“Unclear on Concept”
Review of Sugar Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sugar Hill
Sugar Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Sugar Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Danville, California
“Unclear on Concept”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Lipadad expressed it well in his/her review. My conflict has much to do also with the price. This is our 4th trip to New England in the Fall and the inns and B & B's here can be such a delight. We have stayed in this sort of accomidation all over the country for many, many years so I feel we have a good perspective. Our first reaction when we arrived and were shown our room was that we both wanted to cancel the reservation and go to Adair Country Inn. If I understand correctly, there are some rooms that have been re-decorated but ours wasn't. It looked like what I think the inn should actually BE: a summer inn where families can go to frolic in the pool, play on the lawn, sit on the porches, play croquet or ping pong ( which or course aren't provided), have cookies in the afternoon ( which are made by Karen and are fabulous), drink wine, eat good meals together and just relax in a beautiful setting. The landscaping looked like it needed fussing over, nothing special. Most places really decorate for Fall; this one didn't.
I love the cottage idea and this one has it, but ours was cheaply furnished like a cabin in the 50's. The first night the smoke alarm went off and wouldn't stop so Steve had to come and fix it. His response was that "with 14 rooms, something like this always happens." The thing is......It DOESN'T! I have never had something like that happen in all my travels. We had to do with a space heater, no fireplace and then in the morning the power was off for hours. We couldn't use our laptop, nor did the phone work, so by then we were ready to leave.
There is so little attention to the details that make a place special. There was no landing from our room to the car. Even a private home owner would have done something nicer with the entry. There was an espresso machine, but no coffee provided for our coffee maker ( that was later amended.) The servers ( except for one) in the dining room seemed inappropriate. They were made to wear old, navy blue frayed polo shirts and black pants, neither of which flattered any of their figures. I felt sorry for them. The restaurant is billed to be a good one, which it is, but the whole scene is definitely not top notch. Food was fine and Steve's breakfasts are very good. If all this had come at a reasonable price, we would have walked away happier. We decided to stay because it was just too complicated to find another accomidation.
In reading the reviews, I see that Steve keeps defending that this is a "romantic hideaway" and not for older or non-romantic couples. If that is his concept, than he should travel to such "romantic" places and get a better feel for what they offer. Go to Rabbit Hill or any of the other well known ones. In doing so, he also limits his guests and I think that is foolish. The problem is that the place in no way merits such a high cost. It was the most we paid for any of our accomidations on the trip ( or in any trip in the past) and by far the least desirable.
I know that Steve reads all these reviews like a hawk and defends them all. Steve, the idea, is to learn from any critiques, not to just sit there batting them away. They are meant to be helpful. You will now go through all my other reviews, trying to prove that I am negative, or have bad taste, or eat at cheap restaurants, etc. but you won't find that. Sorry. Spend your time fixing up the place and responding instead of defending. For your defensiveness alone, I would never recommend this to anyone.

1 Thank marjorie v
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
You are right I read these reviews like a hawk. While everyone is entitled to an opinion I will correct misleading statements. I am always glad to receive intelligent feedback and I learn from every review. I am not surprised at all that you agree with the folks from Pa. You had a lot in common and if you had both been here at the same time you would have become instant friends. We are sorry that we are not better at accommodating folk in the 70s and 80s. I don’t mean to be disrespectful but this age group has needs and preferences that are different from those of our other guests. We went the extra mile to give as much TLC as possible. We are a farm house with steps in unexpected places and rustic grounds and I worry when people who stay here have mobility issues. Based upon our excellent trip advisor scores, other review sites and comment cards most guest strongly disagree with you and the couple from Pa.

Your complaint about price is disingenuous on two points. You were not without power at all. You tripped one circuit breaker but the others were still working. It was repaired within a minute of being notified and for your inconvenience you received a free night. Your husband was thrilled with the deal. Price is the one fact that every knows before coming. Your room was exactly as picture on the internet and the hospitality was also as describe. If you ignored the information available to you and picked a place that was not to your liking it is your fault not ours. We are who we say we are.

