“Bates Motel Intesified!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Burkehaven Lodge

Burkehaven Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sunapee
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I arrived to a motel with no office manager to be found!! I was approached by an elderly gentleman that had to contact mnger that a guest needed to register.It was the hottest/ worst heatwave in New England for a week with a dew pt. 70+.I proceeded to settle into my room, anticipating of a nice A.C. room, after a 3 hr. trek to find out there was no A.C. Anyway, I had a + aditude that I woundn't be in my motel room constantly & that I was here to enjoy a visit with my girlfriend!! Well,in the course of the 5hr. stay, I experienced, an old man who encouraging me to use the fan in the closet to cool off & ,( told me several times), to go for a swim in the pool.I was out 4 several hrs. to arrive to no electricity.At that pt.I felt unsafe, being a woman alone with no official guests around & no mnger around. Not to mention that it would be dark in 15 min.There was no cellphone service & no landline pnones in rooms!I decided to leave & asked Rick-proprietor to refund my $. He immediately said "NO" & told me there was something wrong w/ me & that I was a flake!! I contacted 911 for fear that his verbal abuse would turn physically violent! I was scared! Sunapee,NH. police arrived & told me to leave. I did file legal complaints to my Bank of America VISA Card & to N.H. Attorney General James T. Boffetti.Subsequently, I was told by both, that Rick did nothing wrong because he had the room available when I had arrived!!! Frightening, improper business & rude practices apparently don't constitute a safe, humane,& descent stay!! To all who are looking for a wonderful stay, book @ Best Western Sunapee Lake Lodge!!! They were my rescue that fateful night!! They gave me back my faith in hotel travel!!! Sincerely, R.O. P.S.I was told by my credit card co. that they would credit me $50.00. I await that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank inky2001
There are newer reviews for Burkehaven Lodge

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a really lovely motel with great views and nice out of the way location. Everything was clean and nicely appointed. We will be visiting this motel again next year. The continental breakfast was also very nice and the lodge setting with the dining room table felt like home. Highly recommend this motel.

Room Tip: I stayed twice and both rooms would nice. I feel that any room would be the same.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank buddymav
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was nervous but no one else would take a family of five, The rooms were larger than expected and very clean. Nothing special about the breakfast but free, the owner was always coming back to refresh the food. The maid was very sociable. The owner was always a quick call a way. No air conditioner but there was a fan in every room. Unfortunately we were there in 90+ degrees. The view was amazing. If you are looking for a leaf peeping place this place seems great.They also have a pass you can use to go to beach. If you like walking in woods and up hills this is a great area. Would go back. The dining room has board games for the kids to play.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank WOBMOM
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We showed up late on friday night and were able to get in our room no problem. Stayed in the king room and it was pretty decent. The room was pretty average and very clean. Only qualms would be that there was a little mold on the shower curtain and the bed wasn't the most comfortable but fine. other than that, you get what you pay for. Booked directly with them and the king room is 99/night plus tax. Had the continental breakfast and it was good. Mini bagels, cream cheese, english muffins, jelly, coffee, milk, and i think 5 choices of cereal. everything was pretty fresh, no problems there at all. great discount on the ski passes for sunapee and not far from the mountain. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I made a reservation here a few weeks ago. The cancellation policy stated you can cancel up to 72 hours before arrival. Check in time is between 3-9. I figured 72 hours was between those hours. I called at 7pm to cancel and was told I would have to pay the full amt. as time had passed. He said if he could rent the room he would than only charge me a $50 fee. He made me pay the fee after threatening to report me to a collection agency and by calling me at 8am till 9pm until I paid. This guy made an extra $50 on the room instead of returning my money. He is not a friendly person and will curse at you if you dont "play ball' with him. Just read some of the reviews on TA. Please be aware of this info if you are making a reservation here. There are other places at Sunapee that are nicer and friendlier.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mrslick
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed this past weekend with 4 adults and 1 child in the Family Condo. As others noted, the decor is nothing fancy and is a bit outdated, but there was ample space for us to relax, the beds were decent and felt very comfortable after a long day of skiing on Mount Sunapee. The view was beautiful. It was a quiet spot but in a great location... Overall, we all had a great time. The Continental Breakfast wasn't anything special, but we also were not expecting much -- coffee, juice, cereals, hard-boiled eggs, english muffins and mini-bagels. It was enough to start our day before heading to the slopes.

The owner was pleasant and like the previous reviewer stated, he was not sitting at the front desk when we arrived, but came over as soon as we called. He had even turned on the electric fireplaces in all the rooms before we arrived so the condo was nice and warm when we got there. We had plenty of hot water and clean towels. We all enjoyed our time and the deal on the 1 day lift tickets was also great.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christina K
Reviewed February 10, 2013

we arrived at the hotel from booking on price line to be told that the owner does not use priceline but when I pulled up my bank account the charge to the hotel was clear as day. He began to start that he didn't feel like dealing with that and that he needed to charge my card. He rooms were something out of a horror movie I had seen not to long ago. The beds must of had some sort of plastic on them because every time my fiance and I would move to get a better sleeping position all you could hear was lots of loud crinkling noises from the mattress. The bathroom was tiny including the shower. In the morning as we checked out again he insisted on swiping my card but this time he admitted that he charged my account and insisted that he wasn't going to fighting with me about this time. After checking out about a half an hour back to our hometown, we get a brutal phone call where the owner is screaming his head off saying that someone was smoking In the room. This was comical because I am pregnant, and trust me there was no smoking anywhere even near my room. I was horrified when he rubbed in my face "well I will charge your card $200 because I already have your card numbers anyways." The treatment I received from this place is the worst I had ever been treated and I urge others to avoid it on their own by not staying here. When you stay somewhere you expect to be treated with hospitality and respect. What we received here was far from that.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank lyciaboo657
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunapee
Sunapee Lake Lodge
#1 of 3 in Sutton
Inn at Pleasant Lake
Inn at Pleasant Lake
#1 of 6 in New London

Been to Burkehaven Lodge? Share your experiences!