Sugar Hill Inn
Arlington Hotel(Bethlehem)
Thayers Inn(Littleton)
Littleton Motel(Littleton)
View Hotel
All reviewschef valwhite mountainsespresso machinenew hampshireculinary experiencecottage roomforest viewdog katiebette davislocal ingredientshill areaporch swingmain buildingcelebrate our anniversaryseparate buildingjacuzzi tubeach morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 15, 2013

What an incredible time! The Dream Cottage was beautiful, and enchanting!!! The food was amazing and the staff and Katie were awesome!!! We didint want to leave! Cant wait to book another romantic getaway to Sugar Hill Inn!

Room Tip: If you are looking for romance go with the dream cottage!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sheri M
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Highly recommended. The inn is just beautiful and the owners are lovely. Dinner was full when we stayed but the breakfast was just delicious as was the homebaked cookies on departure, lovely touch. Relatively expensive but worth every penny for a romantic escape to the stunning, snowy White Mountains

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank young_happy_tourist
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed at SHI for a two night stay over Thanksgiving weekend. We decided to stay in one of the higher end rooms (Richardson Suite) located off the library. We also included the dining package so that we could try the highly acclaimed restaurant for dinner.

As mentioned in the the title, the stay overall was very good. The room was spacious with a private porch and view out towards the pool. The king size bed was extremely comfortable as was the plush carpeting. The food at both breakfast and dinner was also most enjoyable.

On the other hand, there were also several points that fell below our expectations. When staying at a Select Registry property and paying top dollar for the room (posted rate of over $300 per night), I expect my expectations to at the very least be met if not exceeded. On this regard, it is my view that the Inn came up short on several points.

It appeared that only part of the bathroom had been upgraded otherwise how else to explain the small white plastic shower stall with outdated showerhead. In addition, the caulking around the tub needed to be redone (as mentioned in a previous review) and a big piece of paint chipped off the upper right hand corner above the shower.

While showing us to our room, we were told that the fireplace in the library would be turned down. We were also told to feel free to turn it up if we decided to spend time there but also to turn it down when we left. The same thing was told to us when we entered our room concerning the heat. Both the library and our room were quite cold when we entered each room. When we spent time in the library before dinner, we had to turn up the heat given how cold the room was at the time. I realize heating is expensive these days but I am not sure if the owners were being "green" or simply frugal.

With regard to frugal, we were also surprised that the amuse bouche at dinner (type of duck pate) was again served the following afternoon as the afternoon snack in the bar area. Was this simply a coincidence or leftovers from the night before?

When I made the reservation, I advised them that my wife and I would be celebrating our wedding anniversary. I made further mention of it in a follow up e-mail regarding another matter. We did notice that mention was made of our anniversary in the dinner reservation log located just outside the dining room. That being said, the innkeepers made no other mention of our anniversary during our entire stay. At the very least, I would have expected "we see you are celebrating an occasion...happy anniversary!" at check in.

In our folder in our room, information was provided regarding recommended sites and restaurants. The folder also made mention of "suggested" tipping. We have stayed at several high end bed and breakfasts and this was the first time we were advised to consider tipping both the server at breakfast and the person who cleaned our room. What we found especially odd was the suggestion that the tip for the person who cleaned our room should be commensurate with the size of the room.

This last point most probably has something to do with the age of the Inn and therefore nothing most probably can be done about it. That being said, it is my view that people who plan to stay in this room should be made aware of it. The issue I am referring to is the noise coming from the upstairs plumbing. Our room was located on the first floor and every time someone either took a shower or flushed the toilet upstairs, it was extremely obvious to us. Usually, hearing other guests use the facilities does not bother us but in this case it was extremely obvious when they were being used given the extent of the noise and therefore somewhat annoying.