At one point you had expressed interest in checking out early. Normally according to our cancellation policy you would be responsible for the entire stay. Seeing that you were having trouble getting acclimated to the inn we told you we would not hold you responsible if you wished to check out early. Your second day with us went very smoothly and you decided not to leave early. At checkout your husband said that you had a good stay, everything was fine and the free night more than resolved the issue from the first night.

In your review you name dropped a couple of inns. I know their owners, have seen all of their rooms and have dined in their restaurants. We are their equals in every way although our style is very different. Some guests prefer them and many prefer us. A traveler that does there homework will select the property that best meet their own needs and desires.

In your review you implied that I should get out more and learn what a romantic inn really looks like. It turns out that I have written more hotel reviews then you. I encourage you to read them. My number one favorite romantic hotel is in the hill town of Ravello Italy high above the Amalfi Coast.

So let’s talk about the room, since it had been renovated just two years ago, you are either trying to mislead or the design just eluted you. The Perennial is a country cottage with timeless qualities. The room has beautiful hard wood floors. The French Country wardrobe was custom built for us in Quebec. The beautiful original painting by a local artist and the amazing views of Mt Layette makes a compelling statement. The bathroom is tiled in natural stone travertine and has a marble top farm house sink. The two custom upholstered chairs are less than two months old. The room include coffee, tea, espresso, robes, flat screen TV, chocolates, luxurious high thread count sheets, lots of plush towels, premium shampoo, shower gel, lotion and conditioner, clock radio with iphone charger, mini fridge, fireplace, ironing board, iron, pen, note pad, selection of magazines and bottled water. Is that what you meant by lacking details?

I think that you would have enjoyed the traditional luxury and main floor location of the Richardson suite but you required a room with twin beds. Currently Perennial can be set up as a twin or king room. In the near future we will be replacing the bed and we no long be offering any rooms with twin beds.

We do not micro-manage the attire of our Breakfast Servers/Housekeepers. They are given the Land’s End business outfitters catalog (I think everything in their catalog is quite presentable) and they select what is going to offer them the most comfort in doing their job. They wear a variety of options, all displaying the Sugar Hill logo, which are seasonally appropriate. Nothing was old or frayed. New outfits are purchase at the beginning of every season. Commenting on the figures of our servers is highly inappropriate and offensive. Here again I am not sure what you were looking for. Did you want them to be wearing Little House on the Prairie dresses?

Your room has Wi-Fi so I am not sure what the issue was with your laptop. If you needed technical help we would have been glad to assist.

Our grounds in the fall our decorated with lots of mums, pumpkins and our famous scarecrow. I am not really sure what else you were looking for.

The concept is clear to us and most of our guest would not be happy with your vision of the perfect inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I spent two gorgeous nights at the Sugar Hill Inn after booking on the strength of Trip Advisor posts. Having travelled from a hectic 10 days in New York our stay was a perfect contrast and one we greatly enjoyed. Karen welcomed us to the Inn with the daily, yummy afternoon tea and later Steve provided his welcome from behind the bar with great cocktails. We were fortunate to have booked dinner on our first night and the meal was superb. Val is a fabulous chef and deserves all the praise he receives. The other member of the team also needs a mention, the lovely canine Katie who added a homely feel to the Inn.
Our room was comfortable and the library provided a further great room to relax in - and play Scrabble! Breakfasts on both mornings, prepared by Steve, were lovely and certainly set us up well for exploring the wonderful White Mountains.
Shame about the distance from Australia as we would like to make this an annual place to visit!

Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you so much for traveling all the way from Australia. We enjoyed your company.
Barbados
Reviewed October 29, 2013

From the time you arrive you have a wonderful welcome and it does not end till you leave - and then some! ( thanks, they were fabulous!). Rooms are gorgeous with the right attention to detail - even down to the tasteful selection of C.D's made available in your room to the candles by the spa bath. Nothing is too much trouble for the attentive staff and owners. Great wine selection and the food was amazing. Chefs selection of soup and beet salad must have a special mention. Picture postcard perfect!

