“Terrific weekend!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Sanbornville B&B and Inns
Newton, Massachusetts
“Terrific weekend!”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Had a terrific weekend at the Wakefield Inn in Wakefield, NH. Gretchen and Janel were wonderful hosts and everything was perfect. The room was fantastic, the food was superb and we were even able to have individual massages and take a cooking class with Janel! The location in the Lakes Region and also near Maine is great. The Inn is intimate and we made several new friends among the other guests sitting in front of the fire sipping Champagne. All the amenities that make you feel right at home while being pampered!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Had a wonderful time here. The room (Sanborn room) was fantastic, the bed was comfortable, the staff was friendly and the food was great. Hope to have a chance to get back there. Definitely worth the trip!

Room Tip: Sanborn room was great. Nice King bed.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Had a very nice quiet getaway with nice quaint charm. Had a beautiful sunset and sunrise. Slept great and enjoyed the area.

Gloucester, MA
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Upon arrival at the Wakefield Inn we were not impressed by the appearance of the Inn and the state of the grounds but it was early November and they had had a busy season the place could have used a little paint and a leaf blower.We came a little early Janel said we could come at 2 instead of 3 because they had altered our cooking class for the next day to 4 o clock on check in to accommodate a film crew. We actually arrived at 1 and were greeted by a rather unhappy Gretchenl. We told her we just wanted to make sure we found it and would be back later. When we returned she was much more cordial and showed us around before showing us our room.The interior of the Inn was spacious ,clean and comfortable. The room was fine would have been nice to have a tv and the bed-boards fell out when we sat down on it Oh well we are troopers we just put them back in. Had to hurry for our cooking class.The class was fun we made fresh pasta and rolls and a gratin which was all part of our wine paired dinner served after the class for the three couples in the class, Breakfast was nice the next morning homemade muffins, applesauce, mushroom pepper onion omelets with jack cheese. The included 1 hr each massage was amazing Marie was so passionate about her job. My Michael had never had one before and she put him right at ease. Breakfast again the next morning was very nice apple scones spiced waffles strawberries and melon. Then they packed us a lovely picnic lunch to take with us when we left. All in all it was a very nice place to relax and have a quiet 2 nights, We would definitely return if we needed to be in that area, All of what I said that was included was part of a package they sold last January they no longer offer that package but I am sure they will accommodate you if you asked for any of the services. Definitely get a massage from Marie or I heard David was very good too. Happy travels to all!

Room Tip: Look online at their site and choose from the pictures and description we didn't have that optio...
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 8, 2011

My husband, 6 month old son and I stayed at the Wakefield Inn for two nights. I have to say I had read the reviews prior to our arrival and was worried that we would be met with unwelcoming behavior and nothing was farther from the truth. Gretchen was very warm towards my son and was very accomodating in showing us around the beautiful common rooms and in helping us to our room. We were provided with a pack n play for our son (we had let them know ahead of time that he was coming with us) and were even permitted to switch to a larger unoccupied room to house all of his various items. Gretchen was very helpful in suggesting activities and even keeping an eye on our son while we dined. The rooms were beautiful with historical context and appropriate decor. Very comfortable. Yes, the bathrooms were tiny and there were not many channels on tv but we weren't there to enjoy cable tv. I was happy to have drinks available all night to us in the dining area and we were very warm. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The best sheets I have ever slept on. The food was delicious and I enjoyed eating with the other guests. I can say that the owner, Janelle may come across as brusque as first, but she is not truly that way once you talk to her. I think she is just a direct person and othes may find that oft putting. I found her to be very entertaining and funny. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the cooking classes she offered and liked her very much. I recommend the Wakefield Inn to any couple looking for a getaway!

Nottingham, England
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We arrived at the Wakefield as part of a small party around tea time and were met at the door by, as we now believe, Janel, the owner. The first meeting was not friendly and at first slightly took us aback.
The building looked lovely and we were shown to our rooms. My wife and I occupied the Thompson room on the second floor and was charmingly appointed however the size of the enclosed bathroom left a lot to be desired as only one person could use it at anyone time.
On the ground floor there were well furnished rooms for relaxing and was in keeping with the age of the building and were pleasant. The dining area and attached sitting lounge were lovely as was the view of the rear garden from the dining room.
The breakfast was simple and very tasty but we found we had to ask for items such as orange juice as they were not offered readily.
On subsequent days we met and spoke to the manager who I recall as being Gretchen who was so friendly and helpful with always a smile for you and full of information about the area and points to visit
As stated by previous reviewers attention needs to be addressed by the owner to be more warming to visitors attending what is a lovely bed and breakfast in a truly lovely area of New Hampshire.
When in this area a must visit is the the Castle in the Clouds just north of Wolfborogh, this was recommended by Gretchen and we were not diappointed.
I would again visit the Wakefield but would appreciate a little more friendliness, other than this small detail we enjoyed our stay at the Wakefield and would recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank police43
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed October 19, 2011

My husband and I took advantage of the Living Social deal that many other reviewers have mentioned. Overall, we had a lovely weekend. The inn is old and needs renovation but it was cosy in its own way. We stayed in the Sanborn room and it was comfortable enough though we heard lots of creaks and sounds of other guests up and down the stairs. The bathroom was old and awkward to get to - it had a couple of extra steps and I almost twisted my ankle because I forgot to step down in the middle of the night. The TV in the room only showed 5 channgels, though the downstairs had many many more (why not offer the same cable to the guests upstairs?). The food was good, excellent molten chocolate cake, puffed pancake, and mushroom bisque, ok flank steak, duck, and onion tarte. However, our biggest complaint about the place is the attitude that Gretchen (the inn manager/assistant) and Janel (chef/owner) had toward us. Gretchen was not friendly or warm and we requested a change in our schedule for the weekend and she was accommodating but not particularly nice about it. She did not smile as us once the whole weekend. Janel was brusque on the verge of being rude. She did not introduce herself or greet us. She did not offer us fruit or juice at breakfast (we had to ask for it). She warmed up a little in the cooking class, which was interesting and informative. But most importantly, she managed to complain on multiple occasions about how tired she was after a long season, could we believe she had taught 75 cooking classes? and that she was ready for a break. Listen, I appreciate that she had a busy season, but why should we pay for this? Isn't that the life of the innkeeper, that one has a busy season and a quiet season? I believe that an innkeeper should be warm, nurturing, and kind. That a guest should feel welcomed into his/her home. This was not the case at the Wakefield Inn. Maybe we caught these two on an off weekend?

Room Tip: The Sanborn room has a king sized bed.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornville
The Wolfeboro Inn
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
The Windrifter Resort
The Windrifter Resort
#6 of 6 in Wolfeboro

Been to The Wakefield Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!