“dont blink...”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Tilton
Manchester, New Hampshire
“dont blink...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

over 30 years ago i started goin to the shalimar with my parents an my special needs brother.in the back of my mind i can still have fond memories of miss mary , the elderly caretaker/owner preparing banana bread for the kitchen... each visit she would stop an hane my brother an i a powdered donut from the breakfast tray
many summers have gone by an life in general has had many changes.. i find myself being the dad an bringin my family now to the shalimar..
miss mary has turned the reins over to her son pter an his wife , she doent pass out donut but rahter whoopie pies as she jumps in to many a friendly conversations with the guest , so you can say she keeps up miss mary legacy..
the resort itself is far from you average holiday innexpress where you are nothin more than a swish of your credit card ..the entire staff will engage you with friendly conversation an truly want you to feel that you cant wait to have another funfilled stay..
the rooms have suttle updates but keep the country cottage atmosphere with each an every room
the indoor pool an hottub are kept in pristine condition with a twist... most resorts require you to purchaes beverages from their establishment .. at the shalimar bring your drink of choice in a solo cup an be respectful to all around you an the savings is well appreciated...
on season the beach is a page from blue lagoon... clean warm water .. racked beaches with enough free canoes an paddle boats for many wide eyes kids as i was in my younger years ..
peters pub makes it a full service resort with the ability to let u hang up your keys an enjoy all it has to offer .. they have kareokie on the weekend an some of the talent is not half bad.... the food itself is worth talkin about .. some packages include coplimnetary dinner an the steaks can compete withany around the area .. they even have 20 twin lobster ,, ya cant beat it ..
durin the off season a family can stay for under 100 dollars so you can post up at the pool an watch the snow flakes ... life is short... dont blink an enjoy all it has to offer

Room Tip: try to get a room over looking the lake
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank joe s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Medford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at the Shalimar resort last week for the 99$ special wich included Kingroom two dinners at their resturant and continental breakfast next day.I have stayed everywhere from sheridans to sh--holes and will have to put this a little past the middle .building outside is dated but my room had recently been updated and was clean . there was a king bed a fridge and a coffe pot in room also a new lcd tv . The atached resturant was good also there were about ten dinners to choose from using the free dinner coupons I had ribeye wife had shrimp scampie both where very good! after a few salads and drinks the bill only came to 19 dollars not bad at all .after dinner went to weirs beach area for fried dough. When we came back was a little bumb that the lounge had closed a 8 but there is a 99 down the road. Over all it was a good time at a great value and I guess thats all you can realy ask for.

2 Thank Tony C
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

After making our reservation I sent an email asking about the coffee pot in the room, wanting to know what kind of filters I should bring with us to make extra coffee, as it has been my experience that you usually get enough for only a couple cups of coffee. I was told they would be more than happy to supply us with extra coffee, so we didn't have to bring any of our own. When we checked in the receptionist made mention that extra coffee had been placed in our room. The housekeeper was in the hall outside our room when we went up, and she also mentioned the extra coffee. I consider that to be excellent customer service! The room was large with 2 very comfy beds that allowed for a good nights sleep. Yes, the sheets could probably be updated, but they were clean. There wasn't anything that wasn't clean. The bathroom was a bit small, but again, very clean. The coupons for dinner were a very nice touch and we ate both nights at the restaurant off the *special menu* that had plenty of options. The chicken parm was excellent, as was the steak. The continetal breakfast was fine, the muffins were delish!

The pool was very nice and clean, the spa looked inviting but we didn't try it out.

I read the reviews after making our reservation, and considered cancelling. I'm glad we didn't. We found everything we needed, and the extra bathroom amenities were a nice touch also. It's true you can't please everyone, and obviously the Shalimar has in some way or another, let down some of their guests. That said, there were plenty of good reviews and I would have to agree with them. 5-star it isn't, but we weren't looking for 5-star. We wanted a clean place to spend a long weekend with a clean pool in case of bad weather and we found it at the Shalimar. We would definately go back again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pjonesfuller
Hull, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

When I called to book the room 2 weeks ago I was told a price of $99 the first 2 night and $79 for the third. The young woman told me that we had to pay the entire amount because it's a holiday weekend. We never had to do it before because we have stayed there in the past on holiday weekends. I asked what the total amount would be and she said $300 and some change. So I said I will have to call back because I didn't have enough now to book. When I called 2 weeks later I was told that the rate was $149 each night?!? How could it change in 2 weeks?!?!? RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jlucrez

