“Non-smoking room stank of cigarettes!”

Econolodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Tilton
Rindge, New Hampshire, United States
“Non-smoking room stank of cigarettes!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I spent October 12 (our 22nd anniversary at the Shalimar "Resort" First of all, the pictures of the rooms on the website are not an accurate representation of all of the rooms. Our room was supposed to be non-smoking. There was a sign on the door and everything BUT when we went in we were assailed with an overwhelming stench of stale cigarette smoke. Our bed did not have a headboard and the room was dingy with water damage evident and not the most clean room I have ever been in. Our room had a lovely view of the parking lot. We went out for our dinner train and on the way back we bought some Fabreeze (the stuff that is supposed to make dumpsters smell good) to try and make the room smell better. I used about 3/4 of the bottle and it made a little bit of a difference. But it didn't matter because the stench returned midway through our sleepless night on the hard uncomfortable mattress. We would have been better off sleeping in our car, but we paid $119.00 for this one very unpleasant night!

Room Tip: Don't accept a non smoking room that smells like smoke
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
New Jersey
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had mixed feelings about staying here having read the previous reviews which for the most part are spot on. Yes, this is an older facility but quite clean and very friendly. The rooms are comfortably sized and remarkably quiet. The bed was a bit too firm for our taste. We enjoyed the opportunity to actually open a window and let in some fresh air. The resort boasts an Olympic size pool. It is actually L-shaped and I suppose the full length is 25 yards. For those who like to swim laps, the distance is more like 15 yards. However, the pool is enclosed and heated and there is a large hot tub. We walked across the road to check out the lake facility. Again rather antiquated with a small beach area. One of the big pluses for us is that the resort is pet friendly so we were able to bring along out 55 lb labradoodle. They do require pets to be crated when left alone in the room. We did not have dinner at the hotel despite having coupons for buy one get one free choosing to explore the surrounding area instead. However, we did try their Sunday morning brunch with a similar coupon that turned out to be quite good. Carving station, omelets, breads, pastries, etc. Definitely would recommend the brunch. So, in summary, we did enjoy our two night stay but probably would not pick this hotel for a long resort vacation.

Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel has an extremely helpful staff at the front desk and in the dining area, an incredibly delicious and varied Sunday brunch, a typical bed, and reasonable rates. I hope that in the future, the bathrooms (1950 vintage) will undergo a complete renovation. The exhaust fan/vent was thick with what looked like months of dust and dirt, although the counter, sink, and tub were scrubbed clean. The exercise area was also clean and had ample gym equipment, but it smelled musty. This location was perfect for our needs, and we walked across the busy road to picnic on a blanket by the lake.

Room Tip: Our friends had rooms upstairs, but we had a first floor room with our car parked directly in front...
Bemont, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I were in the process of finding an apartment rental in the area and needed a place to stay for short term (two days). We stayed at the Shalimar Resort and took advantage of all of the amenities this little place offers. We had a great stay!

The Shalimar Resort (http://www.shalimar-resort.com/)(Toll Free: (800) 742-5462) is in the heart of the Lakes Region, located on Route 3 in Tilton, New Hampshire. It has a restaurant/pub, "Peter's Pub"; large swimming pool and hot tub (although I would have liked to have seen it at the 102-104 temperature range); waterfront beach on Silver Lake, located across the street from the hotel; and we went out on their paddle boat and canoe, which is rent-free to guests who stay there.

We had the twin lobster special the first night (Twin Lobsters for $20...a la...carte every Thursday night), and Lobster casserole the second night. Each time we invited family members to join us and we were all treated like family.

Thank you to all who made our stay such a pleasant experience, and a special Thank You to Carol, who we put her through paces at dinner-time :-)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

I booked the Shalimar through Hotels.com and got a great rate. Was happy to see the meal pkgs they offered if you stay with them. That was a huge savings. The dinner meal was very good. Hubbie had haddock casserole (which I tried) and it was delicious. I had the NY Sirloin which was cooked perfectly. Breakfast was buffet style and was "Buy one, get one FREE" if you stayed at the Shalimar. This consisted of typical selections for a Sunday Brunch. If was pretty good. The waitressing staff was VERY attentive to your needs. This was for the dinner the night before as well.

The room and bathroom we stayed in had recently been renevated/painted and was in very good shape. The bedding was brand new and was tastefully decorated.

The resort owns a beach across the street which you can drive to down a driveway so we took advantage of this and put our Kayaks in the water and explored Lake Winnisquam. This was a nice feature.

The only negative I have to say about the Resort is that there are bathrooms on main floor down past the recreation room that need attention because of a safety problem. The floor in the ladies room was so wet that when I went in there, I almost fell because it was so slippery. The shower stalls were not wet so I don't think they had been used recently but they definitely have a ventilation problem. As a result the tiles on the floor need the grout replaced. With so much going for the great resort, I'd hate to see a law suit slapped on them.

This family run resort has taken the extra effort to make a nice place for getaways. They take the time to attend to all the details that a lot of places do not.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO A FRIEND IN A HEART BEAT!! I hope to visit again next year.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
Reviewed September 21, 2013

What a great experience. I'm from California and came to the New England area for my daughters first field hockey game at the local boarding school and was not sure what to expect. Some of the reviews scared me a little but I thought how bad could it be for my wife and I. I really don't understand the negative reviews because this place was literally FANTASTIC. We had an amazing dinner, which was actually included with our room and was still great despite the fact that it was included, enjoyed the live entertainment in the bar, and were able to enjoy one of the best brunches we've ever had on sunday morning (also included with the room). After staying here for the weekend and having a few meals in the dining room, we realized that it was actually a family run business that has been around for 30 years....very nice family, accomadating to all guests under any circumstance (especially to us because my wife is gluten-free) and the son can pour one hell of a drink in the bar! The rooms were exactly what we expected from the website...simple but very cozy and were siked that the room was clean and fresh...would honestly stay there for weeks if I had to. If you are looking for a nice small resort to spend the weekend in a very beautiful New Hampshire town that features several amenities for guests, as well as many activities and entertainment in the area, then this is the place for you!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Milford, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We went here for our anniversary because 50 years ago we eloped and this was the hotel (was the Winnisquam house) we stayed at. Well I wish we had just kept those memories.
We made a reservation for Thursday and Friday and I asked for an anniversary cake for our anniversary dinner for a surprise to my wife. They charged me 20.00 for the cake which I thought was ok. Well we got to the room Thursday afternoon and spent the first two hours killing bugs. Two mosquitos and about 20 little flying black bugs. Then when people walked upstairs over our head t was like thunder. The mildew smell was really bad and kept us from sleeping most of the night. The Bath towels were at the very most two dollars each and the kind you find in wall mart for 20 for 5.00. We went for the continental breakfast and that started at 7am and at 7:30 with just one other person having waffles besides us the batter ran out. We decided we could not stay there the second night so I went to the front desk and they said they could not refund the second night because it would have to be 24 hour notice. Never mind that we were sick from the mildew smell or tired of killing bugs. I said did they get the cake for tonight and she said not yet but I can’t refund that money. All in all please listen to me and save yourself a disaster.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
1 Thank 1Ron

Travelers are raving about these Tilton hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tilton
The Landmark Inn
Super 8 Tilton/Lake Winnipesaukee
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#3 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Econolodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!