“Now I remember why we stopped eating here”
Review of Chequers Villa - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chequers Villa
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We used to have a tradition of going to Chequers for dinner every summer, but stopped going after a few times of bad food and worse service. Last night we found ourselves in the vicinity after a long hike and tried it again. The waitress forgot to bring my husband's beer. She neglected to tell us there was a whopping $3 upcharge (each) to substitute a ceasar salad for the house salad. The wait between seeing the waitress was so long we declined to order dessert and they no longer have ice cream anyway. The food was okay but not great. Maybe we'll try it again in a few years...or not.

1  Thank KSOMacon

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We tried Chequers thanks to a Restaurant.com certificate. The menu is vast and there is something for everyone.

The waitress greeted us and forgot about us and waited on a table that came in after us...rookie move. She seemed to be in the weeds although it was not that busy. Everyone was friendly but it just seemed that there needs to be some training and a "this is how we do things around here" approach to service.

The bread was excellent, as was the salad. One of my sons ordered the meatball sub with fries and really enjoyed it, the other had a pizza and it was excellent as well. Both me and my wife ordered the eggplant parm and it was really overcooked...dry, not a lot of sauce and with visually burnt cheese on top. I was surprised that a chef looked at it and said..."it is good to go".

We ended up not sending it back due to the service and the time it took to get it in the first place. In all honesty I think that it was just an off night; this place has potential and we did not see it on this visit. The sauce that was on the side of spaghetti was excellent.

I believe in giving places another chance, so we will try it again. Hopefully the management will read these reviews and put some practices in place to manage a more consistent experience.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

We must have had a new waitress. Drinks arrived after asking for them again after our salads. I love veal and ordered Veal Marsala. Since I make it also, I know it is to be pounded before cooking. Mine was at least 1/2 inch thick and tough. The flavor was good. The baked potato was steamed. Salad was fresh with good greens. My husbands antipasto was is an usual collection of food. It had artichokes, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, marinated mushrooms, cheese and ham rolls, and inferior house Italian dressing. It was adequate, but not a traditional antipasto. Our guests had Salmon Basilico. None of the 3 mentioned anything about their entrees.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Have been a few times to Chequers and the food has been very inconsistent. Will most likely order again (for take out),,, but will not attend the pizza buffet night again.
Selection at buffet was poor and often no pizza available at all for several minutes at a time.

1  Thank Wyatt B
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We always get a delicious meal. I love that you get a salad with your entree. The salad with homemade dill dressing is delicious. I also love that you get a choice of a petit or full entree. We've had the haddock fillet, veal parmesan, soups and pastas and it was all great