you got a bit in your mouth, you can taste skin/sweat. It made me gag on a few occasions.

My wife would go and complain. She would be told that the guy comes in on Sunday to clean it. The front desk clerks were usually apologetic. There's this one, however, that would be extremely put off by anyone mentioning it. Didn't see her often, and to be honest it sounds like the woman described below by another guest.

We started going on Monday only , since it was supposedly clean on Sunday. I think in the summer it's even less. We were told at least twice that the pool was not cleaned because the maintenance man's father passed away. Months apart, they can't even think to come up with a different excuse.

The final straw was the day that I wouldn't even get in the pool due to the cloudiness and "something" floating. I didn't check , but it was either a melted snickers bar ball or someone's feces.

I asked to be allowed to use their private beach to swim. I was politely told that would not be possible.

Want to hear the topper? I read about NH possibly reducing their pool regulations, and quoted is none other than this owner. They're talking about the importance of clean pools. I almost threw my computer against a wall.

Do not use their "Olympic size" pool. You will get a rash. I got one all over my body. I even went back! Like I said , I really really wanted this place to be clean and worth it. It was not.

I'm tempted to dig up the photos I took. I feel my story is honest enough that I don't need to do do. If I get some snarky defense as I've seen below, I will post those photos.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Shirephotography

Travelers are raving about these Tilton hotels

Gloucester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was the first time that my husband and I have been to the Shalimar Resort. I got a call from my friend and said that they booked a room for Saturday night..that there was one more room with a Queen size bed...so without even looking into the hotel I called and reserved the room...it was one night and it was to just getaway with friends...Usually I don't do that I usually check out the hotel and read the reviews first but I didn't this time. The price was perfect not expensive at all. Our room was overlooking the pool area. The place is an older motel but overall it was not a bad experience at all. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were not bad at all. The bed was surprisingly very comfortable and the bedding gave the room a nice updated look. The biggest thing that I liked was the fact that every room had a refridge. The only drawback was that the Lobster House was closed for renovations so we didn't get to check the restaurant. We will have to go back to try it out when it is open. Yes we will go back...I didn't have a bad experience at all...it was very nice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sheila B
shalimarresort, Manager at Econolodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Your review was very kind, thank you so much. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and found our facilities and staff pleasant and accommodating. We hope that you will come back and join us again soon. Again, thank you for your review.
Hull, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

It seems that the pride that ownership/management once had in running this place has morphed into a degree of subtle arrogance that is mostly undeserved. Lipstick on a pig, polishing a turd, either expression applies as the once mighty Shalimar crumbles into the memory of places I used to like to stay. Yes you are greeted politely and there are some nice updates to the rooms, but over the last three times we have stayed the "HEATED" pool has gotten progressively colder and most recently the water seemed to have some clarity issue as well. As the seven year old girl in our party developed a rash as has happened to other writers I would guess the chemical treatment is overdone. The intake valves in the pool were bringing in ice cold water as if it were runoff from the snow in the parking lot. So after the kids' lips were blue from being in the pool a quick dip in the hot tub to stop the shivering was cut short by a nasty guest that ran down to the lobby to get staff to remind us that per NH state law kids under 16 are not allowed in the hot tub. Well, they were freezing, the air temperature in the pool area was not conducive to warming up and the air in the hallways is even colder, so you know what? Arrest us! We knew prior to the visit that the restaurant was closed for renovations which allowed us to check out other places to eat in Tilton which we cannot do when you take the stay and dine package Shalimar offers, which is a great value. It is also unfortunate because I feel going forward that the restaurant may be the only thing they have that will carry the property. However with recent experience being what it is it is unlikely we will consider staying there again unless management takes the time to read these reviews and maybe consider closing the pool area down to update and renovate it as well. I am afraid they feel as long as it is there people will come but eventually the more people come the more will stay away. The lets hook them bring them in then never see them again mentality does not work in the hospitality business..I feel bad, I used to recommend Shalimar to everyone I know, but things being what they are I cannot do it anymore

