“Fantastic Bed and Breakfast”
Review of Sugar Hill Inn

Sugar Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Sugar Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 17, 2013

What a wonderful place to stay - lovely hosts and the wonderful Katie dog who gave us a warm welcome .
Fabulous accomodation in a beautiful setting with lovely breakfasts and if you get the chance treat yourselves to the delicious four course dinner which was the highlight of our stay in New England. The surrounding area is enchanting especially as there were fields of lupines in flower at the time of our visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 17, 2013

From the moment we were greeted at the door by Karen and Katie (the most adorable dog) to the time we left we felt like we were in heaven! Our room (Richardson Suite) was very well appointed with all those lovely little extra touches - and of course a Nespresso machine for our morning coffee. Breakfasts were wonderful - maybe a little too much food!! and dinner on the first night delicious. Hope to come back at some time to this lovely retreat and have more time to explore the region.

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

First time here. Nice place. Located near the road so u could here the trucks at night . Breakfast was rushed. The inn keepers & staff were nice. Overall it was Just ok. Don't think this would make my list to revisit

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Joe M
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Joe,

I usually thank guests who write reviews. It takes time and a lot of careful thought to write a good review. We benefit from the feedback and those planning a trip get valuable insight.

However, you did not write that kind of review. You wrote a frivolous review. Taking 2 minutes on your mobile device, pulling scores from the thin air and writing the minimum number of sentences required. You said nothing to support your conclusions. You didn’t even write a single sentence about your room or the inn. The two and only points that you raised were both unlikely. The Wildflower is not anywhere near the road and between 11pm and 7 am the only traffic on our road is an occasional moose. Breakfast is never rushed. You can sit there all morning reading the newspaper and we will keep your coffee cup full.

Writing a review is not all about fun, games and ego. A frivolous review hurts the livelihood of the people who work in hospitality, gives trip planners erroneous information and harms the credibility of the TripAdvisor service. I have request that TripAdvisor remove this review. It is not worthy of the site.

I am not trying to embarrass Joe. I sent him a very nice email after reading this review that he chooses to ignore. I do feel badly that Joe came all the way from Long Island for it to be just “ok” so I seriously studied Joe’s other reviews looking for answers.

I discovered four things. (1) No hospitality property has ever delighted Joe. (2) Joe never talks about quality or attention to detail. (3) Joe instead of enjoying the luxury our Four Course fine dining experience went to the diner one night and a pizzeria the next night. (4) Joe is impressed by oversized portions at cheap prices. Based upon these findings I think that Joe picked the wrong place to stay and that is unfortunate.

We are not for everyone. Our website is very accurate and if only Joe had done his homework he would have seen that we are all about fine dining, stylish rooms, art, beauty, quality and lots of small details.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had a wonderful stay in the Garden room this August. The room was updated and worked fine for our needs. Only a minor complaint; wall is thin and we could actually hear the conversations in the room adjacent at times, but only if we were in the bathroom. Had a nice porch and view of the gardens and pool. Highlight for us was definitely the dinner. Please order the Caesar Salad if you are lucky enough to dine here. Unique presentation - light and delicious. Crème Brulee was also excellent. Their chef is top notch. Breakfast was great too. Owners and staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We will miss Katie the dog.

1  Thank Pat R
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

I would like to thank everyone that has taken the time to write us a review. We very carefully read every comment card and review. We are overwhelmed by so many wonder comments. Thank you.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sugar Hill Inn from August 8, 2013 to August 10, 2013. The "Dream Cottage" was exactly a dream. We arrived to find little chocolates on the nightstand, some gluten free cookies (I have a gluten allergy and made them aware beforehand), and many other things that we could use.

