“Will not stay there every again”

Travelodge Tilton/lake Winnisquam
Ranked #3 of 3 Tilton B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Regular customers for the past 4 years/twice a yr. Up grades and renovations every year. Convenient location for us. Nice view of the lake. Rates went up this year. Charged $50 extra per person. Paid $300+ for 4 people per night. This is a 5 star rate whereas this hotel is a 1 or 2 star hotel. Check in was a hassel. Upon arrival on Friday about 7:30 p.m. the mgr was too busy. I was asked to come by in another 2 hours to finalize payment. We stayed 2 nights. Maid service is definitely a zero. Dirty face towel in the shower when we arrived. Never removed by housecleaning. Trash was not emptied. Drawers were dirty. No fridge as conf'd on our reservation. We were told another customer had complained so our fridge was given to them. Next day they brought over a small fridge. Insufficient towels on both days. Had to go to the office. Also ran out of bathroom tissue. Reservations were made 5-6 months ahead of time. Mgr called me on several occasions requesting the number of people we would be in the room. Called again the day prior to our arrival. Very annoying. Never ever had this experience with another hotel. All weekend sensed an air of hostility; certainly not welcoming. We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank momi1450

Reviewed June 6, 2011

Our room was pretty big and had a kitchen in it. We where only stopping through on our trip so didn't really use it. They had a nice view of the lake. The room was a little old and the bathroom needs some repair. But not bad.

Not really near anything walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This hotel is at a beautiful location, the lake is right outside your window and you can sit on the deck and relax...but once you go into your room things change.
We walked in the room and opened the fridge to find a half eaten birthday cake, then got ready for our night out to find a dirty wet towel in the shower along with a repaired hole in the door. the worse part of that night was when we went to lay down and saw that the bed was literally held up by wood! a thin mattress pad on top of a wooden makeshift frame!!!

The guy at the desk was very helpful and breakfast was better than I had expected. but I know now why the hotel was completely empty... people come back to places that made them feel comfortable. If you want your hotel to sell out on summer weekends then try to make the rooms more welcoming and tell your housekeepers to not smoke butts right outside the room at 11am. I know its checkout time but don't make me feel rushed.
this hotel could be a place worth going to, but they need to work on comfort and cleanness.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Check in was fine, very helpful woman at the front desk. Room was clean but the bed was a bit on the lumpy side. Traveling alone so I did not need much space. Was promised a breakfast with coffee in the am. Got up around 8:00 in the am and went to find breakfast. No one in site. Everything was locked up. Realized I was the only one at the hotel. No other cars, no sign of life. Reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode. I found the phone # and called to see what happened. THe owner said he was not aware he had quests. Did offer to come down to the hotel but at that point could not hang around.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Our family stayed at one of the cabins and as soon as we opened the door the cabin reaked of urine. The loft which had two twin beds was left with unclean sheets that where left all oven the place. There was a window that was broken right in the front and was told that the window had been broken for two years (who leaves a broken window and rents out to others without fixing it) all the blind in the cabin where dirty and broken you where lucky if you could get them up to see the view of the lake across the street and even if you did it was threw dirty windows. When I complained about the state of the place telling them that the sofa bed they claim on their add as being (nice and new) is dirty and has stains that look and smell like urine they just looked at me and said that no one else ever complained about it. I wonder who wouldn't complain who do they rent to that would want to sleep on something so dirty they didn give us covers to cover up the chair and sofa. I was so upset that I was on the phone trying to find another place but I couldn't find one everything was booked for that evening and I was stuck there. It took me a whole day of my vacation to clean the place the walls where dirty spider webs everywhere and grease on the wall and who knows what else. I had to clean all the cabinets and drawers the bathroom reaked the rug was never vacumed we went out and bought all types of cleaning products just so we could get threw the week without feeling like we might get sick. It is a shame because the place could have been nice if it was taken care of. The beach across the very busy street was very very small, so if you are going there thinking about enjoying time on a nice beach look else where. The cabins have people who live there full time or I was told rented out to people who have lost homes etc. It seemed to me that it was like they didn't really want outsiders there it was odd and uncomfortable. The coin opt washer and dryer located in the hotel was dirty and I ended up going to a close by laudry matt because the dryer didn't even work .

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank 615aim
Reviewed July 6, 2009

This place is now called 'Rodeway Inn Tilton motel'.

We stayed for couple of nights (including Independence day). First the positives.

* Amazing & Very friendly staff (Uday, manager)- helpful, genial and courteous, went out of the way to be of any help possible
* Excellent rate 65/day - beat every other rate, including their own online rate !
* Limited continental breakfast - yogurt, cereal bar, coffee, fruits & muffins.
* Beautiful view of the Winnisquam lake right from your rooms !

Areas of improvement
* Never got a confirmation email - despite using online facility to re-send itinerary !!
* The room (double-bed) was VERY small. We had very little place to move about, after we had our luggages in the room
* Bathroom had no bath-tub - only stand-in shower. The bathroom was so cramped that, if you sat on the toilet, your face would hit the faucet/wash-basin
* No iron-board/hair-dryer/face tissues/"don't disturb" tags (The manager did give me a hair-dryer on request)
* No inner curtains for windows - either you could be left all dark, or all open for people to see through
* No microwave/fridge despite request
* Breakfast service was non-existent - Had to remind them to get coffee and the breakfast bar (see above for the 'breakfast' menu)
* Asked for a non-smoking room - but got a room that reeked of smoke. Even though the entire motel is "supposed" to be smoke free, almost all the travellers were seen smoking in the corridor including the house keeping staff- the room clearly smelt like someone puffed all-day ( no offense to smokers)
* Noise insulation was bad - could hear traffic on the road.
* they seemed to have some problem with their AC - it ran for 10 minutes, and used to auto-switch-off for 20 minutes, and then come back again - don't have any idea why it would do that for both AC and fan !!
* very old fixtures in the bathroom - the faucet & shower head - felt like it was from the 19th century

Overall, despite the very friendly and helpful manager, the motel needs to improve a lot. It clearly proves that no amount of delightful customer service can fix the underlying bad service offering (motel) !

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for the Nascar races. This was our 3rd time staying here. The rooms were nice and the rate was good. When we asked for extra pillows the brought them right to the room. We will be back next year in 2009. Chris and her staff were very helpful anyway they could be.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tilton
Econolodge Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tilton
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
Super 8 Tilton/Lake Winnipesaukee
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#4 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Travelodge Tilton/lake Winnisquam? Share your experiences!