1 Thank 85JonathanP
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have thought quite a while before writing this review, as I have many conflicting thoughts on the inn. In the end, I think it boils down to being a nice place but somewhat overpriced. Read on for my thoughts: The innkeepers and dog were very friendly and helpful. The inn is composed of a main building with lounge and bar, and outlying cabins, or smaller units reached by walking across grass, perhaps 100-150 feet from the main building. Our compact room had very modern furniture (but an uncomfortable sofa) and was nicely decorated with original artwork. There was a nice, thermostatically-controlled gas heater next to the bed. However, the wi-fi came and went, and we had no cell phone reception (not that important for me but would have been helpful considering the wi-fi). The driveway to the cabin was stones and rutted in places, so the car bottomed out. While the location was very pretty and had professional landscaping around the buildings, some plants needed pruning, and even by the main entrance there were weeds that should have been pulled. The inn is well located, only about 45 minutes from Mount Washington, and near towns such as Littleton with many amenities. However, as the owners say, you should not rely on your GPS to find them - you will be on the right road but a few miles from the inn. Perhaps that situation is because they are really closer to Franconia than Sugar Hill. The bathroom is very modern, but the jacuzzi tub is very slippery on the bottom and has no handrails (but the owners may be correcting this problem). The low-flow shower head has plenty of hot water. There is a large very firm bed with lots of soft pillows. There are plenty of art and cooking magazines to read, but no TV in the room we had (others do have it, so research carefully if you want it). The room was very quiet when no one was in the other half of the cabin. It is supplied with plenty of electrical outlets, good lights, soap, and nice towels. There is an outdoor pool which we did not use as it was small and seemed more suited for children. Breakfast is included, and well made, but I was given the wrong breakfast which I had not ordered one day. It was the same as I had had the previous day, and not worth complaining about the mistake, but it was still wrong. We were offered a choice of one time for a dinner reservation, but when we arrived, the dining room was almost empty, and there were only two other couples for dinner the entire time we were there. Our dinner lasted 2 1/4 hours, much longer than expected. The food and service were very good - the chef has won numerous awards nationally, but I am more a meat-and-potatoes man and not a fan of pretty but small portions. The price was also much higher than most restaurants, more on the line of what you would expect to pay in London or New York. We did not stay during what I would consider the high season - no fall colors, not skiing season, just an ordinary time of year. Now, this inn was nice, but I have stayed at quite a few places around the world that cost over $300 a night, and this inn was not in the same category as the others. Sugar Hill Inn would have been a good value at perhaps $200 a night. I would look elsewhere if I were returning to the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lipadad
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
I believe him. He was conflicted but it had nothing to do with price. He did not pay over $300 as he claims. He paid an average rate of $280 per night because it was a weekend in peak season. The inn was completely full. If he had come just a few days sooner he would paid the summer weekday rate of $200 per night. On the same trip they also stayed at the Inn at Shelburne Farms and their fall rates start at $320.

He was conflicted because he saw a wonderful inn but it wasn’t what he was looking for. I am not sure why this couple came to the Sugar Hill Inn. While they acknowledge our stylish rooms, great food, amenities, original art and gardens these do not seem to be things that they care about. The very first line of our home page described the inn as a romantic getaway known for culinary adventure. By his own admission he described himself as a meat and potato man and it doesn’t seem like they were looking for a romantic getaway either. As you can see from the guest’s excellent photograph, the Garden Room is very stylish and unique. It is one of our best sellers. It’s like taking the wrong person to a Red Socks Game or the Metropolitan Opera House.

Since buying the Inn 8 years ago we have worked very hard on making the “Inn Experience” relevant to the next generation of inn goers. We have focused on stylish rooms and have equipped then with items like Nespresso® Espresso machines, Boses Wave Radios®, good art and interesting books. Our bar is stocked with popular micro brews, single malt scotch and our wine list has earned the Wine Spectator Award for Excellence. In many ways we have more in common with boutique hotels then many traditional inns. Too many inns are like Grandma’s house with overpowering flowered wall paper, lacy curtains and too many knickknacks collecting dust. It was obvious that they wanted that old fashion traditional inn. We welcome all guests that are young at heart.

