“Poor Management/poor cleaning of facilities”

Econolodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Tilton
Webster
“Poor Management/poor cleaning of facilities”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I want to start by saying I have experience as a General Manager of a hotel, On arrival we were welcomed very pleasantly. The upgrades in the room are minimal but are nice. The bed covers look nice and add a very nice touch. However the pool and hot tub area is very dirty and the skylight was leaking dirty water into the pool. After my son swam in the pool he developed a rash covering almost his entire body, very red and painful.( I want to mention we stayed at a hotel the weekend before and my son swam the entire weekend with no issues) I brought this to the desk clerks attention and after telling me she had no idea what chemicals were in the pool. She told me I would have to speak to the management in the morning. The head housekeeper was the nicest person to help us out and was very willing to try to make things what they should be.
When morning came I approached management with pictures of the pool and the hot tub and my son. I explained my concerns which she acted as though she didn't care about. She never apologized until I brought it to her attention and said she knew I was upset and didn't feel we should continue the conversation. I explained to her that we were here to visit my dad and that he had passed unexpectedly and that we booked this hotel so that the kids would have something to do. it turns out my thoughts of helping the community businesses has been destroyed after this experience .A family member approached her with my concerns as she had come to watch my children as I went to make arrangements for my dads funeral. She also had a rash from the pool. She was very rude to her and insensitive to my situation. Dealing with my three year old crying in pain and burning from the chemicals. As I told the manager that I was going to leave and just wanted a refund for the night I wasn't going to stay she said she would not return my money for that night. She threatened to call the police on me and basically threw me out and told me I had upset her staff. I never once raised my voice or used profanity, I simply was expressing my concerns for my children's welfare and safety. I also asked her for the owners information and she replied they were not there that she has been running that hotel all by herself with no help and she had been doing it for five years.
In all the many times I dealt with guests I have never been treated so poorly. I have been going to the Shalimar all of my life for 35 years by myself and with family. I have recommended people there and have continued my loyalty and whether I get anything back as long as this manager continues to run this business I will NEVER return. The experience of losing a parent is hard enough I don't care to hear the excuses of a manager who can't run a desk and help her guest without telling them how hard it is.... I am sad to say but this was the worst hotel experience by far and I work on the road and stay in hotels at least once a month.

( I want to note that they are suppose to be checking the ph twice a day and I did not see this once and we were located near the pool and actually had our door open quite a bit.)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Krystal M
shalimarresort, Owner at Econolodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
As the Owner of The Shalimar Resort I would first like to express my sympathy for your recent loss. We wish you and your family our thoughts and prayers during this time of unexpected grief.
When we heard of your unfortunate stay we wanted to respond as quickly as we could. First and foremost; the Shalimar Resort is in its 31st year of operation under the same family ownership and our records indicate this is your first stay with us. On the day your son experienced a rash our swim log indicates the swim load was especially busy that day. We had a pool party of 12 swimmers and an additional 36 guests and did not have any complaints or issues on that particular day. In addition the pool chemistry is checked three times a day per NH law and the results that day were normal. We do not condone rude or uncivil behavior towards our staff and under the circumstances we feel your behavior was inappropriate. Although we strive to satisfy each and every customer sometimes we cannot please everyone especially when a guest becomes verbally abusive. We regret that your stay was unsatisfactory.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Super value, extremely friendly service and the resort is even family friendly. Rooms are big and nicely furnished. Beds super comfy. The Lobster House food is divine and if you stay at the resort you'll get a two for one coupon for dinner AND brunch on Sunday morning if you stay over on Saturday. The brunch is impressive too! :) We really liked it here and will definitely return.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bonnie H
shalimarresort, Manager at Econolodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
So glad you had a wonderful stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
lowell, MA
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We decided to take our boys away last minute to do some swimming, the rooms are exactly what I ecpected for the price, but the heat had no control it was either way too hot or freezing in the room. The pool and pool area are disgusting, there was liquid dripping from an overhead pipe into the pool, the water was so cloudy and the sides and bottom of the pool brown with caked on dirt. There was no smell of typical hotel pool chemicals and we teased that the kids smelled like lake monsters when they got out (i refused to get in that water but couldnt convice the boys it was too gross) we ended up leaving at 8am to avoid the kids asking to go in the pool again.

