“watch out for the bear!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Burkehaven Lodge

Burkehaven Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sunapee
ma.
“watch out for the bear!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2008

I am only writing to warn all you folks out there not to stay in this "lodge". the owner was out right rude and what I would call abusive. he did not allow our families to gather in the suite after we rented two other rooms to accommodate all of our families. He treated us like he was paying us for staying there not the other way around. I have never seen such a belligerent man running a business . Save yourself the heartache go elsewhere.
We loved Sunapee, it is such a shame that he is what we will remember most about our trip,

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — the owner
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank daytrippaMa_

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
melrose mass
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

Of all the places I have stayed I have NEVER experienced such bad customer service. When I arrived I wanted to catch up with my friends in the "penthouse" or whatever you call it and I got turned away. I was shocked. I just wanted to talk with them and I would be back down. I understand 8 at all times but give me a break. I felt like I was punished. And how dare you point a finger in my friend's face like that and scream at her and pin her up against the wall. You should be ashamed. She was so shaken up by that. I could here your loud voice that morning. We were so close as to calling the police. And there were never more than 8 people up there as you accused us of. We made sure of that. We switched off the kids so that there would be only 8 just so that they could see eachother.

• Disliked — bad customer service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank h0pper

Travelers are raving about these Sunapee hotels

Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

We booked the Penthouse and a regular room. It is stated that only 8 people to the Penthouse, so we booked a 3rd room to accomodate everyone. The owner sat in the Lobby and counted every day who went up to the Penthouse. We were not allow to have visitors from our other rooms to come up to talk or even to make plans, because the owner refused them access upstairs. There were no phones to even contact our other friends in the other rooms. There were 5 adults and 10 children (ages 7 - 20). They closed the main door at 8:30 p.m. and the only access in or out was backdoor, no shoveled pathway and very icy. Their expanded breakfast was awful and didn't accomodate everyone. The owner threatened us at times for eviction and scared the younger children. I will never recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed March 2008
4 Thank MSH47
MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

I wish I'd read the negative reviews before my recent stay because it would have saved my family and I a terrible weekend at this so-called "lodge" (calling this place a lodge is a huge exaggeration, it is a motel). I have never encountered a ruder owner and more terrible customer service in my life. It was absolutely shocking. This is the first time I have ever written a negative review but I am so outraged I had to take the time to make sure people know what they will be getting if they stay here. The owner acts as if he is doing you a favor by letting you stay here, rather than thanking and appreciating you for your business (and hard earned money). SAVE YOURSELF A HUGE AGGRAVATION AND BELITTLEMENT FROM THE OWNER AND DO NOT GO HERE!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rude owner, terrible customer service
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank traveler1Ma
greathost, owner at Burkehaven Lodge, responded to this review, February 26, 2008
first of all this particular guest rented our suite and called three times and was told three times 8 people max allowed at any one time in the suite Saturday night upon finding 13 people in the suite we asked them to make the adjustment to 8 even though they had 11 that had to stay there we told them we would not charge them. We also told them there was no smoking in the suite. They totally disregarded that rule and went ahead and smoked. We waived the 275.00 charge because we didn’t want any friction. The other 2 people that had to leave the suite and go back to their room trashed it. The next morning when we greeted them good morning we were replied with profanity. we apologize but rules are made for to protection of all the guests not just for some of them to do as they please at others expense.
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Burkehaven Lodge. We went to Sunapee to ski for a few days and picked the Burkehaven after some friends had suggested we try it. I am glad I did not read these reviews before we booked, because we may not have gone, and that would have been a big loss. The host was always very kind.

We had the opportunity to stay in the Penthouse Suite. This name does not do justice to this fabulous place. It was more like an apartment or vacation condo. I don't know the square footage, but it is bigger than many apartments I have lived in. The furniture was very comfortable and we all slept better than we do at home! Breakfast at the Lodge allowed us to get something healthy to eat and head to the slopes. The view from our balcony was picture perfect.

We can not wait to come back and stay again!

• Stayed January 2008
1 Thank 4tarheels
West Springfield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

Although the accomdodations were OK, the staff/management were very rude. I can see why they have had problems with guests(reviewers) in the past. I would not recommend this lodge to anyone!

Stayed February 2008
5 Thank sharkfins13
greathost, owner at Burkehaven Lodge, responded to this review, February 24, 2008
The Burkehaven sincerely apologizes, but we do not allow under age children to be out and about after 10pm disturbing other guests. This was a school group whose supervisor/teacher was sleeping while the chuldren were running from room to room at 11pm. Management had to act after other guests complained.
longboat key
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2007

we stayed in the 2 bedroom suite on columbus day weekend this year. the view was spectacular and the electric fireplaces in each room was a pleasure. We had everything we needed and loved the location.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank georgejets
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunapee
Sunapee Lake Lodge
#1 of 2 in Sunapee
Follansbee Inn
Follansbee Inn
#1 of 3 in Sutton

Been to Burkehaven Lodge? Share your experiences!