“Called the police”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sunapee
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Called the police”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed for a few minutes. Started fine we checked, got ouor room. The parking lot was empty so my husband asked if we could have an end room and the man at the desk said no. We left the office and walked to our room. Just as I walked into our room the man came running after my husband yelling if you don't like it here don't stay and kept yelling in his face. I offered to leave with a refund but he would only agree to 50%. We got in our car to go eat dinner and decided we could not go back there and reported his behavior. I think he did that to get money for nothing!

Room Tip: Go to Cottage Lake Inn or somewhere on Squam Lake
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BethMalesich84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
South Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Even though there is not much to do at Lake Sunapee, we enjoyed the stay at this hotel. It is very small, only 10 rooms or so. Owners of the lodge were friendly and helpful. Our room was quite large and included a king bed, electric fireplace and tv. Bathroom was clean, but had a very small shower. Location was nice and private, but a little far from things. The outdoor pool was a little dirty so we did not use it, but looked nice otherwise. Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JG5554
travelover183, Owner at Burkehaven Lodge, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you for your nice review. We do apologize for the state of the pool. Ordinarily it is sparkling clean, but unfortunately with the beautiful fall foliage also comes far more leaves than we can ever keep up with. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Easthampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The room was very cute, huge bed and comfy. Lots of space, microwave and small fridge with coffee pot. Bathroom was clean but the shower was very claustrophobic no room to move around in. The pool area was outdoor and nice. The office has a lounge area you can play board games or take back to your room. Distance to the town beach is a drive away not a close walk, was told there were hiking trails did not easily find them.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed September 29, 2011

This is a delightful lodge. I needed internet access and a desk, and they were very helpful and made that happen. The room was large and very clean. The bed was comfortable and there was a TV. The continental breakfast was enough and I was able to take it to my room. I sat outside on the porch and enjoyed the Fall weather.

The people were very nice. My last memory was of the owner running after me as I was leaving waving my diamond earrings. I was very grateful. I will return when I visit the area again next year.

Room Tip: If you want fast internet connection ask for a room near the lobby
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jeannehb
Middleton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We loved the B'haven. Very nice room with decor that reflects nature and wildlife. Good sized room, mini fridge, and microwave. Plenty of room for snacks and beverages. Two double beds and two comfy chairs were great for relaxing and watching TV. The pool is simply beautiful- clean, good sized. A really nice view of Mr. Sunapee and gorgeous landscaping. Great continental breakfast in a family dining and lounging area. Everything about staying there was perfect for our 24th anniversary. Beach passes and nearby boat launches for kayaking were terrific.
Doris and Rick are the consummate hosts; they personalized our visit with everything from lovely touches of their flowers to terrific info about local places to eat and visit. We had a wonderful time there.

Room Tip: There are 11 or 12 units and they all look nice. Easy to get to the pool and the office area.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diane S
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed here last night. I absolutely would NOT recommend this place. It is near nothing. The rooms are gross. There is no AC.

We checked in around 8pm. Shortly after that, there was a 45 minute altercation outside - VERY loud, using the"f" word constantly. I don''t know which unit it was. It sounded like them man who checked us in but I didn't want to go outside to see for sure. We locked our door and windows.

Our room was unlocked before we arrived - possibly to keep the unit aired and less hot. No luck, it was still hot. There was NO ice in the lobby ice machine. (The lobby, btw, was dated and yucky. That's where they "serve" breakfast.) We did not put any food in the mini fridge - yuck!. No one in our party wanted to use the shower - it was too gross. The toilet had flushing issues. The TV - a small screen with a big box - harkening back to another era - did not have an operating remote control. It was necessary to manually go up or down through all the channels from the TV set.

The was hotel far from the harbor. We noted wild life as we drove in and drove out - I think they were foxes. I would not recommend trying to walk anywhere.

We didn't use the pool. Instead we left early the next morning (not our plan - we just wanted to get out ASAP!!) . We could get out fast enough! We did stay for breakfast - yuck!

I have never written a negative review. I hope I never do again. I wish I had read the reviews before coming here. YUCK!! If I had the "oportunity " to stay here for free, I would NOT do it!! Yuck!! I did not feel safe here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank sammydog2008
travelover183, Manager at Burkehaven Lodge, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Here at the Burkehaven we pride ourselves on cleanliness. We have been recently inspected by AAA in July and got a great recommendation. The Burkehaven is in a rural setting and that is why we have so many repeat customers that love to wake up to see the sun rising over the mountain. I wish I had control over the wildlife but I dont. We love seeing our deer grazing, the wild turkeys and yes, fox. After all it is New Hampshire. The Harbor by the way is approximately half a mile away. Our guests love to visit the Harbor but it is very noisy at night.We certainly apologize if you were unhappy with your room. If you would have notified us you were unhappy we would have gladly given you a refund to go on to another property.

Travelers are raving about these Sunapee hotels

Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Honestly, I had reservations about reserving a room here after reading the reviews. However, I could not have been more surprised and happy. This family run motel (although) there is a nice lounge in center area of office) was clean and in beautiful location. Yes, you have to drive or take walk to water, but the view was exceptional, lots of nice window boxes and chairs outside on porch overlooking pool and mountain. Owner was exceptionally pleasant, and room immaculate. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Weaver53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunapee
Sunapee Lake Lodge
#1 of 2 in Sunapee
Follansbee Inn
Follansbee Inn
#1 of 3 in Sutton

Been to Burkehaven Lodge? Share your experiences!