There was clearly a generation gap. The issues that concerned then such as the unpaved driveways and tub handrail are of little importance to most of our guests.

With regards to GPS some work and some don’t, however we are four minutes from the interstate with 3 simple well marked turns. Verizon has excellent cell coverage at the inn. We have a free guest phone that can be used to call anywhere.

It is no secret that our Four Course Dinner takes two hours. That is the beauty of fine dining. To me nothing is better than a leisurely dinner with my wife, enjoying delicious food, great wine and conversation. We love lingering over that last cup of coffee. It’s too bad that some find all that time together to be painful. Open Table has recently rated us as best in New Hampshire. I don’t know when they were last in New York or London but a dinner like ours would be three times the price. Our guests that frequent fine dining restaurants tell us that $63 is very reasonable for a meal of this quality.

Our pool is not for children nor is it a training facility for the Olympics. It’s a place to relax and enjoy the tranquility of the waterfall, the amazing view of Mt Layette and to cool off on a hot day.

We always have a choice of at least two hot entrees for breakfast and they change every day. Our local farm cage free eggs are delicious. Breakfast also includes Fair Trade coffee, tea or cappuccino, fresh baked muffins, a selection of juices, local jams and a fruit course. If you need anything just ask.

While it’s interesting and fun to read the reviews on Trip Advisor, the reality is that less than one half of one percent of our guests will write a review.

The Sugar Hill Inn is not for everyone. We understand that there is a very wide range of taste and preferences. We have created one of the most detailed and transparent websites in the industry. If they had done their homework they would have made a more informed choice and would not feel conflicted about unfairly criticizing a beautiful property.
New Orleans
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We did not have the opportunity to stay at this Inn, but found it as a venue for a great dining experience while in the New Hampshire area. The lobby was quaint. The owner, Steve, greeted us and had a plesant conversation with us while he fixed our cocktails. The restaurant was exquisite. The food was delicious and the service was helpful and knowledgeable. A 5 Star dining experience in the middle of rural New Hampshire.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We splashed out for our three nights here and were impressed with the luxurious main building and the friendly welcome from Steve and the gorgeous dog Katie. However the room we had (Wildflower) was too small for three people. For two it would have been perfect, as the bed was very comfortable but the sofa bed was awful. When the sofa bed was open, the room was too cramped to actually move and get to the bathroom.
The other problem was the lighting. With only a couple of lamps near the front door and bed, it was almost impossible to see anything on the other side of the room ie where the wardrobe is and where the only space for the suitcases was. I had to use the light from my iphone to look into my suitcase.
Breakfasts were delicious and even though we didn't eat dinner there, the menu looked amazing.
If there had been only two of us, I would have given it a 5/5 but for what we paid, one person in our party had three uncomfortable nights, which is just not good enough.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you for your praise “For two perfect…” “…impressed with the luxurious main building and the friendly welcome from Steve and the gorgeous dog Katie.” “…(Wildflower)… For two it would have been perfect, as the bed was very comfortable”… “Breakfasts were delicious and even though we didn't eat dinner there, the menu looked amazing”… “If there had been only two of us, I would have given it a 5/5”.

Our website and marketing materials make in very clear that we are a romantic getaway for couples and known for fine dining. While we do not exclude others evaluating us on any other criteria is highly unfair.

You knew that the 3rd person would be sleeping on a sleep sofa and we tried hard to discourage it. Being a romantic inn our rooms are designed for two. We understand for economic reasons you may not have wanted two rooms. For the price of a room for two you slept 3.

As the result of your feedback we are going to limit all of our rooms to two guests.
Penfield, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stopped here on our honeymoon road trip to Maine. We stayed in the Moses Aldrich room and loved it! The room was very clean, we were sad to mess anything up! Breakfast was delicious as well. We enjoyed meeting Katie, the dog, who reminded us of our puppies at home. We loved Sugar Hill Inn and hope to be back next year!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,358 reviews

Been to Sugar Hill Inn? Share your experiences!