“Inconsistent food, sluggish service”
Review of Sugar Hill Inn

Sugar Hill Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Sugar Hill Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Sugar Hill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Route 116
Description: Sugar Hill Inn is a romantic getaway known for culinary adventure. We have a European philosophy about dining. The table is yours for the evening. Take your time to enjoy the candlelight, cozy fire and amazing views with the combination of great food, wine and conversation. Our four course menu offers a well balance symphony of flavors and leads guests through a leisurely, romantic and artistic culinary experience. Great wines and a full bar selection enhances the experience. The Sugar Hill Inn has received the Distinguished Restaurants of North America (DiRoNA)"s Achievement of Distinction in Dining award and the Wine Spectator Award! Member of the Select Registry, Yankee Magazine Editors' Choice and featured in "Everyday with Rachel Ray.
Hartford, CT
“Inconsistent food, sluggish service”
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Overall, I was disappointed with this restaurant. I believe the other reviewers (reviewing the restaurant under the Inn entry, rather than the Restaurant entry) that they enjoyed their meals, and I believe Sugar Hill Inn is more than capable of putting together a nice meal for someone. But I did not have that experience.

My wife and I arrived a half hour early for our 7:30 reservation so we could have a drink at the bar. However we were not seated until about 7:40, evidently because they were not ready at 7:30. This is not that big a deal, but I do find it a bit rude. I made a reservation and arrived early; they had plenty of time to figure out how to coordinate the kitchen and the staff with respect to the other diners (all 8 of them), yet they failed to do so.

My first course was scallops: no complaints, perfectly executed. My wife had the soup special, three of the chef's favorite soups. The gazpacho was excellent, but the seafood stew was way oversalted (I'm no expert chef, but that's cooking 101 stuff), and the butternut squash soup was good but definitely not a summer soup.

After just over a half-hour wait, our second course of salad arrived. My wife had a fig and mushroom salad, no complaints there. My caesar salad was a misfire. It seemed like an attempt at culinary deconstruction: the lettuce part was fine, but the parmesan took the form of a burned-to-the-point-of-inedible bowl holding the lettuce, which was sitting on top of a blob of unappetizing, near-flavorless custard. I think the idea was to separate out the eggs from the dressing. Whatever the purpose, it was weird and not very good.

After another wait of almost 40 minutes, our entrees came. That means that over the course of over an hour, the only thing we had to eat was salad. Needless to say we were ravenous when the entrees arrived. I had an aged strip steak that was fantastic; cooked perfectly, and came out nice and hot. My wife's salmon tasted good, but was lukewarm when it was served. Again, cooking 101 stuff, especially considering there were still only 3-4 tables being served at this point.

The only unequivocally good course was dessert. I got a chocolate dessert that had a thick shot of cappucinno and some minted truffles that were truly outstanding. My wife had a ginger trio: ice cream, creme brulee, and pot de creme all with ginger, and all delicious.

Then we waited for our waitress to give us the check, and had to wait an extra 20 minutes because our waitress disappeared before taking our credit card (we were the last people in the dining room at this point). Turns out she was watching the olympics in the bar, because she assumed we were guests at the inn and were charging the meal to our room.

It was 10:50 when we left. Over three hours at the table. This wasn't an instance of a restaurant trying to create a very intimate, romantic atmosphere for gourmet dining; other diners were allowed in wearing t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers. This was simply botched service.

2 Thank James221