We visited the Birchwood Inn (restaurant) in the past both prior to change of ownership and under current ownership. We will not return (given the apparent trend of decay).
It's a shame - as this once was on our "local top 10" list.
1. Yes - the location is classic New England, historic and charming - albeit out of the way for some (but not us).
2. Yes - the Inn is old and appealing for that reason.
3. Yes - the Server was polite and friendly.
4. Yes - the Owner was friendly and gracious.
5. And yes - if you are swayed by English accents - you will be pleased.
BUT, that is where the apparent positive attributes end.
1. The food was poorly prepared - dishes were overcooked (even burned on the edges / dried out), portions were small and the menu limited.
2. The furniture (tables, chairs, etc. on which we were served) was badly worn out, mismatched (seemed like old kitchen tables & chairs from a house) and apparently unclean.
3. While the prices were not aberrant, they were ultimately, too high - for the quality we experienced.
4. It would appear as though the Owners simply do not have enough cash flow and reserves to put into the physical facility, a higher quality food prep staff, dinnerware, better food, etc.
5. This recent experience was unfortunately consistent with our last one as well. We wanted to give them another chance before writing them off, returned hoping for a change / improvement. But alas....
In a nutshell, we were embarrassed - as well as for the Owner.
We hope that our feedback will be taken in the manner delivered - detailed, objective and with the hope that it will be taken to heart after some objective self-evaluation - and changes made. This will, we also hope, result in growing the cash flow and profitability - permitting the variety of corrections we identified, among potentially others.
In the past we recommended The Birchwood Inn to many. We can no longer serve as a positive reference.
We welcome feedback - especially negative feedback - in our jobs as that helps make us better once we internalize and act on that feedback. We hope the Owners will do the same here.
This is just our opinion - no more valuable or correct than any other. We could be completely incorrect in our review and conclusions. Form your own.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Taste of Old England in New England. Everything under one roof. Tavern and Casual dining available Wed through Sat 4:30pm - 9:00pm (dining available upto 1hr before close)Breakfast Brunch on Sunday's 8:30am - 2:00pm. Breakfast included for lodging guests every day from 7:30am - 9:00am. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your Birchwood Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Birchwood Hotel Temple