In the bathroom, near the jacuzzi tub, there were some candles with matches that we used at night. The tub was fantastic and had lights on the bottom to create the most romantic atmosphere. The light in the bathroom area had a dimmer switch so you could create your romance with the lighting. There was bath salts, body lotion, shampoo, conditioner and soap. Everything was provided and exquisite. My husband loved the "Nespresso" machine, which was like a Keurig, but with tiny espresso cups (regular and a few decaf ones). Each day, the maid replaced everything that we used, which was very nice.

I wish we would have known there was a microwave in the room, as well as silverware, wine glasses and a corkscrew. This wasn't advertised on their website, but was a pleasant surprise.

The bed was comfortable. The fireplace was nice and could be operated with a remote control. The only thing the bathroom could use was a makeup mirror, maybe attached to the wall near the bathroom vanity. It was a challenge to see close up in the large mirrors behind the vanity.

The shower was fantastic. The water sprayed out on your head, legs and feet. It was luxurious. The sauna was nice. Waking up in the morning was easy because even though there were shades on each window, the sun shone through the windows that didn't have them. It was bright pretty early, which made it easier to get up for the complimentary breakfast that was provided each day (TOTALLY worth getting up).

There was a binder provided in the room with lists of everything nearby, attractions, good restaurants, and shopping. I appreciated that because I wasn't familiar with that area of NH. The books provided in the room were interesting. I found myself taking one of the books out to the porch swing and drinking my tea. I loved reading about all the reviews for the Sugar Hill Inn in the many magazines and books in the room. I read about Val Fortin, who is the gourmet chef for the Inn. He is very well known, with exceptional reviews.

I must talk about our dinner experience there. I have never eaten so well! I have a terrible gluten allergy and the chef accommodated and it didn't affect how anything tasted. Perfect is an understatement. My husband is a lawyer in NH and has eaten at many different well known restaurants all over New England. He is "all about the food" as he always says. We sat in their restaurant and listened to the music in the background, playing on a Bose system of course (only the best for this place)! The music was well thought out, all romantic songs. We were served by this young man who was professional and kind. We ate a 5 course meal that was unlike anything I've ever eaten. Everything the chef made was delicious and I really can't think of any words to describe the enchanting experience we had there. My husband said it was like a symphony of flavor in each course we ate. It was well worth the money to eat there, if you can afford it!!

I was introduced to the very first wine I've ever liked. I explained to the waiter that I like fruity drinks and I wasn't big on any wine. He recommended a local wine and it was fantastic! The cheese they provided in one of the courses was perfect with the wine.

We didn't get to swim in the pool, which we really wanted to. It was raining out and we were too busy. It looked very inviting and private.. The view from the pool was incredible. Everything in this place was carefully thought out and they truly strive on creating the MOST romantic, comfortable, cozy atmosphere you could ever imagine.

The gardens outside were were beautiful. I liked the petunias they had in planters all over the property. It was cheery and very pretty. We will definitely be going back there. This place was worth every penny we spent.

1  Thank Tricia M
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write such a detailed review.
I am sure that others will find it very helpful and interesting.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary at Sugar Hill Inn's restaurant.

With a price fixed meal, 4 excellent courses, great service, nice atmosphere, we have to give it a 5 star review. You will not go home hungry or wanting.
We kept waiting for a shoe to drop as each course was served, we should not have worried.
We encourage you to experience a wonderful meal and really nice people.

2  Thank Tim M
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here for a night in mid-July and loved it. The point of our trip was to go hiking at Franconia Notch State Park, and this place was pretty close to it. The dog that lives there is adorable, the staff and owners are very nice, the Bickford Suite was stylishly decorated and included a huge bathroom, windowseat with a beautiful view of the mountains, and a Nespresso machine. It felt like we were in a chic NYC hotel room within a quaint New England B& B. Breakfast was very good as well. The house is old and classic, so the hallways are slim and the ceilings are low. The floor also slants and our bedroom door didn't match up with it. I had no problem with this, but if you care a lot about spatial dynamics and building logistics, you probably should seek out a hotel rather than a bed and breakfast. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: The Bickford Suite is great.