Travelers are raving about these Tilton hotels

ri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

we spent 2 nights here recently and at first our impression was that it was a pretty decent place for the money. free dinner the first night and our meals were very good. then it all went down hill from there after the ower accused us of running off without paying our bill. he's rude and never smiles and he's by far the worst bartender i've even encountered (i've bartended before and i'd have never made any tip if i had is attitude!) the little blonde bartender was just as bad if not worse. she kept her back to the customers and never asked if we wanted anything. then told the owner that we didn't leave any money on the bar for our drinks... i pointed down at the bar and there was our money sitting right where we left it for her!! they also let children in the bar at night after 9pm and if i want to party with teenagers i'll go to the local arcade! isn't it against the law that after 9 no kids in a bar?? that wasn't the worst part. i went to use the ironing board and i couldn't get the legs to stay up. finally i figured a way to get them up but couldnt' put it back down again....so i left the board up. now they are charging my credit cad $25 for a new one because THEY claim the legs were all broken! the nerve of these people! maybe their stupid maid tried to get it down just like us and couldn't and maybe SHE broke it!! i'm livid and i would encourage anyone to please look for another more friendly accommodating resort..there's plenty of them there...this place was not worth the free dinner...i paid for it anyway!!! a few more tidbits... the lakeview room did not really show much of the lake since it was across the street and the trees blocked what little of it you could see. the hot tub was absolutley filthy and we could not bring ourselves to go in it. paint all chipped away at the bottom and the water was murky. all the windows around the pool were cloudy and dirty like nobody has ever cleaned them. the place is quite run down.

1 Thank deerme29
Deep River, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We spent 5 nights at the Shalimar Resort in New Hampshire in August, 2012. Went for Soulfest, a 4 days concert held at Gunstock Mtn.

First impression of the room was that it was old. It looked like something from the 50's. They may have painted recently, but they painted over the old nicks and bumps in the walls. The bathroom was no better. The edges of the floor and the corners were gross. The window air conditioner was noisy and took a long time to cool the room. The dark bedspread was hiding what? The underside was very dirty so I hate to imagine what was on the top side.

The employees were very helpful, both the house cleaners and the restaurant staff. My only complaint there was that our room was apparently forgotten to have been cleaned one day. All our dirty towels were on the floor in the bathroom where we left them and the bed was not made. Luckily, even though it was evening, one of the house cleaners was down the hall and she was very accommodating in getting us clean towels.

Since this is ski country in the winter, they have a huge indoor pool and spa tub. Very nice after a hot, sticky day outside.

On the positive side, included with our room were dinner coupons for every night of our stay. Granted, they had a special "house guest" menu, but we found the food on that menu to be very good. We did order twin lobsters off the regular menu so we had to pay for that. It was well worth it. Wednesday is all you can eat pasta...that too, was no charge. It was one of the highlights of our trip. The other was the Sunday brunch. Along with the free dinner coupons, we also got a $10.00 off coupon for two Sunday brunches. There was an omlet station as well as various hot foods: eggs benedict, home fries, scrambled eggs, American chop suey, bacon, sausage. All the usual buffet items as well as various fruits and pastries.

They advertise Wi Fi, but it was very spotty, if not non-existant. Don't count on doing any internet work from there.

I would stay there again if the bedspread had been clean. Silly, maybe, but it was gross.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the building are quieter since one can't hear the traffic from the road. Qu...
1 Thank TomDonna_11
Hull, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Been to Shalimar dozens of times,we have fun every time we go, and everyone else seems to as well. Clean comforatble rooms, comfy bed, (my wife wants to buy the same mattress we slept on last night), mini-fridge and coffe maker in room. This property is well located near shopping and activities and crystal clear Lake Winnisquam and is self contained. Pool, hot tub, gym,spa ,game room restaurant and lounge all under 1 roof. You can stay until you check out and have a great time. The staff is attentive, friendly and has great knowledge of the area. It appears that the 3rd generation of the family has assumed many responsibiliteis in the daily operation of the business. The food is very good and well prepared and the Sunday brunch is a great value.. I would like to see them offer a $10 dollar discount on the main menu instead of a "houseguest menu" part of their meal package but have yet to suggest it yet to management. If they were to do this I would give them an excellent rating instead of very good. We seem to make new friends at the pool on every stay and are looking forward to our next stay at the Shalimar

Room Tip: We like the king size bed room #101 near pool and nice view of the lake
2 Thank g-man41559
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tilton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tilton
Quality Inn Loudon
Quality Inn Loudon
#1 of 1 in Loudon
Super 8 Tilton/Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to Econolodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!