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank g-man41559
Webster
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I want to start by saying I have experience as a General Manager of a hotel, On arrival we were welcomed very pleasantly. The upgrades in the room are minimal but are nice. The bed covers look nice and add a very nice touch. However the pool and hot tub area is very dirty and the skylight was leaking dirty water into the pool. After my son swam in the pool he developed a rash covering almost his entire body, very red and painful.( I want to mention we stayed at a hotel the weekend before and my son swam the entire weekend with no issues) I brought this to the desk clerks attention and after telling me she had no idea what chemicals were in the pool. She told me I would have to speak to the management in the morning. The head housekeeper was the nicest person to help us out and was very willing to try to make things what they should be.
When morning came I approached management with pictures of the pool and the hot tub and my son. I explained my concerns which she acted as though she didn't care about. She never apologized until I brought it to her attention and said she knew I was upset and didn't feel we should continue the conversation. I explained to her that we were here to visit my dad and that he had passed unexpectedly and that we booked this hotel so that the kids would have something to do. it turns out my thoughts of helping the community businesses has been destroyed after this experience .A family member approached her with my concerns as she had come to watch my children as I went to make arrangements for my dads funeral. She also had a rash from the pool. She was very rude to her and insensitive to my situation. Dealing with my three year old crying in pain and burning from the chemicals. As I told the manager that I was going to leave and just wanted a refund for the night I wasn't going to stay she said she would not return my money for that night. She threatened to call the police on me and basically threw me out and told me I had upset her staff. I never once raised my voice or used profanity, I simply was expressing my concerns for my children's welfare and safety. I also asked her for the owners information and she replied they were not there that she has been running that hotel all by herself with no help and she had been doing it for five years.
In all the many times I dealt with guests I have never been treated so poorly. I have been going to the Shalimar all of my life for 35 years by myself and with family. I have recommended people there and have continued my loyalty and whether I get anything back as long as this manager continues to run this business I will NEVER return. The experience of losing a parent is hard enough I don't care to hear the excuses of a manager who can't run a desk and help her guest without telling them how hard it is.... I am sad to say but this was the worst hotel experience by far and I work on the road and stay in hotels at least once a month.

( I want to note that they are suppose to be checking the ph twice a day and I did not see this once and we were located near the pool and actually had our door open quite a bit.)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Krystal M
shalimarresort, Owner at Econolodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
As the Owner of The Shalimar Resort I would first like to express my sympathy for your recent loss. We wish you and your family our thoughts and prayers during this time of unexpected grief.
When we heard of your unfortunate stay we wanted to respond as quickly as we could. First and foremost; the Shalimar Resort is in its 31st year of operation under the same family ownership and our records indicate this is your first stay with us. On the day your son experienced a rash our swim log indicates the swim load was especially busy that day. We had a pool party of 12 swimmers and an additional 36 guests and did not have any complaints or issues on that particular day. In addition the pool chemistry is checked three times a day per NH law and the results that day were normal. We do not condone rude or uncivil behavior towards our staff and under the circumstances we feel your behavior was inappropriate. Although we strive to satisfy each and every customer sometimes we cannot please everyone especially when a guest becomes verbally abusive. We regret that your stay was unsatisfactory.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Super value, extremely friendly service and the resort is even family friendly. Rooms are big and nicely furnished. Beds super comfy. The Lobster House food is divine and if you stay at the resort you'll get a two for one coupon for dinner AND brunch on Sunday morning if you stay over on Saturday. The brunch is impressive too! :) We really liked it here and will definitely return.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bonnie H
shalimarresort, Manager at Econolodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
So glad you had a wonderful stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
lowell, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We decided to take our boys away last minute to do some swimming, the rooms are exactly what I ecpected for the price, but the heat had no control it was either way too hot or freezing in the room. The pool and pool area are disgusting, there was liquid dripping from an overhead pipe into the pool, the water was so cloudy and the sides and bottom of the pool brown with caked on dirt. There was no smell of typical hotel pool chemicals and we teased that the kids smelled like lake monsters when they got out (i refused to get in that water but couldnt convice the boys it was too gross) we ended up leaving at 8am to avoid the kids asking to go in the pool again.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tilton
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#3 of 12 in Laconia
4.0 of 5 stars 629 reviews

Been to Econolodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!