• Stayed March 2014
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My mom and I are regulars at the shalimar Resort and we've been known to book rooms throughout different times of the year. Winter has got to be our favorite. Awesome staff, relaxing pool and spa and a wonderful little firepit right on the beach. 4 feet of snow didn't stop us from walking down and roasting some marshmellows. Give this quaint, comfortable and amazingly located resort a try! You won't be disappointed. We weren't even checked out yet and we booked another room.

Room Tip: Ask for a late view!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Laconia, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We thought a weekend away would be great. Till we went to the Shalimar. It was so cold in the room we were frozen all night. We ask about heat ,they told us there was too much furniture in the room. It was freezing in the hall way. Trying to take a shower in a cold bath room ,that took forever to get hot. Then when it got hot it was so burning hot there was no in between. The bathroom at the pool was gross. The floor was all slimy with hair all of it. The pool was very dirty. Couldn't even see very cloudy. Leaking from the roof into pool. Nothing for kids to use in the pool. The waffle station didn't look that great. The waffle makers were all rusty looking. The restaurant was terrible for service, it took forever.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Tilton hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Returned to Shalimar Resort for our Ladies Christmas Shopping trip. To our delight the rooms were refurbished with beautiful new duvets & white on white striped cover with matching linens.
After a day long shopping trip @ the Tilton outlets (with coupons from the front desk) we relaxed in the bubbly Jaquizzi & were very cozy under the new duvets.
Dinner @ the Lobster House Restaurant on property was delicious.
Can't wait for our winter get away there just to relax. Love the Shalimar.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank vickiisam
Goffstown, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We spent last night at the Shalimar. The rate was extremely affordable at only $79, especially considering the great location (5 minutes from the Tilton Outlets and within half an hour of many winnepasaukee recreation destinations). The woman at the front desk was very nice and hospitable, however she informed me that I needed to get the pool towels at the front desk when it when we were ready to use the pool, then we would have to bring the towels back to the front desk when we were done, which was kind of inconvenient. We were pleased with the room. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. A nice touch was that we stayed in a room with 2 queen beds and 1 twin bed- not something you see many places. It worked out great for my family of four. We took a quick tour of the hotel before headding to dinner. The game room consisted of a ping pong table, pool table, and checkers. Next, we checked out the pool, the hot tub was pretty big although the amount of chemicals was a little excessive. Our eyes were on fire by the time we left. Also, the "heated" pool was on the chilly side. The decor was pretty drab and dated. They could make a big difference by purchasing some new pool furniture. They do have a pretty impressive little gym and a sauna which was a great touch, as well as a small tanning "booth". Dont expect much from that though, it was like a wooden closet and kind of creepy looking. There also was a cute little gift shop near the lobby. The room inselft included a coffee maker, ironing board, mini fridge, tv, and hair-dryer. There is a small efficiency kitchen that includes a microwave etc.
We decided to have the buffett breakfast this morning before leaving. When you check-in, they give you a buy one/get one free coupon for the buffett. I thought we were only going to have to buy 2 and we would get 2 free, but only one free breakfast is included, fair-enough. The selection was expansive. It included salads, soup, breads, a carving station, an omlett bar, eggs benedict, bacon, eggs, sausage, pancakes, stuffed pork-loin, and different deserts. The food was just "OK" . Not bad, but rather bland. beware of the beverages, refills are NOT free, learned that the hard way! The bill came out to $57 (before the tip). On the receipt, the waitress wrote on it the "suggested tip amount" which I thought was kind of tacky. If we do stay here again, we will definitely eat breakfast elsewhere (I cant speak for the dinner though, since we ate at a restaurant down the street, although it did smell delicious!). All-in-all not a bad place. Great location to stay during the summer months

Room Tip: we had room 127, which was right in the "hub" of everything, the pool, game room, and vend...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tilton
The Landmark Inn
#3 of 13 in Laconia
Steele Hill Resorts
Steele Hill Resorts
#1 of 1 in Sanbornton

Been to Econolodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!