Despite these issues, my wife and I still had a nice time during our brief getaway. Hopefully, the issues that I made mention of will be addressed by the innkeepers to make future stays even more pleasant for guests

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SirTeddy
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you so much for celebrating your anniversary with us. On any given weekend about 80% of our guests are celebrating a special occasion. Anniversaries, birthdays, engagements etc. are our specialty. At the Sugar Hill Inn we have everything needed to make an anniversary very special. The guest rooms at the Inn are designed with romance in mind. Many have fireplaces, whirlpool tubs for two, cozy love seats, Bose® cd players and great views. All of our rooms have soft sexy robes and chocolates.

The candle light dinner at the inn is perfect for romance and celebration. Our leisurely dinner, comfortable surroundings and great wine sets the perfect stage for those intimate conversations we so value.

Several romance packages can be selected to enhance your good time with flowers, champagne, chocolate truffles or cheese and fruit. Many partners call ahead with special instructions. We can also help you plan sleigh rides in winter and picnics in summer. You bring the spark we have the kindling.

Karen and I are very sensitive to the needs of our guests. Some are very social and want to engage us in conversation. That is great, we love the interaction. Others are here for a very private time together and we respect their privacy. Every night I am in the Tavern not just to make drinks and seat folks in the dining room but to be there for our guests. In the mornings, Karen can always be found either in the dining room or at the front desk. We are sorry if we did not correctly read this couples needs.

The Richardson Suite does not have a small plastic shower. Let me describe the room. The room is large (12’x7’) with attractive ceramic tiles. An oval whirlpool for two sits under a double window. We provide candles for those long soaks. Across from the tub is a standard size fiberglass shower that complements the whirlpool.

Our library with interesting books, games and travel information has a gas fireplace and we encourages guests to set the thermostat to their personal comfort level. While some might call me frugal because I lower the thermostat when the room is empty, most people see our generous side. We love giving out homemade cookies for the ride home, having out fresh fruit for the taking and having complementary bottled water, chocolates and coffee & espresso in our rooms. Don’t forget to come for “Small Bites” at 4pm. Many packages include a free happy hour cocktail. We are currently giving out free lift tickets.

While at any hospitality property noise between rooms may be an occasional problem, as I study our 135 Tripadvisor reviews and guest comment cards, this does not seem to be an issue for guests.

Maintenance is a continuous activity at the Sugar Hill Inn. We have our own maintenance person on staff. The two minor issues that were raised were fixed immediately upon their departure and before the writing of this review.

Thank you for your review and Merry Christmas.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We recently had a girls' weekend in New Hampshire/Vermont and we picked the perfect place to stay. Clean, cozy, well decorated and charming. Great wine list. I cannot wait go back! Steve, the owner was very friendly and made the inn that much more inviting. It is the best B and B I have stayed at to date. There is so much beauty and things to do in the area and the inn fits right in. Great food and staff make it a memorable and trip worthy experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We found the inn very cozy and inviting. Our room was very clean, bed very comfortable. We were let down that there was not a TV, however, the CDs provided gave us a nice break away from the TV. A wonderful selection of teas and coffees were provided in the room. The staff was very helpful in offering dinner suggestions in the area and the dinner we had at the inn was delicious. The front desk was also very helpful in helping us plan out excursions.
The waiting dog on the back porch from the kitchen was so welcoming as we came through the back door. She ran to our room door to greet us upon our return. Beautiful fall setting.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank overbuget
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed the Garden Cottage. That room was completely renovated in the spring of 2012. Everyone loves those Bose CD players.

Having a TV in your room is as easy as selecting a room with a TV. Traditionally romantic inns such as ours did not have in room TVs. Generally other activates are on the addenda and TV is a distraction. Most of our competitors do not have in room TV. We have taken a different approach. Half of our rooms have TV and half don’t. We have people who thank us for having rooms without TV. Even people who arrive concerned about TV tell us at checkout how relaxing it is with all of the electronics turned off. It’s your choice. The following rooms have TV; Dream, Richardson, Peckett, Moses, Bickford, Perennial and Wildflower. Our website clearly indicates whether a room has television.