“Lamp stew was "heavenly"”

Onions Pub and Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 45 Restaurants in Tilton
Cuisines: American, Caribbean
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2012

So glad I made a special drive to find Onions Pub. Although I arrived a bit early for dinner (3:30), the owner said the kitchen was open and invited me in. The bar offered a small variety of beers that I had not tried before; Harpoon UFO Pumpkin ale and Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen (both on tap). So far, we're off to a great start. On the food side I started off with their Bermuda Fish Chowder, a rich and spicy concoction infused with Goslings black rum and Outerbridges Sherry peppers. They offer additional small condiment shakers of these flavorings if you choose to make your soup richer or spicier, although I do claim it stands well on its own. The second course involved a dozen steamed Littleneck clams. Beyond their normal menu was a selection of nightly specials; tonights features were Jambalaya, Lamb stew, and grilled Swordfish steaks. I settled on the lamb stew. Folks, there are rare moments in gastronomy (look it up) when the palate signals the brain that the food you are tasting is especially good. In particular the lamb stew made me feel as if I had gone to heaven. Onions Pub is obviously popular with the locals who assurred me the food here is always this good. The Pub / restaurant is part of the Tilton Inn, which by the way is known for some historical paranormal activity. I am looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

You Betcha!! In Tilton, NH of all places!
Absolutely awesome prime rib! Fabulous deserts too and great service! So good and so close to home. Tilton isn't known for much good but this place is really good!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We visited on August 23, 2012 and were VERY pleased with the experience. The food was absolutely scrumptious and the service could not have been better. Owner/ Manager, Allan Powell went out of his way to make us feel welcome. Being afflicted with a sweet tooth, I am especially tuned in to dessert offerings.. What a wonderful surprise to be offered several very imaginative choices, each of which merited superlative praise, (based on trying each of my companions' deserts in addition to mine.) We were very concerned that there were so few patrons, and hope business picks up so that we will see Allen and his crew again when we visit next summer.
Louise G.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband I were first time visitors. It was fun to sit on the porch and have dinner. The architecture is pleasing and it is obvious that the owner cares about the food coming out of the kitchen. There were many choices and the menu is creative using lots of fresh ingredients. I had the pan-seared scallops which were outstanding. My husband had the swordfish special which he thoroughly enjoyed. He said the mashed potatoes were especially good. We did not have dessert but I will make sure to leave room next time. The portions were generous.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I had amazing steak tips here! Everything we all ordered was really good. Service is really friendly. If you come while they are really busy there is quite the wait. This is all real, healthy made food. Prices are reasonable and you will have plenty of leftovers.