“Ok in area with dearth of BBQ”

Wildwood Smokehouse
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Sunapee
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Description: New restaurant opened approximately 12/15/2010.
Description: New restaurant opened approximately 12/15/2010.
Reviewed August 8, 2014

The ribs and pulled pork were good, but the pulled chicken was below average. The management clearly doesn't like special requests. We especially recommend the coleslaw.

3  Thank MarkBethel_Ohio
Debbie S, Owner at Wildwood Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

I read your recent review, and was wondering what your comment regarding special requests is directed towards. I do not recall your face, as I am the only server/owner you will see. Typically I know all that happens in the restaurant because of this. We take pride in the fact that we will pretty much serve you anything, anyway you like as long as we have it available in the kitchen. I do not turning down any request you had.. thanks

Reviewed May 12, 2014

As a N.H. native the idea of BBQ does not send me soaring like it does some of my southern and mid-western friends and relatives, but I do like tasty food, and you will get that in spades at the Wildwood Smokehouse. It is small and cozy and my husband and I had a great time chatting with the people sitting at the table next to us, which we considered a plus because we like to meet new people and that is why we normally like to sit at the bar. The food is delicious. We have only been there twice (in the same week!) but as soon as I tasted the wings I stated I would never order wings from another local establishment again. There is SUCH a difference in how it falls off the bone with very little coaxing, same as the ribs, absolutely cooked to perfection and delicious flavor. I've also had the BBQ chicken which was moist and tender. The sides I have tried (baked beans, cole slaw and baked potato) were also very good -- and the corn muffin ... YUM! I've had a few bites of the brisket off my husband's plate and that tasted yummy too. I just might become a BBQ fanatic! It is one of those places I hate to review because then people will go!!! But you should.

2  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I go here at least one a week. Debbie and her staff (Her Sons) are awesome people, they are always in a mood for a conversation. I consider The Smokehouse my hometown Pub.

2  Thank jlh050965
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Even though I heard terrible things about this restaurant I decided to give it a chance. Boy was I wrong. The food instantly made me feel queasy (pulled pork) and I headed for the bathroom. To my absolute disgust the toilet was certainly not clean (if you know what I mean) the bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. I paid my bill and left, never to return again.
Ps. I felt sick and had the runs for the next 3 days.

13  Thank Hwillam
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

My family has lived up here for years and we were hoping that this BBQ place would be a nice addition to the harbor. The food isn't bad, nor is it above average. We tried Wildwood right around when they opened up shop a few years ago, and we thought it was o---k. Let me tell you about our bad experience... so we wanted to get barbeque take-out earlier this summer. So my dad tried to find a website with a menu. No website. When my dad called Wildwood the person on the phone said the menu was on their website. No website was the first problem. So my dad decided to go down to Wildwood to place the order in person. The wait-staff was very attentive and nice, by the way. So my dad placed the order, and came back a little while later to pick up. It took a little longer than expected, but the wait-staff handled it well. We he got the food, he asked for some extra barbeque sauce. The boss-lady caught ear of my dad's simple request. Then this crazy manager woman began having an outburst, angerly chiseling-away at my dad saying things like: "How dare you make my waitresses do that" and "We shouldn't have to do take-out." The manager/owner should take a class on customer-service, and maybe anger-management. This is not a well-run restaurant, and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes out of business soon. We will not be returning customers.

8  Thank andreduboisNH
Debbie S, Owner at Wildwood Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

This is why I dislike TripAdvisor so much. Just to set the record straight! You and your "DAD" came to Wildwood a few weeks ago, and my son was at the bar when your father asked to place a BULK order. My son explained to him that we need a 48 hour notice for any bulk order. OUR POLICY! However, your DAD was extremely rude and insisted he needed to feed 8 people. My son told him he could order anything off the menu to go, but that wasnt good enough. So we took his order. 5 pounds of pulled pork, pulled chicken, 10 cornbreads, and a few quarts of sides. You and your DAD paid for the order, left and returned about 15 minutes later. I was in the kitchen preparing your order out of the goodness of my heart! against policy...because of your fathers attitude. When I completed the order, I entered the dining room to find your father standing there, with his arms crossed and tapping his foot. I asked him what the problem was, and he said he was waiting for BBQ sauce. (that he wasnt charged for) then he continued with how long it took him to get the order. I explained to him that this is WHY we require a 48 hour notice for BULK order. Then he went on to tell me how poorly managed my business is because I do not have a website, or a menu online. He had an attitude from the time he walked in the door, and one thing I will NOT TOLERATE is to be disrespected or for a customer to disrespect my staff...I take great pride in my business, and work 12-14 hours a day. Not having a menu on line or a website does not give your DAD the right to insult me, or treat me the way he did. I did you a favor , and went against our policy to provide you with Bulk product, when you should have ordered dinners off our menu like every other restaurant in the area. Your comments are inaccurate and like your father you clearly think your deserving of special treatment. I treat my customers as they treat me! Respect me, and I will respect you...degrade and insult me and my staff, and YES I will be as RUDE as your Dad was to me! thank you for not returning to wildwood.....