“Bon Appetit!”

Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2013

On Saturday night (September 21, 2013), a group of us headed to Café André for dinner. A reservation had been made (highly recommended) and because there were twelve of us a special menu had been prepared by the chef. The choices were duck breast with a black cherry reduction, twin double-cut lamb chops, sword fish, and filet mignon.

We were greeted warmly by Mary, Chef André’s wife, and shown to our table in front of a large window overlooking a well cared for garden. Later we were told the herbs the chef used in our dinner were from the restaurant’s garden.

I can only speak for myself... the lamb chops with the cabernet-mushroom pan sauce was quite good ... medium rare and tasty. The sides, a simple mashed potato and a sautéed vegetable medley complemented the meat. The price was nowhere near the value of the meal.

While the wine list is modest, Chef André’s selection covers the gamut of the food he prepares. The group’s decision was to all have the same wine, a Melini chianti ($18)... a nice discovery, especially at the price... very smooth, and went well with all the dinners on the menu.

Dessert... many of our group that evening had a fresh baked French Apple Pie made by our server, Mary. Apple Pie is a New England tradition, and we (New Englanders) tend to believe that we have the only “good” apple pie rendition. Mary had produced a gem of an apple pie for us that evening... even an award winning baker at the table was impressed. That said, none of the other desserts paled on their own right. The cheesecake with raspberry was pronounced as “yummy” by my wife. I heard murmurs of satisfaction from the other diners as they ate (devoured) their respective desserts... let me say that there was no sharing going on.

As with the ending of many a meal, coffee was ordered... please take note, other restaurateurs who may read this, coffee is the last thing a diner will have before they leave your restaurant... so it better be good. André’s coffee matched the rest of the meal, and we left his domain with our senses satisfied.

As to the physical distractions... and there are some... get over it and eat one of his delicious concoctions... as Julie Childs said, “Bon Appetit!”

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Perhaps Cafe Andre does not look auspicious from the outside, but it would be a mistake NOT to stop here for dinner! I have been coming to the Sunapee area for years, and always make a point of having my dinner with Andre. I have never been disappointed, and have found Andre's cooking of consistent high quality. The food is delicious - fresh, well prepared, nicely presented and a variety of choices. Every night there are additional specials. Desserts are homemade and worth the calories. Andre is a talented chef, and Mary keeps the restaurant running smoothly. A recent duck breast special was fabulous - and we returned a few nights later for the swordfish special, which was no longer available when we stopped for dinner on our first visit. Even the salad (included in the dinner price) is something to swoon over - the vegetables tasting as if they were just picked from the garden! Prices are quite reasonable, and the dining room is quiet and peaceful, overlooking a beautiful garden.
Lake Sunapee is a beautiful area, made even more enjoyable by this most special restaurant.

1  Thank Claudia S
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This place looks sort of like a hole in the wall. It's easy to drive right by it and think it's just a bar. (It actually has a great bar with dance floor and pool table and live music on Wednesday nights.) But on the other side of the place is a lovely, sort-of-French looking restaurant with a lower level garden view, table-clothed tables, and beautiful hand-blown glassware on a shelf that catches the evening light. Andre is a superb chef. Nothing pretentious about him, a little on the gruff side, but what a cook. The duck is outstanding, as is the veal and chicken. I don't love the beef filet with bleu cheese atop because the cheese is too think and the cut of the meat is different than expected. But still, great taste. Andre often offers three-course French dinners (soup or salad, main course, dessert) for $25 pp and the portions are plentiful. Check the local "Kearsarge Shopper" for his ads or go to his Web site, cafeandre.net

Reviewed July 19, 2013

THE best kept secret in the surrounding area of Lake Sunapee is the fabulous French cuisine restaurant Cafe Andre, located on Rt 103, in Sunapee, NH! We have had two absolutely wonderful dinners there. Don't be put off by the ramshackle outward appearance of the restaurant. Once inside, it is a totally French restaurant as in Paris, with white linen tablecloths and quaint settings and atmosphere, with window views of the hidden garden in summertime and the lake and wood stove/fire places in the winter.

On our first venture there, we ordered the lamb chops with asparagus and for an appetizer, the escargot. What a tremendous surprise to have the escargot out of shell and served in a wonderful tomato and basil white wine sauce! Absolutely to die for!!!! The lamb chops were done to perfection and generous in size, being the alternate to the defunct rack of lamb that the restaurant previously had on the menu. Dessert was a blueberry- filled wonder called, wait for it.........blueberry cloud. Tres magnifique!!!

Being seasoned visitors after our first visit to this darling restaurant, we asked if we could make a reservation for a followup date and order in advance the duck that was on the menu presented on our initial visit. Our hostess, Mary, assured us that they would have the duck for our enjoyment, so of course, we made our reservation for the following weekend. Being so taken with the escargot appetizer, we ordered it again on that second visit and sure enough, the chef recreated this fabulous treat. The duck was grilled and again, the chef prepared it perfectly, with a serving of sliced red potato that was boiled. Neither of us had ever had a boiled potato that was so delicious. Whatever seasoned water the chef used had us both stumped as to what made this potato so tasty, but it was perfect with the grilled duck. Grilled vegetables (varied) finished the lovely presentation. Dessert was blueberry cloud again for my significant other, but I chose a heavenly chocolate pie that totally fulfilled my craving for chocolate without being sicky sweet. How Andre creates his fabulous meals is a mystery, but clearly he studied his craft in France before finally settling in Sunapee, NH.

Cost wise this restaurant is THE BEST value for your money. Our entire dinners with dessert and a very good bottle of wine averaged around $100 (with gratuity). I almost hate to write this review, since it will expose Cafe Andre to all who read this, but I can't NOT tell people about the fabulous food and ambiance this wonderful chef has created for us in his little French restaurant. Thank you, Andre, (and Mary).

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have to share with you all, a Little Local secret called Cafe Andre. This rustic little Cafe has the Best Food, Custom Made to Order by Chef Andre. Everything is made Fresh !
Andre whipped me up a Fettecini Alfredo Laced with a Tomatoe Sauce that was So Delicious, along with a Garden Salad of Fresh Veggies and a Razz-Berry Vinegret. Topped off with Andre's Own Oven Baked French Bread. If you call ahead (approx. 1 hr.) to let them know that you are coming , Andre will have his Homemade French Bread Baked and Ready for You When You Arrive!
My meal was So Good, I brought my Doggie Bag home and finished it all before I went to bed !
Please Don't miss out on Mary's Deserts ! Her recipes have been handed down from Generations of Desert Bakers. Please try Mary's CheeseCake with Fresh Strawberries. It's Absolutely Scrumptuous !!!! Any Local in the Cafe will tell you that Mary's CheeseCake Is The Best !
On Wed. Nights, Cafe Andre has Live Entertainment / Music. So I suggest that you Stop In and Unwind, Enjoy a Great Meal, Great Deserts, Play a game of PooL, Enjoy the Live Music, and have some Laughs with The Locals !!!!
This Rustic Little Cafe is only a 2 person operation So, Remember to Call Ahead to give Mary and Chef Andre time to prepare a Delicious Custom Made Dinner and to get the French Bread Baking, Just For You !!!!